Front axel

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theking

im starting a rat rod project i have a 43 ford truck cab and a s10 frame and im askin opinions on what i should use for a front and rear axel im not real sure what to use so im asking the rat rod community. If you have pictures that would be great.

Are you using fenders? That will determine the answer. No fenders, solid axle, but you will need to redo the front of the S10 frame. Fenders, use the S10 suspension.

There are lots of great pics on this site. For the amount of work it'll take to make the S10 frame work, you should go ahead and build one.

no im not using fenders and yea i would like to use a solid axel but ii would like for it to be off of a ford cause im a big ford guy i really didnt want to use the s10 frame but thats all i had to work with but any way the more info the better so if any ideas about a front axel off a ford to use on my rat rod tell me what you guys think cause im kinda new to this.

My Speedway - 2011 street rod master catalog - just came . On the back cover is the set up you are needing . split bones , drilled 4"drop super bell axle,reverse eye spring ,plain perches , plain shackles ,plain lower shock mounts , tie rod ends , jam nuts and weld on frame brackets . 800 bucks

If somebody could help me can you please send me some numbers to use so i can build my own frame thanks

Sounds as if you are pretty new to this. Just some advice, unless you are an experienced fabricator and welder have have a professional build your frame if this is your first build. There's a lot riding on the frame (excuse the pun) like your life and everyone else out on the road with you.

Look over as many build threads on this forum as you can and see what you like. There are lot of books and magazines out there that will guide you and help you with your build. Don't just jump in head first without a plan. or you'll end up spending more money thanyou need.

o yeah i understand saftey is an issue and yeah i have experince in fab work and welding just metal work in general and ive come up with some stuff on my own numbers wise like frame plans but like you said dmw56 i wanna to get this right te first time cause if i dont then yea i will spend more money than i want to but i really apprciate the input guys

im located in TN. im sorry man but i dont think im gonna go that far but i really appriciate tellin me.

Although I am supposed to be working I am going to take a break and see if I can give you some useful information.

1. I personally dislike the S-10 frame route so I suggest selling it

2. There are many discussions with photos on how to build a frame here. However, here are some pointers.

Learn how to weld, and I don't mean gorilla weld. If you cannot make a decent weld don't even start your own frame. You should also know how to create a good weld joint, if you can weld but don't a T joint from a corner joint you probably don't want to go the build it yourself route.

That aside, most folks use 2" x 4" tubing with .188 wall.

As for dimensions, you will need to figure those out on your own based on what you are trying to do, frame width, length, etc. are all governed by what you want and what you need. i.e. SBC engine is so long, plus tranny, plus radiator, then you need to figure on the cab, rearend location, ride height and much much more.

If you are new to this go read everything you can and then make a plan.

Oh yeah, you were asking about an axle. In this world of hot rodding do not worry if it is a Ford, Chevy whatever. You need to use on that works with your frame dimensions, type of suspension, etc.

Speedway sells complete setups that can at least you get you thinking.

Hey guys i was wondering if there is any good websites out there to order performance parts for a 302,5.0 as of right now its bone stock and it come out of an 89 and ive heard the best thing you can do is put on some headers and a mild cam and its an EFI so maybe a better injection system, i heard the ones that come off cobras are really good but i would just like for it turn a few heads like i dont want it to be ridicouls but i want to do a little something when i pull up to somebody at a redlight lol.

Latest posts

Back