Torchie needs a meeting followed by a 7-11 to hold up..

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torchie

Well I went and did it.
I've been eyeballing this one from a distance for 10 years now.
Since the grass is still down and I'm a bit stir crazy I gave it a better look today.
1949 Plymouth Suburban. First year of production.
Waiting to hear on a price.:eek: :)
I'm weak.Keep me in your thoughts......[ddd
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-8.jpg
    2-8.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 2-1.jpg
    2-1.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 2-3.jpg
    2-3.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 2-5.jpg
    2-5.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 2-6.jpg
    2-6.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 2-7.jpg
    2-7.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 41
Ya know, Torchie, no painter could recreate the patina that nature has done on that car. It would be great just clear coated to protect it. As the patina is in exactly the right places.

Love that body style, hope you score it.

Well I went and did it.
I've been eyeballing this one from a distance for 10 years now.
Since the grass is still down and I'm a bit stir crazy I gave it a better look today.
1949 Plymouth Suburban. First year of production.
Waiting to hear on a price.:eek: :)
I'm weak.Keep me in your thoughts......[ddd
Torchie

[cl[cl[cl
[P[P[P

Me too.[dr
Ya know, Torchie, no painter could recreate the patina that nature has done on that car. It would be great just clear coated to protect it. As the patina is in exactly the right places.

Love that body style, hope you score it.

Patina for sure,Don. It looks to have been repainted once using a broom.[ddd[cl
I may head back there tomorrow to see if I can get up on the ridge where it is sitting for a closer look.:)

Very good score!! Hope it works out!!
Me too lb50. Not sure about the rest of the household though.:eek:
Torchie

Looks like all flat glass, Torchie. Chop, chop? [ddd

Yes it's all flat, Crank.:D
There have been a few of these chopped,(probably more then a few. According to the internet) the problem I have with most of them is that they chop them too much. Makes them look like a rolling pill box to me.:eek:
If I were to chop it, IF, I said. 3 inches at the A pillar. Most likely the same at the rear because they are boxy. Where I would do it differently would be to angle the B pillar (or all the pillars) to give it more of a "Nomad" type look as well as a bit more lean to the rear pillar/ upper hatch area.
Then of courseI'd probably want to give it a section too. Oh mama...stop me.:eek:[ddd
So if your bored Crank. break out the photo shop.....:D :D :cool: :cool:
[P [P [P
Torchie

Attachments

• 82439_Side_Profile_Web.jpg
    82439_Side_Profile_Web.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
If you score it what are your plans?[P[P[P[P

LOL.
Who knows kenny. My vision of it changed 3 times just on the 15 minute drive home.[cl [ddd
I know one thing. Parts for the 49-50 Plymouth are more prevalent then they are for the same era Dodge.:cool:
Torchie

Yes it's all flat, Crank.:D
There have been a few of these chopped,(probably more then a few. According to the internet) the problem I have with most of them is that they chop them too much. Makes them look like a rolling pill box to me.:eek:
If I were to chop it, IF, I said. 3 inches at the A pillar. Most likely the same at the rear because they are boxy. Where I would do it differently would be to angle the B pillar (or all the pillars) to give it more of a "Nomad" type look as well as a bit more lean to the rear pillar/ upper hatch area.
Then of courseI'd probably want to give it a section too. Oh mama...stop me.:eek:[ddd
So if your bored Crank. break out the photo shop.....:D :D :cool: :cool:
[P [P [P
Torchie

The hardest part of chopping that one would be that not only the windshield slants back, but the rear area slants forward, so once you cut and lower the lid, it will be too short and need a filler piece to stretch it back out to meet up.

Not that this is impossible, just a lot of work. Personally, I like the look of this one stock, but that is just me.

The hardest part of chopping that one would be that not only the windshield slants back, but the rear area slants forward, so once you cut and lower the lid, it will be too short and need a filler piece to stretch it back out to meet up.

Not that this is impossible, just a lot of work. Personally, I like the look of this one stock, but that is just me.

I like it stock too, Don.:cool::D[cl
Truthfully it's not all that different then chopping a 40's or early 50's sedan roof. Just more of it.:eek: [ddd
Windshield leans back. Rear window leans forward.
With a 3 inch chop you get about a 2 inch gap that would have to be filled.
You could lean the rear window area forward more ( like you do on a sedan chop) to move everything ahead.
The big thing would be what to do about the B and C pillars. When you move the roof ahead all those will be out of alignment as well. If you angle them , it give the car a "Forward Motion" look. But then you are also reshaping all the side windows to.
Lots to think about.[S
Torchie

Hers some quick pics I found.
First one is from back in the day. This one still around and back in the hands of the sons of the man that built.
Second one shows the B pillar leaned forward. Then they made it into a panel that takes care of the B and C pillar questions.
Third one shows the angled B pillar as well and a long side glass.
Fourth one is my favorite. Stock roof with mild custom touches like shaved door handles and frenched headlights . And a nice stance change.
Torchie

Attachments

• 400px-Cerny-1950-plymouth-suburban.jpg
    400px-Cerny-1950-plymouth-suburban.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 9e8ad80468ad7db855ae52ca969c5227.jpg
    9e8ad80468ad7db855ae52ca969c5227.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 29
  • fed5c9a3f94df21f8ce6a4fd94df3385--my-cousin-cousins.jpg
    fed5c9a3f94df21f8ce6a4fd94df3385--my-cousin-cousins.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 2e30799ae947c4734c62ba012fff7c04.jpg
    2e30799ae947c4734c62ba012fff7c04.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 36
hmm love these old mopar wagons.. reckon youre on to it Torchie,, 3/4th pictures really lift the body shape.. nice and smooth .. good score by the way !

[ddd[ddd DO IT !!!!![ddd[ddd

[P[P

I can relate on " I built 3-30 different versions on the way home"
Had the opportunity to buy one of these 30+ yrs ago ... and I passed
regretted ever since...

Almost bought one of those several years ago, I've always liked them. The guy wanted way too much at the time. Personally, I like the roof stock height, I just think it has such good proportions already. I've seen a couple in person where they've kept the stock height but modified the rear side glass to be one full fixed piece of glass and I feel that's the one modification that really improves the looks of these cars. Sweeping the posts looks good but it removes the style charm of the era, to me. Just my 2 cents.

Keep us posted!

My mom had one back in the late '60s. One night I borrowed it. It was the only time I recall getting pulled over for driving to slowly. :D We were distracted. :rolleyes: I think... [S The recollection is kind of foggy.

I wouldn't mind being seen in one now.

Latest posts

Back