1937 Chevy Coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank You for your comments and compliments, everybody, much appreciated!

We wish we were moving quicker on this thing, but our time is limited and the chassis consumed many more hours and days than expected... regardless, we're happy we spent the time and effort to do it our way, "built, not bought."

I say DrC that frame does look substantial. :) Amen for the overbuilding. The frame on the 'vettester is a straight ladder with 2x6x3/16 rails and 4x6x3/16 crossmembers. :)

Thanks, earthman. Your 'vettester is one of my favorites! Do you still have it?

Frame looks great Doc, while the mig is still warmed up you could come and weld up my frame. :D:D

I'd have to keep it warm for the three hour road trip. (NFL. Not Flipping Likely.) Tell you what... warm up your MIG and stock your fridge... we'll accomplish something or nothing. ;)

A successful build starts with a great foundation. You could drop that frame out of a cargo plane at 25,000 feet and not hurt it.[cl

Reading back a little to see where I left off...

My hair's been on fire so many times I can't believe I have any left!

Today, we performed a few more flips and finished the frame welding... at long last!

The bare tube at the rear will (eventually) serve to mount the shocks... we haven't fingered that out yet...

At this point, we're going to put the frame aside and work on the body. (Space restraints dictate.)

Next, we'll cobble a body dolly and deal with its issues...

Wow, that frame looks stout Doc, definitely shouldn't be much twist in that one!

I say DrC that frame does look substantial. :) Amen for the overbuilding. The frame on the 'vettester is a straight ladder with 2x6x3/16 rails and 4x6x3/16 crossmembers. :)

4x6 crossmembers? :eek: Safe to say you'll probably never be replacing a crossmember!

You dasent (my grandmother's word) MIG if you blow over a .08.[;):D

I'm the grandson of four cultures and languages. I speak none of those languages, so you can't fool me. ;)

Can we test that theory... PLEAAAAAAASE [cl

Call me next time you rent a Hercules... the frame and I will roll out behind you. :p

What the others said, looking good. Boy, if the GM engineers in 1937 had suggested using that much steel in the frame, the bean counters would have flipped out!

I took notes from exceptional builds like yours. Thank you.

I’ve seen trucks that didn’t have that solid of a frame!
Ought to hold that Keith Black blown hemi well![ddd[ddd[ddd

Hmmm...

Update:

Floor space is an issue, so the "finished" frame was stood on its right ear, pushed aside and secured to the wall.

We have some lower body concerns, so we built a stand to provide a comfortable working height...

attachment.php

On wheels. We drilled a set of "car skates" and screwed the stand to the skates...

attachment.php

Body on the dolly...

attachment.php

Like I said earlier, we have some lower body concerns. The cowl corners are rotten, the passenger side rocker needs a good sized patch and the tailpan is a horrible mess...

attachment.php

The photo above can't begin to demonstrate the horror... with wood chisels and hammers, B-tard and myself chipped a couple gallons of filler from this "sculpture".

Underneath the art work... you guessed it... more rivets, more brass. (No surprise. We knew from the get-go, the tailpan was butchered and needs to be replaced.)

One last photo... sorry for the focus fail... everything "white" in this picture is plastic filler, 1/4" or thicker!

attachment.php

Attachments

• body1.JPG
    body1.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 60
  • body2.JPG
    body2.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 61
  • body4.JPG
    body4.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 62
  • body6.JPG
    body6.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 61
  • body7.JPG
    body7.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 58
Typical of some peoples ideas of body work.
I've seen it MUCH thicker, as we all have. :eek:
Good to know it's in your capable hands Good Dr.
Your thoughts on fabricating the tail pan...(Other then sending it to ZZ.[ddd.)
[P [P [P
Torchie

Your thoughts on fabricating the tail pan...

I offered the job to zz in humour... a ridiculous proposition because we're 900 miles apart and his wife doesn't like either one of us. :p

Seriously, we have an EMS piece which I expect to fit poorly. (I'm not zz, nor am I the sheetmetal wizard known as dutch.) I expect we'll have to massage the piece considerably to fit. Time will tell and we'll cross that bridge soon...

ARRRGGHH, that's a nasty mess - lucky you can buy a replacement, even if it doesn't fit perfectly, it's easier to tweak it than going the hard way like me.
Yep, bondo can really hide the ugly truth - but only for so long...

Years ago a buddy had some questionable body work done on a 56 Chev, headlights surrounds were so rotted, they wadded a T-shirt with bondo as a base to build the 'sculpture' on. He spotted the car a few years after in a different color and gave its new owner the bad news, by looking under the fender, you could still see the T-shirt wad behind the headlight bucket...

ARRRGGHH, that's a nasty mess - lucky you can buy a replacement, even if it doesn't fit perfectly, it's easier to tweak it than going the hard way like me.
Yep, bondo can really hide the ugly truth - but only for so long...

Years ago a buddy had some questionable body work done on a 56 Chev, headlights surrounds were so rotted, they wadded a T-shirt with bondo as a base to build the 'sculpture' on. He spotted the car a few years after in a different color and gave its new owner the bad news, by looking under the fender, you could still see the T-shirt wad behind the headlight bucket...

...and it probably took more hrs too...

Latest posts

Back