Questions Rat rod with no title HELP!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wampler234

i have been thinking about bluiding another rat and i was just wondering what i would have to do if i started with a 37 chevy that had no title... i live in kansas and ANY help would be great!!! once i got it done what would i need to get a title for it?

Talk to people in your state that had the same issue. There are ways around it but not 100% legal.

Each state is different.

The most important thing is the title has to match the numbers on the car. Insurance companies won't pay off if paperwork doesn't match and stamping numbers or afixing a bogus vin plate won't work. In California, only the CHP can issue a new vin and afix them to your vehicle.

title

Find something with a title,its just not worth putting money and time into any vehicle without proof of ownership and legally registered .It can bite you right where it hurts the most,your wallet.:cool:

Title it before you start. In Oregon it is pretty easy if you do it before you start work. I did my '42 after it was a driver and it was harder but not real bad. I got it done in one day.

I guess another question could be...do you want a title that matches the original year of the vehicle or will a "new construction" title be acceptable?

Many states have provisions to issue a title as a "new construction" vehicle. The caveat is, the vehicle must meet all current the DMV regs in effect for the year the title is issued. Check with your local DMV.

In either instance, I would get cracking on a title right away as these process times can become quite long.

I just went through the "title madness". Once I aquired all of the major parts I checked with my DMV on how to proceed. I had an out of state title to the engine and frame. Old Florida registrations were useless.... The out of state title was good in MI, if I had lived there.... FL said it had been purged from the system. At this time they told me to put the car together and take it to their inspection station to verify the VIN and mileage...I told them to pound salt at that point.....Next step was to trailer the pieces to a local used car dealer who verified the VIN and odometer reading and filled out a special DMV sheet.
Got insurance on the parts pile. Went down to DMV...still not right. Talked to a supervisor...Oh the special DMV sheet has to be on the used car lots letterhead.....I pointed out to here that the used car owner had stamped their name in the center of the sheet...the supervior OK'ed it...5 minuts later I had a new FL title to a mess of parts.... back and forth with DMV took about 6 months.... And with a blue and white license plate....not

I'm going through this exact thing right now with my 67 Camaro. Florida sucks :mad:

I just went through the "title madness". Once I aquired all of the major parts I checked with my DMV on how to proceed. I had an out of state title to the engine and frame. Old Florida registrations were useless.... The out of state title was good in MI, if I had lived there.... FL said it had been purged from the system. At this time they told me to put the car together and take it to their inspection station to verify the VIN and mileage...I told them to pound salt at that point.....Next step was to trailer the pieces to a local used car dealer who verified the VIN and odometer reading and filled out a special DMV sheet.
Got insurance on the parts pile. Went down to DMV...still not right. Talked to a supervisor...Oh the special DMV sheet has to be on the used car lots letterhead.....I pointed out to here that the used car owner had stamped their name in the center of the sheet...the supervior OK'ed it...5 minuts later I had a new FL title to a mess of parts.... back and forth with DMV took about 6 months.... And with a blue and white license plate....not

I went through this with my rod a few years back , and I live in Kansas , The leading rectangle state. I had no identifing numbers on any part of the car. I went through a lawer and it took months to get a title. I ended up with the state of ks asigning me a title and registraion plate they istall on the car. It was quite expensive. Had to have a state trooper stamp a number in my frame. When the trooper was there he told me I could have made it a lot easier if I would have had a bill of sale from KS with some matching number on the car. He said it did not mater what the number was , but it had to match up with the bill of sale. I could have stamped any number in or on the car and had a freind write me a bill of sale and that would have been good enough. Seems I always learn the hard way.
hope this helps

In Oklahoma we have a "title 42". I contacted a title company,(Bray Title Service 580-363-3939) they sent me some papers to fill out, basically putting a mechanics lean on the truck. Send them $75.00 and wait and they send back some papers you take down to the tag office and they mail you a title. I think it may be harder if there wasnt any numbers to go by.

well im planning on buying a 23 model a coupe and i have been scanning the net and ive read a few things saying model a cars dont have a vin number they just had a number on the motor... also ive read that in Kansas if the car is older than like 48 you dont need a title just a bill of sale.....is this true?

This titleing issue comes up regularaly here. The only info that is of value is Kansas only info. Talk to Kansas builders who have already done what you are trying to do RECENTLY and which office of the DMV they used.It's important to know that because even clerks at the DMV can be confused about what is required!
The title is the first hurdle.Then depending on Kansas rules there may be a safety inspection and you need to know what to expect there. It gets done in every state and Kansas won't be the most difficult one.

Last edited:
I'm thinking you need to find a hot rod friendly trooper to discuss this with.

I went through this with my rod a few years back , and I live in Kansas , The leading rectangle state. I had no identifing numbers on any part of the car. I went through a lawer and it took months to get a title. I ended up with the state of ks asigning me a title and registraion plate they istall on the car. It was quite expensive. Had to have a state trooper stamp a number in my frame. When the trooper was there he told me I could have made it a lot easier if I would have had a bill of sale from KS with some matching number on the car. He said it did not mater what the number was , but it had to match up with the bill of sale. I could have stamped any number in or on the car and had a freind write me a bill of sale and that would have been good enough. Seems I always learn the hard way.
hope this helps

Eman..even DMV title clerk get confused??? Nooooo!:D
Good advice though. Stick to your state because everyone has different rules, regulations and procedures.

Kansas was a no tilte state until 1975. If you have the VIN and a bill of sale from kansas, it says at the bottom that for vehicles produced prior to 1975 the bill of sale acts as title, you should have no problem.

I have a 38 GMC with a Kansas Bill Of sale, that is where I bought it, no problems to get it tilted in Louisiana.

So glad i live in GA when it comes to a title[cl
Not sure if this would help anyone but thought i would throw it up here,
Melvins in conyors GA sells blank repro vin plates for several ford models. If you have an old title u could stamp ur own vin.

Latest posts

Back