The 40G

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Body work...anyone who does this for a living is underpaid!

Attachments

• GMC 220.jpg
    GMC 220.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 122
  • GMC 215.jpg
    GMC 215.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 100
  • GMC 213.jpg
    GMC 213.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 115
Apply, sand and repeat...ugh! Baby steps forward.

Attachments

• GMC 226.jpg
    GMC 226.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 85
  • GMC 227.jpg
    GMC 227.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 83
  • P1010799.jpg
    P1010799.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 88
Thanks guys, I appreciate the compliments. It's getting there, slowly but surely. My wife keeps telling me I am getting the body too perfect. I sure do have respect for body work guys; it's definitely an art.

Yeah, I always thought the roof line looked good as it rolled into the door but the gutters kinda broke that up so I popped them off. I like it!

Your wife says you are getting it too perfect. She is a natural born ratrodder.
Not everyone can just let them be rats :D I never understood going to the toil and trouble
of chopping a top to only take 2 inches out.6 inches makes a statement loud and clear. :D

Earthman, yeah the Mrs. likes 'em ratted! When I first got my truck she told me to chop it and run it even though it was really dirty and had three rat's nests in it! Don't get me wrong, I like rats too but this one is gonna be a little cleaner with just as much (or more) attitude.

It's funny that you mention the chop; I've always thought the same thing. No offense but if you're gonna go through all of the work, make it count! Thanks for watching my build. More on the way... I hope!

Lookin awesome! I've got my 39 chevy sittin in the shop to stare at. Been reading a lot here, makin plans and gathering parts. Subscribing to this htread!!

Thanks for the kudos guys, I appreciate it. I am new to the body work thing so I am taking it slow and hopefully doing it correctly.

That's a good lookin'/solid start you have there Troyster. Do you have any build ideas yet? Yeah, there are a lot of cool builds going on here and a lot of information too.

How cool is it that we live in an era where like-minded people can meet up and share their builds and ideas anytime without even leaving their houses. It's a cool time to be a hot rodder!

Last edited:
Thanks, its got some rusty spots by the floor and in the typical places I've seen on others. I cant decide, fenders or not, I like the looks of both. I want to be able to put a hood top on for driving in the rain. Ive got a couple of old sbc race car engines that could be redone, one is a 434 ci 400 and I have a couple of 454 engines. Decisions, decisions!!

I'm new to the body work part myself also, other than banging on race car sheet metal. My son and I sat in it on some boards the other night and we were both grinning BIG! Was thinking of a 4 or 5 inch chop, but you made the 6" look easy and I love the look of it.

As for the knowledge on this here site, it is amazing! I have half a notebook full of notes already.

Decisions, decisions indeed! I spent a ton of time just looking my truck over, plotting everything. To me engineering it is so much fun. As I said in my build, I chopped my '40 Chevy 5" and the '40 GMC 6". I would say 6" is just a little more work than 5" but there is a surprising visual difference. I'd be glad to send you or show pics of the Chevy if it helps you decide on a chop. I almost went with fenders on mine. I think these trucks look great buried with full fenders, running boards and about a 5" chop! Decisions! I look forward to watching your build. Good luck.

Last edited:
Just for funzies: 1940 Chevy with a 5" chop (and two cats!) on the left and a 1940 GMC with a 6" chop on the right.

Attachments

• '40 Chevy 090.jpg
    '40 Chevy 090.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 140
  • GMC 225.jpg
    GMC 225.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 142
Well, a little progress over the weekend. I finished the body work at the section and chop points on the doors and finally got around to finishing the firewall. I left the middle unfinished since it will likely be cut out to make room for the transmission and bellhousing. It's been unfinished for so long, it's a trip to see it done. More to come!

Attachments

• 40 GMC 048.jpg
    40 GMC 048.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 94
  • GMC 234.jpg
    GMC 234.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 94
  • GMC 233.jpg
    GMC 233.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 107
  • GMC 213.jpg
    GMC 213.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 98
  • 40 GMC 017.jpg
    40 GMC 017.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 97
Dang! My last post was 6 days ago and I am on page three? This is a busy site with a lot of builds going. I haven't had time to chip away at the '40 lately. Day to day life has been getting in the way of fun! But, today I had a little time so I mocked up some wheels and worked out a few measurements that I've been wondering about. In the pictures the cab is at eventual ride height and the "maytag" wheels are set at a 122" wb. The rear's center line is two feet back from the cab which puts it in the middle of the eventual 4' bed. I am probably going to raise the engine about 1 or 2 inches and that will mandate building a new floor with a way taller tunnel. Stay tuned, more to come.

Attachments

• GMC 236.jpg
    GMC 236.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 181
  • GMC 237.jpg
    GMC 237.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 165
  • GMC 238.jpg
    GMC 238.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 156
  • GMC 239.jpg
    GMC 239.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 143
For some reason when I see that big block and tunnel ram sitting in front of your cab the only thing I can think of is a quote from one of the OGs...."SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!!":D

Excellent work on the cab. I can't wait to see how this thing turns out...keep up the good work![cl

For some reason when I see that big block and tunnel ram sitting in front of your cab the only thing I can think of is a quote from one of the OGs...."SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!!":D

Excellent work on the cab. I can't wait to see how this thing turns out...keep up the good work![cl

Yeah! I like that! Thanks for the compliment. I've been sidetracked for the last couple of weeks and haven't had the time to work on the '40. But, I plan on getting a lot done starting next week. To all who are interested, I'll have some more pictures up soon. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back