Monza 262

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

23crate

ok, at the risk of being thrown into the fires of Hades for mentioning such a 'limp wristed" motor....

110 hp standing 1/4 in around 3 days.. i am almost considering one that has come up for sale ... because its cheap, cheap to run, with some diesel laid on the road might be inclined to skid a tire under duress...

4 bbl and headers may get 122hp .. this would be going in my super light 23 Dodge rpu, attached to a manual trans with a 3.5 ford rear..

has there been any attempt to speed these little motors up ? and is it possible?

im actually curious - something different ...

thanks !
Alex - that crazy 23crate guy

A swapped in 350 usually cured all the 262's low power problems.[ddd

They were smog motors geared for fuel mileage. Tiny cylinders the best I remember, even smaller than a 305. Nowhere near as peppy as an original 265. Never saw anyone build one, they always got replaced, even with just a 305.

In my humble opinion you only need 100-200 horsepower in a light car to cruise around town.:)
But there's nothing wrong with having a thousand ponies either.[cl

Like Bob says, you only need 100 hp to drive a light vehicle around nicely. My '36 Ford had a stock flattie V-8 with about 100 hp and it was quite decent. It's maybe very difficult in your neighbourhood to come up with a 350 Chev, or ------ something CHRYSLERish.

If you can get 150HP out of a 239 Flathead with heads, intake, cam, headers, etc., there's no reason you cant make 200HP from this small block Chevy, despite its small size.
Low compression and little valves are limiting factors of course, but a conservative dual plane hi rise, 450CFM carb, headers and a cam that's spec'd to this combo can do wonders.
Here's a funny one - a friend of mine put a 262 in his 39 Dodge after blowing the 350 temporarily, 'till he rebuilt the 350 - the kicker is he also put the 671 blower on it that was on the 350! It was underdriven 40% of course, but he drove it around for 2 yrs before swapping it back out - yes it was burning oil by then but still a testament to what the SB can take. He said it actually performed quite well, considering what it was......

thanks all .. !!

i hear the 350 cure all 262 problems, lol !! and a 318 /340 with a comparitive paddock full of horsepower would be the ducks nuts, 318s a reasonably plentiful and sped up hp wise is nt too tricky with more info available,,

if im encouraged by lots of HP , then i may get to forget what my drivers license looks like for a few months.. and to be fair the Lark's 259 through 3.73 rear is quick down low . - id need to get close to that or id be bummed out.. 283's used to be the goto. now late model 350's ..

v8s downunder dont exactly fall from trees,

for some inane reason a 262 is quite appealing...

As mentioned, it's no worse than a "sucky baby" flathead Ford. (Sorry, Mac. You pick on my Chevys, I pick your Fords. :p)

Most smoggers have "retarded" ignition curves and your 262 is no exception... vacuum advance comes slow and late, so does the mechanical. As a matter of fact, specs for the 262 say maximum mechanical advance doesn't occur until 4000 RPM... that's 400 RPM past peak horsepower. [S

The easiest way to make a slug more sluggish, is to pull back the timing. So, your slug is slugging along, wheezing, begging and crying for some advance, but it comes too little too late. What's my point? If you give it advance when it really needs it, it will respond with a quicker, stronger rise to maximum HP.

As mentioned, it's no worse than a "sucky baby" flathead Ford. (Sorry, Mac. You pick on my Chevys, I pick your Fords. :p)

Most smoggers have "retarded" ignition curves and your 262 is no exception... vacuum advance comes slow and late, so does the mechanical. As a matter of fact, specs for the 262 say maximum mechanical advance doesn't occur until 4000 RPM... that's 400 RPM past peak horsepower. [S

The easiest way to make a slug more sluggish, is to pull back the timing. So, your slug is slugging along, wheezing, begging and crying for some advance, but it comes too little too late. What's my point? If you give it advance when it really needs it, it will respond with a quicker, stronger rise to maximum HP.

I'm glad all you guys know stuff about Chevrolet engines, because I can no longer afford to avoid them. Plus, they are sooooooooo easy.

.[/QUOTE]

Dr C am i correct in thinking a comparatively fiercer cam would be the ticket ?

in my head this motor could and should be alot more exciting than 110 hp ! Bob's link on you tube clearly showed that - but with the 90's version..
thanks !

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck :D
Or is it :confused:
Outwardly, a 262 SB Chevy looks the same as a 400 or any other size SB, so unless you spill the beans or get caught up in a drag race, no one will be the wiser as to its displacement. (Except that it will make fewer stops at the gas station :rolleyes:)
Of course, we'll never tell .... [ddd:D

Standard hop up techniques. 4 bbl carb and intake manifold. Long tube headers. Do a Doc recurve on the distributor. Going inside, add a torque cam, more compression. With the small bore you can't use big valve heads. Maybe a small chamber 283 power pack head cuz you don't need big ports for 262 cu. in. Too much cam will kill low end torque which that small inch engine needs.

Frankly, I wouldn't do much to it because you won't get much bang for the buck. Dress it up. Wait for a 350 or 400. Unless you are like me and want to satisfy your curiosity.

I've been doing research for hopping up a sbc 307. One of the common upgrades is to swap to 305 HO heads. This would help a 262 even more as they have TINY exhaust valves. The combustion chamber on 305 heads is 58cc which will help compression.

A friend had one in a Monza with a 4-speed & he slammed in a hot cam & it perked it right up!

BoB

Do you remember how big of a cam he used? Was it big in general or just big for a 262?

I keep seeing people say it is really easy to over cam a little engine.

Do you remember how big of a cam he used? Was it big in general or just big for a 262?

I keep seeing people say it is really easy to over cam a little engine.

I've been doing research on cam size for a 283. Same idea, took big of a cam or valves and the thing is lazy. This is the cam I'm going to go with, it was highly recommended by several guys that have used it in a small cube SBC. Hopefully the specs can be a good guide for you. Should give decent sound but also perk it up without being too much cam.

https://www.compcams.com/nostalgia-plus-211-218-hydraulic-flat-cam-for-chevrolet-small-block.html

Latest posts

Back