1934 Plymouth five window

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Over the last few days I've done some more body work and I went out to the cold storage and robbed my 1933 parts car of inner windshield valance, the rear view mirror bracket, parts of the pushout windshield mechanism, [which is different from the '34], and the rear door handles.
As for the body work on the door, this suicide door has blown open at some time and wrinkled the hinge side of the door skin, so that had to be addressed. There was quite a bit of hammer and dolly work and some heating red spots with the subsequent cooling/contracting. One of my dollies is a long tire iron for doing big truck tires.

Attachments

• IMG_1410.jpg
    IMG_1410.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1411.jpg
    IMG_1411.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1409.jpg
    IMG_1409.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 21
More sanding today with only slight measurable progress.
I also made a flexible pouring spout for the bigger mouthed oil jugs that we get now. Wouldn't it be neat if you could go up town and buy a spout for the five litre jugs.

Thanks Smallfoot. It's all there, possibly driveable and with very little rust. The poor truck is so beat-up that I'll have to fix it up quite a bit to make it a rat. The old fellow was really, really cheap so didn't replace any parts. He also couldn't fix anything so it was no use buying parts, I guess, so, for brakes, he just ran into trees or granaries. For the last 30 years he had hauled rocks off his fields with the poor truck, loading it with a front end loader, so the box and back half of the cab is beat badly.
It is cool truck,:cool::cool: especially if I had kept with my original plan of stuffing a baby HEMI and A833 in there.

MercMac what are you using for a block sander? My inline board sander died so took the plate of and used it by hand looked really good until i got paint on it, NOT, i'm doing the top lots of slight curve area kinda like your doors and yours look great. [cl

Soltz, I'm using a long board probably like yours to go horizontally, usually, and a hard foam, long, sorta' flexible block for vertical passes. It's a little bit tricky to get the sticky back sandpaper to stick to the foam block and not bunch up because the curve of the door changes as you go up it, and the dang sand paper doesn't expand and contract like the foam does. You'll find that too, with your roof.
I'll get you some pictures of my sanding tools.
Keep up the good work on your paint job.

Thank you Sir

Pictures would be great. here's what i'm using, it's the board from a broken pneumatic sander and an 8" rasp for a handle. For slipping paper i spray a little 3M contact cement to hold it in place, it will pull off and stack sticky for some time.

Attachments

• Longboard sander.jpg
    Longboard sander.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 21
Here are some pics Soltz. I didn't mean that the sand paper didn't stick well, it just doesn't lengthen and shorten as the foam block and the tin change contours, but it does sorta' work anyhow.
I am using a wooden yardstick and Torchies 3/16" wooden dowel to drape over the sanded area once in a while and check for high and low spots.
You're taking on a biggish job, polishing up the whole car but when you're done you will have a million dollar hotrod.

Attachments

• IMG_1412.jpg
    IMG_1412.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1413.jpg
    IMG_1413.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
My nephew came over to visit today and showed me how to get my new hand held reader with remote scope, going. That was a good thing; the visit and the education on electronic gadgetry.
My '33 door is done with the body filler and primered for the second time, but partway through the last application I had to change rattle cans and the new one dripped badly onto the smooth surface before I caught it. There will be more block sanding and more primering in my future.
I welded up a crack near where the sedan had it's swing out safety latch hole pic 1, and made a new thick iron pad for around the new [coupe] safety latch hole. pic 2.

Attachments

• IMG_1414.jpg
    IMG_1414.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1415.jpg
    IMG_1415.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 29
Well, I sanded off my mess of primer application and resprayed it. The new stopper plate that I had made for the swing out safety, is bolted into place and the bottom window frame is cleaned out and placed back in the door. The inner handles are working nicely, now, and the door is mounted on the hinges again.

Attachments

• IMG_1416.jpg
    IMG_1416.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 42
Loooooking Good!!

Doesn't it seem you always find (at least in my case) the one can manufactured that doesn't spray properly....either a bad nozzle or it's some glitch in the pressure or something....and it's always the darned can you grab to finish the job.....every time!! :mad:

Latest posts

Back