28 Fast Four build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the last of the items on my list done, it was really bothering me every time I went for a drive and I didn't have a fire extinguisher in the car, not sure why that is cuz I don't have one in any other personal vehicles [S

- When your boat catches fire, you wanna put it out.
- When your hot rod catches fire, you wanna put it out.
- When your late model driver catches fire, you wanna give it plenty of air and sprinkle gasoline on it.

- When your late model driver catches fire, you wanna give it plenty of air and sprinkle gasoline on it.

You know how much it hurts to blow Bud Light out your nose you crack me up Doc. Too funny

Well another two and a half hour safety, passed everything except my new Wheel Vintique Gennie wheels don't fit tight on the center hub of my rotors or axles. :mad::mad: Now I have to find some hub centrics to fit and take it back to the city to get the sticker and paper work. I guess really it's good news. [cl[cl

as we said before; you built a nice car [cl Most inspectors like a thing or 2 to whine about, so you might just as well give them something easy to fix :)

Really can't argue with that...

Got the last of the items on my list done, it was really bothering me every time I went for a drive and I didn't have a fire extinguisher in the car, not sure why that is cuz I don't have one in any other personal vehicles [S Got the boot sewn up for the park brake. Not sure what you guys are doing for a tool kit in your cars but these Allied 31 pc kits are real complete and compact.

For tool kits, I used to pack a pretty good premade tool kit like but always found that the thing I needed was never in it. I pack tools in a slim plastic bin with rags so they don't rattle. Going forward, I'm going to get all the extra tools to pack a dedicated "Hot Rod" tool kit, so that I don't have to pack the tools out of my box before a road trip or drive and can just throw it in whichever vehicle I choose to take. Those tools don't always make it back in the toolbox for some reason.

as we said before; you built a nice car [cl Most inspectors like a thing or 2 to whine about, so you might just as well give them something easy to fix :)

Thanks Dutch, you are correct there just has to be something.

Could you get away with an adapter collar between the wheel and the hub?[S[P

Really can't argue with that...

For tool kits, I used to pack a pretty good premade tool kit like but always found that the thing I needed was never in it. I pack tools in a slim plastic bin with rags so they don't rattle. Going forward, I'm going to get all the extra tools to pack a dedicated "Hot Rod" tool kit, so that I don't have to pack the tools out of my box before a road trip or drive and can just throw it in whichever vehicle I choose to take. Those tools don't always make it back in the toolbox for some reason.

I looked into Hub centric rings and during my search for them I found info on the wheels I bought. They are manufactured as Lug Centric the center of the wheel is considerably thicker than a regular steel wheel and the mounting surface is press shape for added strength then the lug holes are machined with a taper to center on the tapered lugs.

I hear ya on the tool kit 05snopro, there is not a lot a guy can fix on the side of the road, but if I had no tools with me I would feel kinda naked and if I couldn't tighten a hose clamp I would be pretty ticked off.

Hub centric vs lug centric - I wondered the same when you said that the inspector didn't allow that. My Detroit Steel wheels are manufactured as lug centric as well. I'll be curious to see how you make out. Good luck Glen.

Like Bill, I also wondered why 'lug centric' wouldn't work. I've been mounting Dayton wheels on big trucks for nearly fifty years, and I had to learn how to make the wheels fit on there straight, with the lugs.
Lug nuts and the mating bolt holes in car wheels are tapered for a reason. They centre the wheel.
But Dozer, you are fighting 'Government smart' with 'Physics smart'. You're gonna' lose.

Like Bill, I also wondered why 'lug centric' wouldn't work. I've been mounting Dayton wheels on big trucks for nearly fifty years, and I had to learn how to make the wheels fit on there straight, with the lugs.
Lug nuts and the mating bolt holes in car wheels are tapered for a reason. They centre the wheel.
But Dozer, you are fighting 'Government smart' with 'Physics smart'. You're gonna' lose.

