Big Block Bantam

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice looking seats, they should throw a ringer at the tech crew.:D:D

Do hope they get a race space for you, would be nice to shake it down.[cl

Tom, I'm slowly putting the dragster together in the driveway as I've run out of garage space. Weather has been real nice but my body is a wreck, especially my hips. Getting shots in both hips in a week and a half. Until then I can't do much.

It's drying out around here so I should be able to get the parts you want pretty soon.

Rethinking the Bantam as Dave, the driver came over Saturday for a "fitting". He hardly fit. So I'm considering cutting out the back part of the roll cage so the seat can be moved back and the seat back can be reclined somewhat. I'll have to widen the frame to hip shoulder room. The main hoop verticals will have "S" curves in them to add some shoulder room. I really want to make the Bantam street friendly and not impossible to drive.

Attachments

• digger ressy 001.jpg
    digger ressy 001.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 32
  • digger ressy 002.jpg
    digger ressy 002.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 26
Ya bob I am with you on the bantam being a street machine first and a drag race coupe a few times a year. When you have a tight driver area it's Ok for a 10.00 second ride at the strip but get real old fast when you want to cruse it in town.

As I said before, no rush on the head. I have rods and new hyper pistons at the machine shop to press pins and check rod big end. When I get them back I will complete bottom end and the short block will be ready to modify the head for 7/16" studs and BBC roller rockers. After head is ready the last thing will be to order some hardened push rods. It's a fun build, learning a lot about the 240/300 inline 6.

Take care of your self and let me know how you are after the shots.

Weather has been real nice but my body is a wreck, especially my hips. Getting shots in both hips in a week and a half. Until then I can't do much.

Tell me about it! My hips, knees and ankles are a mess and a constant problem. I feel your pain. It's hell getting old! :eek:

iSore

Back on this project, finally. After trying every which way to get enough interior room to sit comfortably and failing, I cut most of the roll cage out of it. The new cage will not have the hoop at the "B" pillar. The hoop that can be seen (in other photos) through the quarter window has been removed and its replacement will be wider and higher. With more shoulder room and head room the seats can be a little higher, creating leg room.

I hope it works because it is a lot of work. Picked up the tubing for the revisions yesterday.

Attachments

• Slant In 002.jpg
    Slant In 002.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 60
Bob, Redoing a cage is a pain in the Axx but you got to have room in there to be able to drive & race it. If you can't do that you might as well park it in the shop. I know you will get it right. [cl[S[P[;)

Yes, OI it was a tough decision to cut most of the cage out. Today I bent up the new hoop for behind the seats. It was a good test for my repaired shoulder. No problems except it ain't real strong. The primered structures in the second pic show how much wider the new hoop is. The original hoop was welded to the frame members and the new hoop will weld to the outboard part of the structures, over the wheel wells. It's now 42" wide which will provide good shoulder room. The hoop will be tight to the roof creating more head room so the seat bottoms can be raised making them more chair-like. that should add more leg room.

Attachments

• Hoop 164.jpg
    Hoop 164.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Hoop 165.jpg
    Hoop 165.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 63
Yes, the Bantam is not for big guys. The main hoop is tacked in place. The tubes that run from the "A" pillar hoop to the main hoop are properly spliced in and tacked. The two pieces have to be sleeved on the inside and have rosette welds as well as being butt welded. The rear down tubes are cut to size and set in place, ready to tack weld. Next will be some more floor bracing which will also provide for seat mounting and seat belt mounting. Lots of [;)[;). I'm not good at welding tubing especially overhead.

Attachments

• Cage 002.jpg
    Cage 002.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 56
  • Cage 003.jpg
    Cage 003.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 55
Looking good. Those overhead positional welds are always a bitch! I always wear ear plugs for the overhead work, there's nothing more sickening then the sound of a grape sizzling in your ear!

Looks real clean, Track tec should have no problem with the modification, all by the NHRA rule book.[cl[;)

I got to say one thing about the new cage, I would have a better chance getting into the Bantam than the dragster. Don't get me wrong, I know I could drop down into that fine dragster cage, but you would for sure have to cut me out. The old body ain't what it used to be.:eek:

Have Dave take a picture of you seated in the bantam when you get it a welded and the seats remounted & modified.[P

A friend was at the drag strip near Atlanta this summer and there was an old guy running a nostalgia dragster. In order to get out of it two younger people grabbed his arms and raised him to a standing position. The set a two step ladder in place so he could get out of it. Sure enough I put a low stool along side the dragster and I can get in and out of it much easier.
Decided the Bantam needed a little more sub floor bracing (unpainted). Next is rebuilding the wheel wells, then the seats.

Attachments

• misc 002.jpg
    misc 002.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 51

Latest posts

Back