Tools Needed for a Beginner

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NAPA

NAPA tools usta be good but the new crap they are pushing is horrible stuff, l found better stuff a H=F:eek:

the counter person at NAPA told me they see more of these junk tools being returned than he ever did of the quality tools of yesteryear.

also you will find that home made tools for some jobs are necessary in the building of things AND the buy it and use it once or twice thing because nothing else will do the task your'e trying to accomplish.

Later:cool:

^^^ I know the counter girl at our local NAPA and she was complaining that everything is starting to come from China, including the tools, and they were now junk.

Don

I am a geezer, 72. I was taught by my Dad to never loan your tools. They mysterious never are seen again. My Dad only let me use his tools at home. Never at my house. I taught this to my son and am teaching to my grandsons the same.

As many of you some are custom made, as a "pickle fork" ball joint remover. A friend machinist made two of them. One for him and me.

Some may think as stingy but I still have all the tool set I received at 14 as a Christmas gift. OOP`s my son now has 99% of my tools. I`m disabled and not able to use.

As I grew up friends needed to borrow tools. I said no! But I took needed tools to their house and helped fix their problem.

That's sad, my friend. I vividly remember how my dad was when he couldn't tighten a lug nut or do a brake job. I was 5 years old when I did my first brake job. My dad spent 3 days trying to teach my mom how to do it. Me? I did it without even thinking about it. Though, you're not dying of cancer (if you are, my condolences), like my father was.

I'll pick a choose my tools, I usually look up reviews.

I was looking at something like this;

http://www.craftsman.com/dap/mechanic-tool-set-finder.html?adcell=Cm_gNav_Hand

I'm not going to go out and buy it immediately, just grab the basics for now but build up to a large set like this. I may have to buy doubles, keep my brother out of mine :p

Surprised no one has mentioned the number one and two things that have to be on the list:

Cash and some kind of credit/debit card!:D
Cash in person, credit/debit for online/mail order![cl

There are certain pieces of equipment where a high quality brand is a great investment........for example, welders. We happen to like Miller blue, and have a 210 mig, a 200 sychrowave tig, and a 220 mig. The 210 has laid down literally miles and miles of welds for about 10 years or more, and has never had one thing done to it. Even a novice welder can get reasonable welds out of a good welder, but may struggle with a cheap one.

It is a fact that, every piece of equipment you buy you will wonder how you ever got along without it. Tools just make jobs so much easier.

Don

Latest posts

Back