1937 Chevy Coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We worked on the trunk lid yesterday.

We built some brackets and bolted them to both lower corners, where the original lock/latch hardware belongs...

attachment.php

Then we cobbled a pair of "tensioners", using the threaded portions from a set of cheap stabilizer jacks we had kicking around...

attachment.php

Pressure applied. We added tension, hammered a little, added tension, hammered some more, eventually working out a sharp buckle in the structure and some light pressure points on the skin...

attachment.php

Above, we had to apply some heat and another cobbled device to help pull the buckle out. (No pictures of the device, sorry.)

Closed the lid and it fit bad, really bad... but we still had a ton of pressure on it. We removed the tensioners and closed the lid again... hot damn, it's nearly perfect!

Before...

attachment.php

After...

attachment.php

Before...

attachment.php

After...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Remnants of paint and primer deceive the eye and actual fit. It's better than the pictures show and we're very pleased with the results. The other side still needs some work, but it's close and should work out just as well...

Attachments

• body20.jpg
    body20.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 71
  • body33.jpg
    body33.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 69
  • body23.jpg
    body23.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 68
  • body35 - Copy.jpg
    body35 - Copy.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 67
  • body36.jpg
    body36.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 71
  • body30.jpg
    body30.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 70
  • body31.jpg
    body31.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 68
  • body32 - Copy.jpg
    body32 - Copy.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 71
Thanks Torchie. That's a '37 or '38 Chevy all right! I like the Buick fenders. Dodge tail lights? Looks like he changed the dash as well...

looks buick or olds by the tail and dash to me

I't's a 37 Chevy for sure. He did a bit of work on the quarters to get the Buick fenders to look right.
I can't remember what the tail light sare from but I know he made the pedestals
The dash shell is from a 53 Plymouth Cranbrook with a custom made wood insert that houses a set of classic gauges.
It's really a sweet build that is very well done. He has been able to log on but hasn't done an intro yet.
I'm encouraging him to do it as he would be a great addition to this site.
Torchie

Deck lid looks great, Doc. I like your "tool". [cl I've done something similar with a VW bug jack and some home-made attachments.

Thanks guys, one and all!

A port a power with out the power.
Torchie

Exactly. I wanted even and constant pressure over time. (Hydraulics have "let me down" before. :mad:) Had I remained in the body and collision business, I'd have a different arsenal of weaponry, but such is not the case... improvise, adapt and overcome...

I't's a 37 Chevy for sure. He did a bit of work on the quarters to get the Buick fenders to look right.
I can't remember what the tail light sare from but I know he made the pedestals
The dash shell is from a 53 Plymouth Cranbrook with a custom made wood insert that houses a set of classic gauges.
It's really a sweet build that is very well done. He has been able to log on but hasn't done an intro yet.
I'm encouraging him to do it as he would be a great addition to this site.
Torchie

Thanks for the info. I hope your friend gains traction and appears here. I'm intrigued and any friend of yours is a friend of ours. ;)

sweet :cool:
can you reach both sides of the skin for repair?

Mostly. The underside is fairly open and accessible for some hammer and dolly therapy. What I can't reach (freely) is workable with a spoon or three. I haven't fully explored that issue yet, but I've come to understand the metal is relatively soft, responds well to small inputs and shapes easily without work hardening, within reason...

Underside of the trunk lid, again. Here, you can see how much open space is available...

attachment.php

The yellow arrows indicate a pair of bolt locations. They have siamese twins on the other side which leads me to believe we're missing a sturdy brace. (The lid is surprisingly "flexible" from corner to corner.)

I suppose we're missing that sturdy brace through the middle...

attachment.php

At any speed, the inner structure needs some help. We'll start with the missing brace and finger it out from there...

Attachments

• body30  holes.jpg
    body30 holes.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 53
  • body30 brace.jpg
    body30 brace.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 55
More trunk lid work today.

We put the tensioners back on and finished pulling the buckle with our primitive device...

attachment.php

We removed the device and the tensioners, closed the lid again and checked the fit... hmmm... one of these things is not like the other!

The driver side fits really nice and the passenger side improved with the stretch and hammer therapy, but the upper (passenger) corner still sits high.

Further experiments proved the hinge on that side must be bent. We removed the lid and both hinges... sure enough, one hinge is straight as an arrow, the other is bent and twisted. We buggered with the hinge for a while until it looked straight again, but the critical dimensions didn't change.

My plan, as of now, is to relief cut the hinge, correct the geometry and weld it...

Attachments

• body37.jpg
    body37.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Sounds like a plan to me..
Some times you just cant pound them back into shape.:eek: [ddd :D
Not to complicate matters..... Did you check the shape of the DS trunk gutter edge against the PS.? Not to mention the entire trunk opening.If it got hit hard enough to bend that hinge:eek:........
Just musing out loud as I'm sure you have already done all of this.
[P [P [P
Torchie

I was wondering how you were gonna pull the buckle out [cl[cl[cl
[P[P[P

A simple thing from a simple mind. :p

Sounds like a plan to me..
Some times you just cant pound them back into shape.:eek: [ddd :D
Not to complicate matters..... Did you check the shape of the DS trunk gutter edge against the PS.? Not to mention the entire trunk opening.If it got hit hard enough to bend that hinge:eek:........
Just musing out loud as I'm sure you have already done all of this.
[P [P [P
Torchie

The damaged hinge is a mystery to me. There's no damage in the package tray area (where the hinge attaches to the body), no visible evidence where the hinges attach to the lid. [S

Looking inside the lid, you can see the large, flat, triangular surfaces the hinges bolt to... not a wrinkle, dimple or pimple in sight...

attachment.php

The black arrows, near as I can tell, are superficial/cosmetic and have no appreciable effect. (I believe the lid was closed on an oversized object or six in the past 80 years.)

With the bent hinge loosened or removed, the lid fits pretty damn good with nice, even gaps.

I can only surmise, the hinge was borrowed from another car, or skillfully bent by telekinesis... maybe aliens... or somebody's grandmother stepped out of line and went for a ride in the country, kicking and screaming...

Attachments

• body38 - Copy.jpg
    body38 - Copy.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 49

Latest posts

Back