1934 Plymouth five window

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More sanding today, guys, on the door window frame for the passengers side. I made a molded sanding block, that worked not quite as good as I had hoped. I put two layers of duct tape on a good segment of window frame and then dumped on a handful of body filler. When it hardened I pried it off and pressed some sticky-back sanding paper in it. The last picture is the new block in position to smooth away and keep all of the curves and angles constant.

Attachments

• IMG_1400.jpg
    IMG_1400.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1401.jpg
    IMG_1401.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1402.jpg
    IMG_1402.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 22
Thanks guys. I want to have to tell people that I chopped those doors, as opposed to them seeing shoddy bondoing and guessing what I did.
Torchie, I had a town day today so got nothing done but buying a 3/16 round wooden dowel for checking curving body work. Thank you for the idea.

Thanks guys. I want to have to tell people that I chopped those doors, as opposed to them seeing shoddy bondoing and guessing what I did.
Torchie, I had a town day today so got nothing done but buying a 3/16 round wooden dowel for checking curving body work. Thank you for the idea.

You are welcome Mac. I have also used a steel rod in a pinch but they tend to want to stay curved.:eek:
Your like me on the chop. Some one told me that they couldn't tell where I cut the roof on my project and I replied "That's the way it's supposed to be. Isn't it"
Torchie.

"I want to have to tell people that I chopped those doors, as opposed to them seeing shoddy bondoing and guessing what I did."
MercuryMac

"That's the way it's supposed to be. Isn't it"
Torchie.

Well, hmmm....some of us don't require smooth anymore, just willing...oh, wait, we're talkin about cars and trucks right?

Torchie, when I get done a chop, I won't be BSing people into believing it's factory,......no, no, no, I'll be braggin' my brains out, spillin' the beans.
Smallfoot, wait 'til you get to be my age, your mind won't drift off topic so much like that,.....no, no, no ......it'll drift off topic some-other-how.

I got a little sanding done today, but mostly I helped a friend, fixing things for his '68 Dodge truck with it's big block, honeymoon shifting automatic, and it's wild yellow and black paint.

Life keeps happening to me so I don't get much time in the shop.:( I did get a little sanding in yesterday and some more in today, boy oh boy, boring. Tomorrow, ya..... tomorrow will be a ripsnorter.;)

I had a good day in the shop today, so have some progress to report. Most of the body filler that I have applied and reapplied has now been sanded off and is lying on the floor in piles. The outside of the window frame, the part that everyone get to see is finished and half of the door edge and inside is also done and in final primer.

Once while waiting for some body filler to solidify and some primer to dry, I swung over to another unrelated project and started putting brakes on an 8 3/4 Chrysler rear-end for a '46 Dodge business coupe.

Attachments

• IMG_1404.jpg
    IMG_1404.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1405.jpg
    IMG_1405.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1403.jpg
    IMG_1403.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 15
That's a heck of a good job.
Let me be the first to ask, where did you cut the doors when you chopped them. I can't tell :)

OI, that was probably a rhetorical question, but I'm going to answer anyhow. At the hinge side there is an easy cut and fix a couple of inches below the hinge. The front of the window frame is where real fixing comes in, as the A frame is leaned back further on a coupe and has to be leaned even more because of the chop. There is one pie cut out from the bottom/front of the window hole to just above the door handle. The upper corner of the front is a gentle curve, well it had to be made even more gentle, and kept as smooth as a baby's bum.

I moved on to the door skin. Large expanses of tin look good when they are in patina mode, but when you run your hand over them the truth comes out. This door had been caved in at the lower front corner and I popped it back out[first pic], so after hammer / dolly work I slathered on a thin layer of body filler. I wish I could put this bondo on evenly. It's actually too thick so I'll have to sand a lot off and I'm certain there will be some spots that are too shallow[second pic].

Attachments

• IMG_1399.jpg
    IMG_1399.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1406.jpg
    IMG_1406.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 19
I fiddled around, wasted time, went to town, twiddled my thumbs, and did a little bit of body work on my passenger door. 1st picture is what I wish is the final primering of the chopped window frame. The second is the door skin with some thin skim body filler and primer. It has been sanded a million strokes so is more than half done, I hope.:eek:

Attachments

• IMG_1408.jpg
    IMG_1408.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1407.jpg
    IMG_1407.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
My hats off to ya
gesturing-hi-smiley-emoticon.gif

I respect anyone who can do body work.
I've never had the patience to make one look really good.
I can cut, grind, weld and bend stuff all day long but, no filler primer and all the procedures to smooth it out for paint.

OI, Thank you for the nod. I'm not a body man, but I am persistent. I keep slathering Bondo on there and sanding it all off again, layer after layer. There are probably real body men on here that are quietly laughing parts of their anatomy off at my inefficient ways, but I am persistent.
When I get this door done, I'm not starting on the drivers door, I'll take a break and put the motor and transmission in, something easy.

More sanding and polishing today, but no progress. Man-O-man.
Smallfoot, You think you're miffed now, this is only the tip of the iceberg you see. Now that I polished up part of a door, I have to go around the whole car and straighten out the improperly welded and warped patch panels. If I'd just 'flatblacked' it all, I'd be almost done now.:(
The next project will be a Rat Rod, almost for sure. It's a '34 Dodge Brothers truck that's beat up a bit, but complete.

Attachments

• 34 Dodge pulled out.jpg
    34 Dodge pulled out.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 24

Latest posts

Back