To Replace or Not to Replace

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redidbull

This tank is from my 89 F150. I am pretty sure I had a bad pump so I decided to drop the tank and replace it. I don't know a lot of history on this and it may have sat for a while. My question should I replace this tank? It is not leaking and I will clean it well if it is decided to keep it. Thanks. Jim

Attachments

• Tank.jpg
    Tank.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 32
If the inside looks clean and the exterior rust is just surface and no pitting I would just clean it inside and out, then paint the outside.

If you're confident it's solid and won't leak, have it steam cleaned (internally) and put it back together.

After the cleaning, I would fill it with water and double check for leaks. If it's good, carry on and throw a bottle of methyl hydrate (gas line antifreeze) in it to absorb any residual water...

There is not a steam cleaner near me. Would a pressure do the job with fuel system cleaner cleaner solution? Thanks. Jim

There is not a steam cleaner near me. Would a pressure do the job with fuel system cleaner cleaner solution? Thanks. Jim
When I had a pressure washer business, I cleaned a few fuel tanks successfully. At up to 2000 psi, they will find any rust holes most of the time, too. Good luck!

Unfortunately it looks like I am going to have to get a new one. The pump is so rusted in and some of the rust on the top looks worse than I thought. Thanks for the help. Jim

Attachments

• Tank1.jpg
    Tank1.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 18
  • pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 16

Latest posts

Back