Government smart is an oxymoron. Kind of like military intelligence.

beauty work doz! nice call on a tool kit, I cant count how many roadside repairs I have attempted with the one phillips screwdriver and the butter knife from the glovebox.

I looked into Hub centric rings and during my search for them I found info on the wheels I bought. They are manufactured as Lug Centric the center of the wheel is considerably thicker than a regular steel wheel and the mounting surface is press shape for added strength then the lug holes are machined with a taper to center on the tapered lugs.

this is exactly right, go hand the inspector this info. chances are he is following the letter without reading the sentence.

[cl[cl[cl[cl

Most, if not all aluminum wheels are lug centric. Never saw one that wasn’t unless it was a factory wheel. I think you need to see a different inspector if you can....

Hub centric vs lug centric - I wondered the same when you said that the inspector didn't allow that. My Detroit Steel wheels are manufactured as lug centric as well. I'll be curious to see how you make out. Good luck Glen.

Have been doing a lot of research and pretty much all after market steel wheels are manufactured as lug centric to reduce the number of part number due to so many different hub sizes. My wheels are made by Wheel Vintiques, I have talked to there tech dept a couple times and they have been helpful. They have no literature any where in their system explaining or defending the Lug Centric design until know. The tech guy is working on writing it up and it will email it to me to take to the safety guy.
MM the guy doing my safety is an old mechanic licenced by SGI to do them. I'm sure if he has the explanationin writing he will sign off.

beauty work doz! nice call on a tool kit, I cant count how many roadside repairs I have attempted with the one phillips screwdriver and the butter knife from the glovebox.

this is exactly right, go hand the inspector this info. chances are he is following the letter without reading the sentence.

[cl[cl[cl[cl

Thanks Joe, I'm hoping

Most, if not all aluminum wheels are lug centric. Never saw one that wasn’t unless it was a factory wheel. I think you need to see a different inspector if you can....

This inspector is the Hot Rod friendly one and I'm alrerady into him for $210.

Next issue I have run into is, I stopped in to see him yesterday the day after my inspection and he was not in as he was sent home to quarantine for two weeks because he was in contact with some one with Covid. :eek::eek:

I've been mounting Dayton wheels on big trucks for nearly fifty years, and I had to learn how to make the wheels fit on there straight, with the lugs.

I've done hundreds of them... pain... in... the... a$$!!!

Next issue I have run into is, I stopped in to see him yesterday the day after my inspection and he was not in as he was sent home to quarantine for two weeks because he was in contact with some one with Covid. :eek::eek:

That should give him time to read the book, hire three interpreters and come up with six wrong answers to the wrong question. Have you ever tried to decipher SGI's documents? :eek:

Have been doing a lot of research and pretty much all after market steel wheels are manufactured as lug centric to reduce the number of part number due to so many different hub sizes. My wheels are made by Wheel Vintiques, I have talked to there tech dept a couple times and they have been helpful. They have no literature any where in their system explaining or defending the Lug Centric design until know. The tech guy is working on writing it up and it will email it to me to take to the safety guy.
MM the guy doing my safety is an old mechanic licenced by SGI to do them. I'm sure if he has the explanationin writing he will sign off.

Come to think of it, my wheels on my 46 are Wheel Vintiques, they are lug centric and after 33,000+ KM's they've been just fine. Actually, all my specialty vehicles have lug centric wheels. It just seems like he was trying to find something. Hopefully the explanation from WV does the trick.

I've done hundreds of them... pain... in... the... a$$!!!

That should give him time to read the book, hire three interpreters and come up with six wrong answers to the wrong question. Have you ever tried to decipher SGI's documents? :eek:

Doc I don't think I have enough time left on the planet to decipher them. :rolleyes:

Come to think of it, my wheels on my 46 are Wheel Vintiques, they are lug centric and after 33,000+ KM's they've been just fine. Actually, all my specialty vehicles have lug centric wheels. It just seems like he was trying to find something. Hopefully the explanation from WV does the trick.

New plan

Latest posts

Back