looking for model a pick up roadster build thread

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pic

253.jpg

Here is one I'm playing around with. It was a Fordor sedan but my Son modified it into a rpu. Then he bought a new Brookville body so I inherited the old one.:) One of these days I'll finish it up.

Don

RPUmotormounts003.jpg

009.jpg

003.jpg

001-1.jpg

Don, that thing looks great! I was just contemplating doing something similar with a '30 cowl and doors I've got out in the garage.

Any info. on the build of that one?

Jay

playing around?

as usual Don and his son has done it again.....hey Don..how did you attach the back of the cab to the rest of the body? do your doors open?....it looks like a 32 like the cab i have......where did you get the windshield posts? more pics please[P more pics of the frame if you got em

I can't take credit for anything on the whole cab, my Son Dan built it then decided his car was coming out so nice it deserved a new Brookville body. I immediately dragged this cab to my side of the shop and claimed it for my own.:D

Oh, and yes, the doors open. He attached the back section just like Ford did it, at the subframe. The back section is free standing. Originally he had the stock sedan windshield on it but decided that was too bulky, so he cut it off and modified 29 RPU windshield stanctions to fit, and then bought a 32 roadster frame that just happened to fit perfectly in there.

I had a ton of pictures at one time but lost them in my computer crash. Here are a few that I still have though.

Don

dansfordorstartingtocutup3.jpg

dansfordorstartingtocutup4.jpg

dansfordorstartingtocutup5.jpg

dansfordorstartingtocutup7.jpg

I'm impressed![cl Do you take credit for Dan's ability Don?:D...Old Bone, you certainly came to the right place for help..Good luck with your build......CR

Don if you aren't the MAN, then you're the father of THE MAN!! That is my favorite type of rod. If you look in the thread What would you drive if money was no object, that is what I would drive. Very Cool!! Old Bone there is something to strive for.

Don's Rods

I am very thankful that Don posts his and Dans builds...Don seems very down to earth I have been watching his posts for 1.5 years...mostly on the old KB site....i try to ask guys on the HAMB about builds and generally get a brush off....so I come here to learn...and believe me they lurk this site all the time...and I wanna know how do you bend you 1x1 square tubing...i see no crease...i can assume with your 2x2 square tubing you make pie cuts as you go...in addition i have take some measurments on a mg midget top and think with some work one could make it work..better than the 500 buck tops they sell in speedway for roadsters....i have located 4 tops here in Maine and can get em' very cheap from a wrecking yard...so pm me if you want to try to make em work...i am in louisana now running a supply boat in the oil patch so i will be home in 2 weeks....

Well thank you. :) I guess there are benders that will shape square tubing but we don't have one. The way we do it is time consuming, but it works. We make cuts through 3 sides of the tubing at about 1 inch intervals then bend it so they all close up and give you the shape you want. Then you weld up each cut and grind it smooth. Lotsa work and it takes some time, but it allows you to do it without fancy benders. You have to clamp the piece down while welding so it won't deform.

Dan did all the ones in the back section of his old body and it took him forever. He has more patience than me. :eek:

As for the rear suspension. He is using a four bar setup with a Posies quarter eliptic spring setup. The entire rear is basically a pro street back half kit from American Autoweld that he cut up and modified to fit. It should plant the tires pretty well.

Don

dansframestartingtoassemble013.jpg

dansframestartingtoassemble004.jpg

And this is the setup I was going to use under my rpu, but I gave it to the guy who bought the 39 Dodge truck I sold. I wanted to go more with a four bar setup because I would like to race the rpu a little when done and I was afraid the S10 rear wouldn't hold up to that.

RPUmotormounts005.jpg

Latest posts

Back