steering column shortning?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Got Rust?

Anybody ever shortned a GM steering column to it a tight spot? Got a GM tilt steering column that is about 7" to long am thinking a person could cut the tube and shaft then replace the lower bearings and be good, I'm sure others have tried it, suggestions? [S

column

I had the same deal with being to long so just went to the junkyard and found one out of a Chevy van and it worked perfect.:cool:

Allow, my fellow rod type guy's for me to be more specifical.
column came out of Chev van bout 1974 is aprox 35 inches long, want to cut the shaft, and tube to make it about 28" long.

We can't weld steering components here so I cut mine down double 'D'd" the end with a grinder then replace the lower bearings like you said....done deal

I shortened a steering column by cutting it, then grinding a big weld prep on the ends, then butt welding them whilst clamped into the Vee of a piece of angle iron, to stop it bending. I gradually welded round it, checking for straightness, and welding to pull it back when it did move. I ground it smooth and then slipped a close fitting sleeve of 16 gauge tube over the top, and welded that as well. Super duper strong, overkill really. :D

Don't know if this helps or not but yesterday I was stripping some parts off one of the Chevy Vans that I have out back and I noticed the '79 has a long column that goes through the floor down near the gas pedal and goes straight into the steering box while the other van (an '86) has a much shorter column that goes through the firewall and has a couple u-joints to get to the box. I measured the short one and it measures 29 inches from the bearing end to where the steering wheel mounts. So maybe a van column would work for you if it was from a newer van. Hope this helps.

I cut down and installed a joint in the middle of a 1950 Chevy column that I installed in a chopped 1946 Ford p/u cab. Very smooth action and the angle of the 1939 chevy steering wheel turned out great.

Last edited:
Liked the look of the older 70's van column, so got one shortened it as stated, and it looks like it should work fine, Thank you for the help.

Steering column

Best to get a shorter one,( junk yard) had one welded, guy ground off to much, and it came appart, good thing we were parked!!

yes it can be done as stated before me. I have used nylon or delron for the lower bushing or one I had a bearing that fit it. Just take your time. [;)

Latest posts

Back