Custom Mopar ????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just mounted a 2500lb winch to the floor in my shop to pull cars in!! much easier hahaha. I have a 12000lb on my trailer, works wonderfully!!

car is looking good!

Drill a hole in the floor put in an anchor then when you need the wench just drop the bolt into the anchor through the wench's mounting hole.

Thanks for the comments gang 😎
My current shop will hold four cars which is big for a residential garage. The guy that built the place was a welder by trade .
I would have liked to have at least a 8 foot high door but have a standard 7 foot.
Other then the hooking point it’s a decent setup.
Won’t get much done for the next few days as our youngest daughter has gotten engaged so we have to make a trip over to see them and start the wedding plans.😳
Plus still have to get the outside stuff put away before we get a serious snow fall.
Torchie

Perhaps someone on here can get out their paint by numbers set and do a colorization for me.(Hint.Hint. Dr Crank.... or anyone else.
Here is a better pic of the outboard color and the side shot of the car courtesy of Rik on the Custom Car Chronicle site. And the one the guy from Germany did. That one has all the trim in place.
Torchie

I'm messing with something new to me. (The learning curve is worse than actually painting a car, at least for this dummy!) Here's my first attempt which I've titled, "Fine Mess". :eek:

attachment.php

Attachments

• torchie gold fine mess.jpg
    torchie gold fine mess.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 36
Drill a hole in the floor put in an anchor then when you need the wench just drop the bolt into the anchor through the wench's mounting hole.
That's the plan OI. Just need to lay my hands on the proper drill.

Very nice Dr.C[cl[cl

That works.[cl
WOW. Thanks DR. I knew I could count on you.[cl :D :cool:
This has made my day.[cl [cl [cl
NOW....
Since you are in learning mode.:D
I will paint the door tops black as well and use that belt moulding as the cut off point. Just cutting off the black at the bottom of the A pillars where they meet the cowl. I think this helps the flow. At least to my eye.
The color you have on the door tops is REALLY close to the color I'm planning on using.:cool: :cool:
Spent some time getting the outside pre winter stuff done today.
Tomorrows plan is to lift the custom body off the rotten frame.
I figured if I can flip a boat by myself......:eek::p
Since I'm constantly scrounging for parts this popped up on my FB market place feed today.
This has been chopped 3-1/2 inches so it's real close to mine. The BIG difference is the shorter rear quarter window.
I like it but that short quarter window looks more at home in a 40's type of custom to me.
It also looks like a smaller rear window, but hard to tell for sure.
Once again. thanks to all that contribute to this thread. It helps to keep my juices flowing.:eek: :)
Torchie

Attachments

• 122263204_10224903749886830_3547175529861394451_n.jpg
    122263204_10224903749886830_3547175529861394451_n.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 25
  • ga8v5xmtkwo55nl4gaujw6tru2jnerpk-1.jpg
    ga8v5xmtkwo55nl4gaujw6tru2jnerpk-1.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 16
Torchie, that quarter window looks like a businessmans coupe when yours is probably a club coupe.
Here's an older era businessmans Dodge coupe that I have, showing a smaller window before a chop.

Attachments

• IMG_1309.jpg
    IMG_1309.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1330.jpg
    IMG_1330.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 14
Mac. You are mixing apples and oranges. :eek:
In 49, Dodge came out with the Coronet. First year for this model and it was a mid year reveal. So some 49 Dodges look like the one you pictured. And others look like mine. Confused??? It gets better.:D
Mine and the one in the ad are "Club Coupes." Which really look more like a 2 door sedan. Sort of. Plus the ad says "Club coupe.":)
See the first Pic.
The Business mans coupe for that mid year model was the 3 window. See second Pic.
Now to make it even more interesting. The Business mans coupe was based on the Wayfarer Model only. Shorter wheel base then the Coronet but with the same front sheet metal.
If you look at the pic from the ad it has the same door top shape as mine. See pic 3.
The first series corner of the door top is curved. See pic 4.
All of which really makes it interesting when parts are listed for sale as 49 Dodge parts.
Mine would have looked like the one in the ad except for the fact that I cut up into the roof and back over the quarter window and moved the whole piece back to line up the B pillar instead of just moving the B pillar back to line it up. The one in the ad has much more of the stock sail panel area then mine does.(Which is another reason I did what I did to mine.)
The first series 49 Dodges were very the last of the post war carry over styling.Think 46 -48. The 2nd series Dodge Coronets was their some what tepid attempt at a more "Modern" style.
Whew.... I'm exhausted after all that.:p

