1965 Fargo 100

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wife was talking in my other ear and wasting my precious time... blah, blah, blah, Charlie Brown's teacher... but I'll finish my post anyway...

New shock position, after re-reading Mercury Mac's reply a while back I just had to change them. I had to make some clearance on the inside rear of the C notch to clear the shock, but I will weld a patch plate in the opening and it should be as strong as ever.
Ya think this will work better?

I do. I'm with the belief, shocks should be angled (near as possible) to the axle's travel arc. The diagram below should help to clarify, at least for a street car with triangulated 4 links and relatively free articulation...

attachment.php

Attachments

• SHOCK angle.jpg
    SHOCK angle.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Sorry Dozer, I didn't mean to push you around. In my mind you were safe enough with the upper suspension arms triangulated like they are. My vertical shocks, way back when, did not stop the side to side dance of the rear-end and I had nothing else keeping the rear-end lined up either. I like what you did, though.

Wife was talking in my other ear and wasting my precious time... blah, blah, blah, Charlie Brown's teacher... but I'll finish my post anyway...

I do. I'm with the belief, shocks should be angled (near as possible) to the axle's travel arc. The diagram below should help to clarify, at least for a street car with triangulated 4 links and relatively free articulation...

attachment.php

Thanks Doc, that is the reason the first install didn't sit well with me.

Sorry Dozer, I didn't mean to push you around. In my mind you were safe enough with the upper suspension arms triangulated like they are. My vertical shocks, way back when, did not stop the side to side dance of the rear-end and I had nothing else keeping the rear-end lined up either. I like what you did, though.

Thanks
No push at all MM, just a gentle nudge that got my G Tard brain to thinking it should be done better. :D

Today I got the rear suspension all finished off. Both shocks mounted and gusseted. Old shock mounts cut off, and ground smooth.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

And another video. :D https://youtu.be/PIo4R_v1Xh4

Attachments

• Rear suspension done 001.jpg
    Rear suspension done 001.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Rear suspension done 002.jpg
    Rear suspension done 002.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Rear suspension done 003.jpg
    Rear suspension done 003.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Rear suspension done 004.jpg
    Rear suspension done 004.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 48
A little more progress. Pic of the bump stop to prove it happened, I built a complicated gusset/brace for the upper links on the top of the diff case, and almost have the fuel tank mount complete.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Resize of Tank 001.jpg
    Resize of Tank 001.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Resize of Tank 002.jpg