How to title

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zhillz

I've been doing some research and have recently decided to take a plunge and start a build. It seems like EVERYTHING I find has no title. I'm in FL I don't know how much that matters. Does the frame need a title, or the body? How do people title custom frames? How do they title total radical customs? Thanks for the help.

i dont know the laws in FL but here in washington, it has to be running then you go get it inspected by the state patrol, a custom frame they will inspect the welds and the frame will get a vin number along with the body.

i built a custom frame for my t bucket,an was told on that forum that if i built my own frame,then all i hav to do was go to the dmv an get a mso form an come up with a 17 digit number

Florida title

HI
You need to go to the DMV and get the forms and document all the sources for what you used in the build. Where did the motor come from where did the body come from and metal for the frame, ect. They are more interested in collection the TAXES. If you did not pay taxes for any of it they will charge you the taxes for it. They will want to see it too and then you can apply for a title. Before you can get a tag you will need to show insurance on the car.

Have fun
Tom

These are the steps for custom frames, how about people who just don't have titles anymore? Could I technically pretty up a frame and say its custom ? lol.

I live in Florida, and compared to some States it is easy, and compared to some it is hard. It is also getting harder, especially if you are using an out of State title.

One way is to get a title from a similar car and use it to turn your car into "that" car. People sometimes say this is illegal, but the facts are, I bet a good percentage of the hot rods you see at any given show are done this way. We aren't car thieves, just car builders trying to get something we saved back on the road.

The other way is to it as a Kit Car, or Assembled From Parts. There are some limitations on usage for these types of cars though, something like you can only use them for club functions, shows, maintenance, etc........not daily driving. That sucks. I want to be able to use my rods as a car, drive it daily if I wish. Read the SEMA site lilgoneman posted, it will spell out the different methods for you.

Don

listen to DonsRods

you can get title and vin plates from swap meets or other members on this forum. I'm not saying it the right way, but sometimes it's the only way. Just look for ur year in the state of florida.

You said does the title need to be with the frame or body. It depends on the vehicle, Early Fords the only numbers are on the frame. But you can find titles that use the frame number and other will use the engine numbers. My 36 ford pickup they used the engine number so it will be a little more work to get the title done but in Pa it not a big issue.

One other thing. If you plan on buying a vehicle with out a title. Get the numbers off the car and get them checked. The local police can do that for you. But if it comes up stolen plan on giving all the info on the vehicle.

once you buy it it your problem. The only way it is not your issue is if you pay market value and you buy it with the understand it is not stolen. market value is the key word

Usually if the person selling the vehicle know you are doing that and it stolen. They will back away.

Latest posts

Back