First Problem with the imp!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inked Monkey

Tarzan's tatted best friend
After driving it for 250 miles this weekend, I got in it today and barely had any brakes!:eek: It's always fun trying to stop big sleds with no brakes. :D Luckily I could just pump it and they would come back briefly. I had already changed the front brake lines a while back because they pretty much broke in half. It looks like I need to change that rear one now.

Oh, but on a good note, I did lower the rearend about an inch yesterday. It looks a lot better. I think I'll go ahead and take the other spacers out when I'm doing the brake line. Should lower it about another inch!:cool:

Monkey man,
There are a few thing you need to look at before you try to drive any further. First of all, You might want to run a few checks while sittin in the driveway.
1. Pump up the brakes 2 to 3 times and hold it, Does it go down and how far..
If it goes down, there are only 2 things that cause it, air in the lines or a leak.

2. If it goes down and you can't see an obvious leak, try bleeding the brakes again. After that, run test one again...

3. When you decide to replace that rubber line on the rear, plan ahead and either replace the wheel cylenders or at least rebuild them. Any automotive parts store should carry the kit. to rebuild them.

Inked,If its nothin obvious,Pull all the wheels and chk all the brake parts.Also that line thats in the back,Make sure its not to close to any exhaust.As it will also collapse it internally.

Well it turns out it's the master cylinder. I'm not leaking brake fluid anywhere and the pedal slowly goes to the floor. And it's only $19, so I'm gonna change it out tomorrow (and lower it some more of course).:D

Easier!

Well it turns out it's the master cylinder. I'm not leaking brake fluid anywhere and the pedal slowly goes to the floor. And it's only $19, so I'm gonna change it out tomorrow (and lower it some more of course).:D

Inked,
Hey, I'd rather do that than wheel cylinders!

BoB

Glad you figured out what it was...But it would still be a good idea to do those wheel cylenders and rubber brake line. It isn't fun for one to go out riding down the road.....

Take pics and show us what progress you make...

Well that was easy and way worth it. I had already checked the wheel cylinders a couple of months ago, that is when I saw the cracking in the brake lines. So those are good. I just changed out the master cylinder and rear brake hose, then bleed the system really well at all four wheels. She stops on a dime now, Well at least as good as she can with manual drums!!!!:D :D

Cool man.
Now get to work on that body....
Wash yer hands first...LOL...LOL...

Now you can drive safely without worrying about brake problems...

Well I decided to clean out the trunk of the imp. It still had a bunch of stuff from the previous owner. Now I need to lower the rear again. I took out two spares (I left one), 3 carbs, 6 alternators, stock air cleaner, 3 pulleys, stock fan shroud, a couple of brackets and a bunch of small stuff. When I got the car, there was a lot more stuff, but he wanted it. There was a turbo 350 trans, intake and two sets of 350 heads.:eek: :eek:

You really can fit about 8 people in this trunk!:D

Latest posts

Back