Found the knock

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sneakysnake

"There’s nothing new in originality"
A guy had given me a 283 short block and my son had pulled a 305 with a knock from a camaro he had bought and has been in the way for sometime.So I plan to mate the two and this is from the 305 bottom end.
http://youtu.be/KPoWQsTO_ig

must have been knocking for a few miles . Does the 283 have the soft valve seats ? or is that just the 327 ? I was told one of them had it and you needed to get them replaced or they wouldnt last . because of our unleaded gas we have now ..I dont know

must have been knocking for a few miles . Does the 283 have the soft valve seats ? or is that just the 327 ? I was told one of them had it and you needed to get them replaced or they wouldnt last . because of our unleaded gas we have now ..I dont know

Both........all pre 75 engines had softer valve seats, lead in the fuel used to be used back then to lubricate them.

casting#14102187.

Those are centerbolt heads, but not vortec, they are actually TBI. Lots of people see the valve covers and make that mistake. But that's a pretty good combo, I also like using the 305 heads on 307 lower end, makes a pretty decent little motor.

Those are centerbolt heads, but not vortec, they are actually TBI. Lots of people see the valve covers and make that mistake. But that's a pretty good combo, I also like using the 305 heads on 307 lower end, makes a pretty decent little motor.

Thanks, not trying to build a hot motor as much as for the price of a gasket kit have a complete engine and a little more room in my shop.lol

I had a set of bigger valves put in a set of the small combustion chamber 305 heads and ran them on a 327 stock bottom end. With the cam I had in (spare parts) it, it had zero bottom end but would fly once in the rpms a little. I used it as a trailer motor for years. Cheap horse power for sure.

i put a set of 305 ho heads on a 307 for a friend. i talked him into letting me port and port match the heads. we added a 270º duration cam and the other usual add on's. it was a sponky little motor. sneaky i would at least try to port match. that way he could add add on' later. even better teach him how to do it.

Latest posts

Back