spring weight loss

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motomech

Mr. Willys
these are the rear leaf springs from my 55 willys.. this truck was a 4x4 3/4 ton

its now 2wd now the stock springs had 11 leafs 1/4 inch thick each
i figured(after haveing about 500 pounds of people jumping on the rear of the truck) they were a bit too strong since they really diddnt move any.
so here are some pictures of the springs before and after i took out 5 leafs
the springs are much softer and will privide a good ride
i took out every other leaf i need to get new alignment pins

Attachments

• z (Medium).jpg
    z (Medium).jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 12
  • za (Medium).jpg
    za (Medium).jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 15
  • zb (Medium).jpg
    zb (Medium).jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 14
  • zc (Medium).jpg
    zc (Medium).jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 19
and i thought this was going to be an ad for diet pills, oh well, i guess i should be happy you got some work done on your truck......

Moto,I see where you are going,But I think you may have to get a new spring pak.I saw the set of leaves that you started with."Wow what a rack".Get all the weight that you are planning to have in the truck as far as power plant and trans then go after that suspension.

Moto,I see where you are going,But I think you may have to get a new spring pak.I saw the set of leaves that you started with."Wow what a rack".Get all the weight that you are planning to have in the truck as far as power plant and trans then go after that suspension.

Why would i need a new spring pack? there is nothing wrong with this one.
it has 6 leaves now im going spring under axle and with both springs on the floor my father and i got on the back and bounced as hard as we could and it moved about 4-5 inches up and down(we both are about 600 pounds combined) and it will just have a bed and a 20 gallon fuel tank in the back

but if all else fails i can add or take out leaves to get it right:)

Your last comment may be right, but keep in mind what kind of power you may be sending through those leaf springs. The leaf springs were designed to flex a certain way, If you over power them with too much motor, it is very possible you could expierence "Wheel hop" very similar to what you would see on all the big horse dragsters...

Just food for thought...and not to imply that you haven't already done what I'm suggesting...

Keep us updated.

yeah i understand the whole wheel hop thing but at the most im gonna be running a mostly stock 327 sbc with a t400 i think ill be good.......but you never know till you put the pedal to the metal:cool:

Latest posts

Back