So do you drink while you wrench?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikec4193

Hi everyone

I was thinking about this stupid stuff again...I hear it on here and other places too...and see in a lot of the posts empty cans of beer. You guys talking about having a few beers with your buddys as you build it and another one "sit and ponder with a cold one". I drank for 27 years and I have the scars to prove it too...I dont touch the stuff now...But do you guys as a rat rod culture drink in your garages as you build these rusty pieces of steel???
I do recall everything looked better with a 4 to 6 beer buzz going on in my head...

Just wondering out loud thats all.

MikeC

I don't, not opposed to it and used to do it alot, but just don't drink much anymore..
Me and a buddy shortened the frame on a longbed 73-87 chevy pickup one day and changed it to a stepside..Hot summer day and we started drinking early, by the time we finished that evening, we were just smashed..way to drunk to even take it for a testdrive..:D:D

I should add that was 20+ years ago and I wouldn't do it again..

Last edited:
I don't often drink beer, but when I do it is rootbeer.
interesitingMan.jpg

I have never drank, not apposed to others doing it just not for me. I think it should be left out of the garage while dealing with important aspects of the build, like frame, and suspension fabrication and welding. I would want to be there 100% for safety sake. I have also seen some beer induced fab. On some frames and they always say, it looked great when we were doing it, o maybe it was the beer talking. Just not something I would want to worry about. That is just my opinion though

I do drink beer and if I'm working on a safety or critical area the minute I open the first one the work stops, no exceptions.
Seen too many mistakes that were made due to drinking.

Jim

The only thing I drink in the garage is mass amounts of Mountain Dew :) I quit drinking about 14 yrs ago when it almost killed me and put me in the hospital for 2 wks in a coma

I have had a couple here and there in the past while working on something, but usually it's remedial tasks and not something that could have any safety concerns associated with it, or I will have one while cleaning up. It's a pretty rare day that I have more then 2-3 anyways, and on the days I do have more, it's usually out with friends or at a function of some sort not sitting in the garage by myself. In the offroad world I saw way to many beer induced builds on the trail that make me shutter to think someone would even build it let alone drive it.

My Son Don likes to have a few when he comes to the shop and he has a high tolerance because he plays in a band 4-5 nights a week and gets in a lot of drinking practice.:) My other Son Dan and I, on the other hand, don't really drink often so one beer is about our limit and we usually have that one at the end of the work session, sometimes when we fire up the grille and kick back to relax. Otherwise, our drink of choice is bottled water.

I get buzzed pretty cheaply so I like to be as clear headed as possible when using tools that spin at high speeds and ones that can catch you on fire.:eek::D

Don

I have a general rule in my garage - no drinking with power tools. I occasionally will have 1 if I'm doing simple stuff, but I find 1 or 2 just makes me sleepy. I'd rather knock out what I'm doing, then go out to a bar and meet up with friends.

I also feel there's something a little depressing about drinking alone, so that's part of it too.

Mmmmm Beer

The only time I drink beer in my garage is when I'm cleaning it, never when I'm working on projects

Andrew

I used to but at my age... beer, wine etc are more like sleeping aids & I prefer to be awake while working on my car! :eek::eek::eek:

BoB

No, I realy have not drank that much in 15 year (6 pack a year at BBQ only)

BTW, I know thats a beer can floating around my shop and has been in a few pics but to put a age on the can it is a pull tab.

Latest posts

Back