Attachments

• ebay81930.jpg
    ebay81930.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 10
  • ebay458938.jpg
    ebay458938.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 122263204_10224903749886830_3547175529861394451_n.jpg
    122263204_10224903749886830_3547175529861394451_n.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 496901.jpg
    496901.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I'm glad you like it, Torchie. Obviously, my struggles are with consistency, shading, opacity, etc., etc. [S :confused:

Black added. Should I remove the vent window?

attachment.php

Attachments

• torchie gold fine mess -blk rf.jpg
    torchie gold fine mess -blk rf.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Very cool, I can see you being tired after that Torchie, I'm still confused [S[S[P[P

You aren't alone, Dozer. I won't even get into the Canadian Dodges that were rebadged Plymouths... I think.:eek:

I'm glad you like it, Torchie. Obviously, my struggles are with consistency, shading, opacity, etc., etc. [S :confused:

Black added. Should I remove the vent window?

attachment.php

Looks great DR. I think it flows better this way.
Leave the vent windows. I plan to use them on mine unless I get to that point and can't afford the $150 for a set of seals.:eek: :eek:
Trying to do things with a computer like this always give me a better appreciation of those that can.:)

If Gene Winfield was to do a faux paint job, this would be it [cl
Great minds and all ....OI.:p That was my first thought upon seeing Cranks post. It's a Gene Winfield fade job.:cool: :cool:
I've have learned a lot about Mopars since starting this project. Like all the car companies they have their elements that are unique to them only. It just seems that the Dodges had more.[cl :eek: :p [ddd
Thanks for stopping by.
Torchie

I'm still reeling from having to learn that much about old Dodges so suddenly. Ya, mine is a '46, so different, and a rebadged Canadian Plymouth, so different again, and I had forgotten about three window business coupes of your era.

Nice pictures, Doc.

I'm still reeling from having to learn that much about old Dodges so suddenly. Ya, mine is a '46, so different, and a rebadged Canadian Plymouth, so different again, and I had forgotten about three window business coupes of your era.

Nice pictures, Doc.

No worries Mac. You just got the cliff notes version.:eek: [ddd
People talk about Ford stuff ( Long door or short door coupes) being odd at times but they don't hold a candle to some of the Mopar stuff.
Started to lift the body this morning.
Figured out a quick pull point. The bench is made of I beam with a thick covering of wood. They are also attached to the block wall behind them. So I just lagged the winch to the bench top.:D
In some of the pics you can see what I believe to be a factory body lift point right at the angle of the cowl/fire wall. My concern was that this is above the cut line and since I did just the minimum of welding to hold the 2 halves together I didn't want to experience separation anxiety.:D So straps it is.
Maybe I should consider making this a Gasser.:p[cl:D
That's all for now.
Torchie

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 2-6.jpg
    2-6.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 2-5.jpg
    2-5.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 2-3.jpg
    2-3.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 2-1.jpg
    2-1.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 23
"Raise your Dodge in the air like you just don't care.":eek: :D :cool:
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-7.jpg
    2-7.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 2-8.jpg
    2-8.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 2-9.jpg
    2-9.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 2-11.jpg
    2-11.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 2-12.jpg
    2-12.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 14
Where there's a will, there's a way. And Torchie, you have an abundance of will. Are you going to be able to work through the winter on it?

That’s the plan Bob. Just the body will go on a carts and I will turn it sideways in the back of the shop like I had the boat.
The next step is to get the donor car in where the custom is now so I can pull parts off it as needed. With this setup I will still have plenty of room for our daily driver.
I can heat the shop with my salamander allowing me to work. I couldn’t do that with the boat as I didn’t want to dry out the wood .
Torchie

Latest posts

Back