Corvair steering box

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vht

Anyone have experience with the Speedway or Ron Pope reversed corvair box? I put one on my 28, brand new from Ron Pope and it had considerable play in it. In fact it was about as much as the wore out original I pulled off. The adjustment screw sticks out a mile on these so I started screwing it in, a bunch, until I got the play out of it. Seems fine now I just hope it seems fine on the road. I'd purchased it a good while ago a long with some other stuff and the only time I had it out was for mock up. Just seemed funny to me that I had to adjust a new box, maybe it slipped through like that?

I've never messed with one, myself.

Ron Pope (RPM) was an active member here, though we haven't seen him for some time... unless something drastic has changed, he was always helpful and stood behind his products.

I'd think he'd be happy to answer your question and make it right. Call him @ (865) 932-7541

https://www.eztbucket.com/

I think I got him on FB, I've dealt with him a good bit but I've had this thing a while now plus I had to modify it a little the way I mounted it. It's smooth now, no tight spots so I'm hoping it's fine. Hope so because I think it was around $300 or more for it and the pit man arm.

I bought a new one for my 33 Pontiac and it was the same way, had to be adjusted to take up the looseness :confused:[S
It's worked fine for 6 years now.

I wonder what they do about people that screw one down to tight? How would you warranty one? You'd think they would send it out the door adjusted and ready.

Both of my son are running new versions of the old Corvair boxes (I forget whose brand) one is in a light T bucket the other in a heavy 30 Model A with a even heavier 468 CI Olds engine. Both work fine.

The only issue we did have was that one night I was test driving my sons T bucket and heard a loud crack, and had no steering ! Luckily, the car went to the right and off the road.

Turned out the Speedway steering arm had cracked in half, and I immediately called Speedway. They wanted it back and they immediately pulled that arm and never sold it again, but now sell a FORGED steering arm that has worked for about 7 years.

Latest posts

Back