Aaaargh!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr Crankenstein

Rocket Surgeon
I've worked too many car shows, so I won't go out of my way to see one. However, I was planning to drive 3 hours for this event...

http://www.draggins.com/home/

Celebrating our 60th Anniversary!

Our special guest will be Gene Winfield, known as the "King of Customs"​

Cancelled due to virus protocol. Chance are slim and none I'll get anywhere close to Gene Winfield again. Car show be damned, I wanted to meet the legend. :( :( :(

AAAARGH!​

Last edited:
I'd like to meet him too, if nothing else just to be able to say I did.
Had a chance to meet Ian Roussel at the Tulsa Starbirds show and didn't get to go there either. A couple friends got to meet him.

Met him several times but the last time was the best. He does a chop at Houston Autorama during the 4 day show & I was near his booth just sitting away from my car when he comes up & sits next to me & starts taking... needless to say I was shocked! He even signed a Firing Order Magazine which I still have of course! To see him chop a top is a real experience. He would need a fill-in panel for the roof & go over & look at it, cut a piece of metal & start shaping it with the wheel, look at it on the car & if it needed more work he'll do it again & it would be a prefect fit! That my friends was *years* of experience & truly amazing to watch!

BoB

One of the last of his kind.
I've met him a few times over the years at shows. (Mostly the Detroit Autorama).
Always pleasant to talk to and a world of knowledge. I have wanted to take one of his classes for years but you know how it goes.:(
Last time I saw him I was building the truck and showed him some pics of it on my phone. He looked at it, gave me the thumbs up and asked me the name of my shop.:eek: :D Big thrill for me....:cool:
Check out some tours of his shop on youtube Doc.
Not the same as meeting him but it gives you an idea of his influence on the car world.
Torchie

He did a top chop at Back to the Fifties a few years ago. I didn't even go over there. Kicking myself now.

He has moved his shop to the desert near Gene's shop. I have seen Gene in a few episodes of Ian's shop, Full Custom Garage.

gene and ian

hey don't feel to bad. i live about 40 miles from them and have never met them. i shouldn't say that. i have met gene a few times in the past. once at walmart and once at a drag race but i was in my car and couldn't really talk to him.

To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. (I've been fortunate to meet a few of my "idols" but always at some far away event.)

Tripper and Torchie, you guys are making me jealous! Gene astounds me. 92 years old, travelling the globe, chopping, welding, smiling, shaking hands and talking to the likes of you two. :eek: :eek:

Latest posts

Back