Broken front axles?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Got Rust?

Have a yet to be identified 20 year old aftermarket drop front axle mounted with four bar set up, and am looking to change to a split wishbone set. I have heard that some of these axles can't go both ways, too much twist and they will break. Anybody know what the problem is, and where it is (axle or wishbones) Thank you.

Don't worry about it. I am running an axle on my 27 that was dropped sometime in the 50's and it has been on my car for 25 years and a billion miles. The percentage of axles that fail is like .0000000001 percent of all of those running around on hot rods.

Don

I think he is talking about four bar vs wishbone . It used to be said a round axle needed a four bar . Original style ( I-beam ) can use all 3 -four bar hair pin and wishbone . Speedway used to say that in the catalog , but now they are selling round axle front end kits both ways .

Thanx, you guy's are quick. The axle I'm talking about is from a company called Magnum and they have had some problems. Yes I do want to swap out the 4-bar system for a nice pair of wishbones, once I can find some. Just want to make sure the axle is safe before I start. and if there is anything to consider it the 4-bar to wishbone swap.

Don't worry about it. I am running an axle on my 27 that was dropped sometime in the 50's and it has been on my car for 25 years and a billion miles. The percentage of axles that fail is like .0000000001 percent of all of those running around on hot rods.

Don
Like Don says these axles are pretty tough and Henry designed them to be kept in line with a wishbone and I don't think the axle knows whether the wishbone is in it's stock shape or split . Now when you attach the spring to the wishbone all bets are off . They were not designed to support the entire weight of the front of the vehicle plus the added weight of a V8 . They are designed to keep the axle in line . I know a lot of guys do this , some with extra bracing ( as Don has done ) and some by just running a bolt thru the wishbone . Don't know what this does to the geometry of the front end .Also not all old wishbones are equal .

Now when you attach the spring to the wishbone all bets are off . They were not designed to support the entire weight of the front of the vehicle plus the added weight of a V8 . They are designed to keep the axle in line . .

After about 1935, all the springs were attached to the front of the wishbones, when they went with the spring in front of the axle.

Thanx guy's, contacted Magnum they said they only had a problem with a shipment of axles in about 2009, mine pre dates that so I will pretend I'm safe.

Latest posts

Back