'29 Chevy RPU from junk

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only thing I know about Tokens is they sang "The Lion Sleeps Tonight":D

Seems like you are correct OI and old28. I just don't have enough "currency".

Al Korda has been successful on a regional and national level. He owned the track and ran it well but didn't have the capital to make improvements. The new owner is well funded.
The first time I ran the dragster at Rock Falls Al teched it. He took a quick look and said it was well-built. I appreciated that.

I picked up some paneling that is 1/8" thick, three ply plywood. Turned the pretty side in and am using the back side for the visible side. A coat of shellac seals the deal. The door panels and the rear quarter panels are cut out and ready to screw in place.

I've began putting the parts together for the 4.0 Jeep stroker engine. The 258 crankshaft is ready to be ground. Unfortunately I'm not going into that area of Minneapolis for obvious reasons.

Attachments

• panel 001.jpg
    panel 001.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 33
  • panel 002.jpg
    panel 002.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 34
Only thing I know about Tokens is they sang "The Lion Sleeps Tonight":D

Seems like you are correct OI and old28. I just don't have enough "currency".

Al Korda has been successful on a regional and national level. He owned the track and ran it well but didn't have the capital to make improvements. The new owner is well funded.
The first time I ran the dragster at Rock Falls Al teched it. He took a quick look and said it was well-built. I appreciated that.

I picked up some paneling that is 1/8" thick, three ply plywood. Turned the pretty side in and am using the back side for the visible side. A coat of shellac seals the deal. The door panels and the rear quarter panels are cut out and ready to screw in place.

I've began putting the parts together for the 4.0 Jeep stroker engine. The 258 crankshaft is ready to be ground. Unfortunately I'm not going into that area of Minneapolis for obvious reasons.

[cl[cl That Lion Sleeps Tonight quip took me a minute, good one.

Stay safe out there Bob, definitely some scary stuff in your neck of the woods.

Been a long time coming. Finally, I can say. "final assembly". The floor, gas pedal, driveshaft and trans cover are in place. Next will be the seats, doors and side pipes. Then, the moment of truth; will the Craigslist transmission work as advertised? Also the brakes are not good but might work for test rides around the neighborhood.
I threw in a pic of the 4.0 Jeep block that is ready to go to the engine shop to be crack checked and to see if it needs to be bored.
Minneapolis has calmed down enough so I can take the crankshaft in to be ground and polished.

Attachments

• final 001.jpg
    final 001.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 34
  • final 002.jpg
    final 002.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 34
  • final 003.jpg
    final 003.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Bob, you know your not in "Final Assembly", you always find something to improve on. ;)

That is a nice looking 7 bearing crank setup. How big can you safely bore the motor & what CI would it be. Are large aftermarket pistons out there? Does their stock head flow better than a stock 300 head? Are you going to put bigger valves in the head? What kind of HP might it make?

Should make a fine motor for the crosley. What trans will you use?

Gradually putting more parts in place. The grass is growing so fast you can practically hear it so I'm spending a lot of time walking behind my LawnBoy and not as much as I should be on the roadster.

old28, I'm pretty much copying a build recipe I found on You Tube for a 300 hp. engine. Won't bore it if it doesn't require it. Should be around 280 inches. I'm building the economy short rod version, using a 258 crank and rods and 4.0 pistons. The more costly version uses after market 4.0 long rods and aftermarket forged pistons. Mine should be around 10:1 compression when it is zero decked.
I have the best stock head with 1.91" intakes and 1.5" exhausts. Will do port matching and bowl porting. Probably go with a regrind cam from Oregon Cams again.
This engine should make 300 ft. lbs of torque from down low to about 5,000rpms. With peak horsepower at a little over 300.

Attachments

• gru 005.jpg
    gru 005.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 38
  • gru 006.jpg
    gru 006.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 33
Thanks for the motor information, sounds like a sweet motor for the drag race Crosley. [cl

Seats look real cool, hope I get a chance to try one on for a cruise next summer. ;):cool:

old28, send me your address so I can ship the roadster to you.[ddd
My friend Ron stopped in to see how my never ending projects are going. He did all the work on his '36 including a garage paint job that looks terrific even after several years.
Yes, Tripper, isn't that steering wheel sweet? Thanks Bonehead.

Attachments

• rons 001.jpg
    rons 001.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 19
  • rons 002.jpg
    rons 002.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Well bob, if I had a 2 car garage that ride would be on it's way. ;) Dixie car has rights to the space, by 71 300 F250 stays out in the weather.:rolleyes: Old dragster drivers can be hard to deal with, but she's helping keep me alive so I can't complain to much. Love the true low ride RR look, the finish color
(natural) is already on it, you don't even have to brush paint her.:)

My Own Side Shot Saturday

This is the way it will go out the door. Now putting some military surplus seat belts in it. Not much left to do. Hopefully the test drive won't reveal too many problems. Should happen next week.
Building an underslung chassis and using the slant six engine presented some problems that took longer to solve.
Throw in all the medical poo poo we elderly fellas face and a one year project becomes a two plus year project.
I can do a video of it, but I don't know how to post it. Sure would like to show it that way.
Notice there is 5" of ground clearance at the back of the cab and a little under 4" at the low point in front.

Attachments

• side 001.jpg
    side 001.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 36
  • side 002.jpg
    side 002.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 32
  • side 003.jpg
    side 003.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 32
  • side 004.jpg
    side 004.jpg