Willys long cab

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used the SPW setup and similar kits before, sometimes they work, sometimes not so much... The biggest issues I've found are being sure to not have too small a radius on the bend(s) in the tubing, which can increase the effort need to move the cable, and putting a good flare on the tube ends to keep them from pulling out under load. Once you get the glass in I've found it necessary to reduce the tension on the wiper arm springs because that's the real test of how well they work, you won't always have a lot of water on the glass to ease their operation. My biggest beef with this and many other setups is the lousy pot metal knurled wiper adaptors, they are so fragile, its easy to strip out the tiny set screw...
Wish someone would produce a steel or even aluminum replacement for them.
You're getting real close to the finish line on this build, you must be getting excited to get it on the road [cl[cl[P[P

Made in America but certainly not perfect. Kinda crappy to cut that corner.

I am looking forward to finishing this project.
Unfortunately it's that time of the year when I have got to get my farming done. Time and money are going to be tight for a while. :confused:

Progress.....

I got the A/C-Heater installed yesterday. It's a little lower than I wanted but I wanted to keep the glove box. Got the hose fitting done, just need to pull the
2 cooling lines off and crimp them tomorrow. Maybe..

Duct work, wiring and charge the system to come. Hopefully no leaks.

Attachments

• IMG_5420.jpg
    IMG_5420.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5422.jpg
    IMG_5422.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5418.jpg
    IMG_5418.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 28
Progress.....

Hoses crimped and installed:)
Vents and duct work installed:)
The defrost vents were a challenge. It's getting crowed under there:eek:

My upholstery lady/Bride did her magic with some customization on the front Carhart seat covers I bought. I also bought some material that matches the seat covers and she made covers for the rear fold down seats and the door cards I made.

Seats and center console set in place.
I need to figure out where to put the A/C control panel and the radio [S[S

Attachments

• IMG_5427.jpg
    IMG_5427.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5429.jpg
    IMG_5429.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5434.jpg
    IMG_5434.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5423 (2).jpg
    IMG_5423 (2).jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5281.jpg
    IMG_5281.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5282.jpg
    IMG_5282.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5285.jpg
    IMG_5285.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5444.jpg
    IMG_5444.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5448.jpg
    IMG_5448.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5450.jpg
    IMG_5450.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 30
I can't say enough about your build, Pops. So. I'll just shut up, sit back and enjoy the pictures and write up.[cl

That wrapped steering wheel is killer!

Agreed! That whole interior looks great.

Hey Pops- You happen to be a navy guy? I was in the Nimitz museum in Fredericksburg, Texas a couple years ago and saw on display a big gate valve wheel (approximately 12" in diameter) wrapped in cord like that and started thinking along those same lines. Definitely has "the look". :cool:

Awesome Pops[cl.
How did your crimper work on the #10 fittings, mine look a little sketchy. The #6 and 8's were perfect.

Thanks Dozer.
I had the same thought on the #10. I turned it in the crimper 1/4 turn and crimped it again and it looked better. I don't think it will be a problem. I'm going to pull a vacuum on it next week and see what happens.

That wrapped steering wheel is killer!

Yes it is.[cl

Same here Pops, same here.... love the steering wheel.

[cl[cl[cl

[P[P[P

Agreed! That whole interior looks great.

Hey Pops- You happen to be a navy guy? I was in the Nimitz museum in Fredericksburg, Texas a couple years ago and saw on display a big gate valve wheel (approximately 12" in diameter) wrapped in cord like that and started thinking along those same lines. Definitely has "the look". :cool:

Thanks all. Not a navy guy. Army.
I started wrapping my steering wheels like that cause the heat in the summers around here made the dang things too hot to touch. Usually use paracord but I did the one in my Cummins Dodge with OD Green string line string that I really like too. It takes a lot of string and a lot of time but worth it I think.

No more hot steering wheels for me.

Thanks Dozer.
I had the same thought on the #10. I turned it in the crimper 1/4 turn and crimped it again and it looked better. I don't think it will be a problem. I'm going to pull a vacuum on it next week and see what happens.

Our crimpers were probably made in the same factory. I read somewhere to give the fittings a turn and re-crimp so I did all of them. I'm going to pressure test with Nitrogen first then the vacuum test.

Are you guys putting lube between the dies and the tool head so they slip easily. If not the best is this one or any of the small packets for spark plugs.

15553969.jpg

OI, I'd like to ride in on your shirttails, -- on the Dielectric grease issue.
Everyone should have Dielectric grease on hand, anyhow, for electrical connections, especially plug-ins. This grease makes connections watertight, so corrosion proof.
Sorry about branching off of your grease post, OI.

Latest posts

Back