Home Built 3 pt Auger

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smallfoot

He's rockin' the "Nuttin Special"!
Hey guys. Don't know how much interest this'll get but I thought I'd post my progress, just in case it works...heheh!
Getting ready to run some fence at my bud's place down the road. Wanted to get a 3 pt auger for the job but after viewing the rigs available and the prices they garner, well...the fabricatin, steel beatin, metal bending yeahoo aka metalurgical maniac came to the forefront and I just couldn't get around the idea that I probably have all the parts and pieces to assemble a working auger, minus the bit. I could probably hammer one of those out too, But I've decided to buy a ready made at the farm store. Think I got enough to do. I took nearly all day to separate the old machine I had. Anyway, on with some pix.
Bottom side of old bush hog:

Whacked the nut off the shaft with the heat wrench and with a little help from a couple of inclined planes and a lever, the old blade carrier separated.
Torched the bolts for the gear box too as only one gave up the ghost.

A little budge from the loader with a chain and off goes it's head...

Side Winder. Pretty stout gear box...still free turns...I think it'll turn an auger...:D
I already have a boom attachment, and figure with some fabricating I can hang the gear box from the boom after figuring throw on the implement, Then it will be making the drive shaft from a straight pipe. I have the ends for several old tractor drive shafts around so that won't be a problem and my buddy is picking up an Auger today....I keep ya'll posted on the deal.

Mower? What mower? visualize AUGER...:D

Yeah, it is an old one. I'm researching the innertube right now to see if anything shows up for it. That piece of equipment was given to me by my next door neighbor when he moved off. He sold his land to the state and left. He told me I could have anything he left behind before he sold out and told me where to find stuff all over the ranch. I've been using the steel from stuff like this for years that came from him. It was 26 years ago he gave it to me and I believe it was in much the same shape then as now...beat...but I couldn't pass up that huge gear box....with something like that and a tractor to run it, it opens up lots of possibilities.

Agreed! My dad is a farmer, so repurposing things is not new to me hahahaha. Keep it up!

Seems to be alot of them around...looks like an FMC unit. One of my other mowers is by them so I can attest to their strength...I'm still beating it to death out here in the woods. I'd still like to know the age on this one. It's ancient looking compared to the other 3 bush hog gear boxes on site here. I'm sure it'll handle an auger!

Cool good work, I have a good one I use and another one around that was made from and old car rear end with a hand made auger, never used it myself.

no pix today but got the gearbox hung from the boom with an adjustable bracket where I can change things later. cleaned to gearbox up. Got the old driveshaft loose. Found after getting one of the augers from the farm store that the rotation will be backwards so that got returned. I'll make my own. Pix later...off after some parts...

Latest posts

Back