Bonneville, anybody run it?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Got Rust?

Hey all, I got a wild hair and have been thinking (always dangerous) about going to Bonneville, and shopping for a car to run, or put'n my own car together with sights on 2014. Looking for info from those who have had this "problem" before, and how they got over it.

i will be on the salt again this year, i am getting ready to start on a car to run in the future. might even have access to a car to get my speed license this year. so we will see

i am taking my truck and trailer out, i am picking up 6 bodies/ cars. a friend of mine said his buddy is taking a spare car if any of friends wanna run it. so i hope to get on the list to run the car.

the best place to start is a rule book, find a record you wanna attempt ( and can afford) and go from there. make sure you read the rule book a few times. i am going to be doing a ton a research on chassis and suspension set ups this year during tech

Agree rule book would be a good start. No use building a car that you can only drive one minute per year, one time per year, only to have the staff say no.
Also figured a certified chassis would be easier to find at, or after the season.

Sure there isn't a pill, or medication a guy can take to get this insanity to go away, cuz it's sounding like a sane idea right now.

I talked about going and then taking a car the next year. I would be happy just saying I ran on the salt let alone trying to beat a record.

Anyone from IN going?

With Reservations ...(but not at hotel, cause there ain't any available)

Only cause the lady friend signed off on it ... IF he buys a generator to run the AC in the RV and promises to fill both propane tanks!

The Lady Friend

I joined ECTA (East Coast Timing Association, because I live on the east coast)...the same one running the Loring, Maine event where the motorcycle rider lost his life. They have a lot of similar rules and regulations as the SCTA that runs Bonneville (if your car or bike passes tech at one of these events, it should also pass at Bonneville). Check locally if there is a sanctioning body near you or holds events near your area that you can join and then go to the events. Walk around and see what's there, talk to some of the people both running the event and participating (I found everyone more then happy to talk and share some knowledge). For me it really kindled the flames of wanting to do some kind of speed run. I will do it sometime in the not so distant future, but will probably start out at one of ECTA's events, before thinking about the salt flats to get my feet wet

The wife and I will be there this year on the 12th and 13th although it will be without the 50 GMC as I have just plain run out of time. Hope to see a few RRR members there and on the way through.

Latest posts

Back