The Go-T

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowbudget50

Creators of all things awesome
So I picked up this t last night from a customer. Currently the car has a four cylinder and a 5-speed out of a Chevy S10 and I believe the rear end out of the S10 also. The front end has a drop axle underneath of it with disc brakes. We are going to shoehorn a 1997 4.6 and transmission out of a Crown Victoria into this little guy. Going to be a tight fit but it's going to be a mover when it's done. The car also Sports a custom-built 2 by 3 3/16 wall frame I was done by the owners dad. But judging by how well the car made it home on the trailer I am assuming we're going to have to do some work on the frame. We have not made it 30 minutes down the road and we heard some random noises coming from trailer so we stopped to see what was going on and we found that the driver side ladder bar had completely broken loose from the rear axle and the passenger side was barely hanging on. We still had a 3-hour truck ride home so weary secured the rear end to the car with some more straps and tied it down a little bit differently. We made it home without any further incidents. But that just means now I am going to have to go over the whole car with a fine-tooth comb before I put my name on it at all. I sent pictures to the owner as soon as it happened and he was not surprised because he said there was some odd noises coming from the rear end a while ago. He is on board with going over everything to make the car safe. So let this fun begin

Attachments

• 0508191559_HDR.jpg
    0508191559_HDR.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 91
  • 0508191838_HDR.jpg
    0508191838_HDR.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 0508191838a_HDR.jpg
    0508191838a_HDR.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 0508191857_HDR.jpg
    0508191857_HDR.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 73
Sounds like the owners dad needs to practice up on his welding.:eek:
Good looking "T", it's probably going to to need a lot of work before it meets your standards.

[P[P[P[P[P[P[P

WOW! Not at all what I was expecting when you said "t". Of course I was thinking a little turtle back T-bucket. Not a full fendered touring car. I'd say you are going to wrack up some hours on this one.

What are those strips of metal welded (?) to the top of the axle housing over the ladder bar that is falling off? I don't know how much driving it got before, but the four-banger might have saved some lives. Or at least some embarrassment.

Have fun with this one.

looks like fun on a bun.

I had an S10 SFI 2.2 5 spd in a 65 chevy shortbed, before it was running everyone told me how disappointing it would be to drive. after it was running it was nice how wrong everyone was.

sweet... gotta love some danger huh...
cant really tell from the pics but was that a hit & miss weld or did it shear off next to the weld? [S

sweet... gotta love some danger huh...
cant really tell from the pics but was that a hit & miss weld or did it shear off next to the weld? [S

There was just not enough heat in the welds if popped the welds right off the axle.

Yeah we didn't plan on having to do a bunch of stuff like this to it. But that's how these builds go

too bad if someone builds it and wrappes it around a tree... a lot worse if he takes you or your family with him :mad:

I did some work on a bike a few yrs ago... I swear if the frame was dropped from 50ft onto the pavement, every single part would have come off :rolleyes:

I`m sure it will be a cool and save ride once you`re done :cool:

Glad it's come to someone like you to make it right! Scary to think of what could have happened - and it's work like that that could well screw it up for the rest of us! Good luck on the rebuild and I'll be watching and enjoying your progress.

Glad it's come to someone like you to make it right! Scary to think of what could have happened - and it's work like that that could well screw it up for the rest of us! Good luck on the rebuild and I'll be watching and enjoying your progress.

What's really scary to think is this car was actually built and inspected by Washington State and retitled. So technically this car was done correctly that way which just goes to show they don't know what they're doing

It fits ish hahahaha

Attachments

• 0510191217_HDR.jpg
    0510191217_HDR.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 0510191216a_HDR.jpg
    0510191216a_HDR.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 0510191216_HDR.jpg
    0510191216_HDR.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 0510191218a_HDR.jpg