The 40G

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
try just doing a "brushed" finish. It can be acomplished by using 100 or 80 grit sand paper and sanding one direction until you get the finish you want. then clear it. [P

Went thru the whole build. It is waaaay cool! Keep up the good work.

Thank you ZZ, I appreciate the compliment. The truck's comin' around and I am hoping to start on the really fun stuff soon. Keep checkin' in.

try just doing a "brushed" finish. It can be acomplished by using 100 or 80 grit sand paper and sanding one direction until you get the finish you want. then clear it. [P

Ironically, that is how I started the current design. Maybe I should have stopped at that point. :) I'll give it a try. I have a couple of other ideas too. One is plastering the panel with speed stickers then clearing it. I come from a bmx/street thrash back ground and we used to sticker everything. I still like that look. Thanks for the input and I'll post some attempts.

I threw the door panels on and started cutting and adjusting the interior trim pieces to fit the chop. Very tedious, not that the whole build hasn't been. Seeing the door panels on there kinda makes me miss the patina! Oh well, too late now. ;)

Attachments

• GMC 297.jpg
    GMC 297.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 96
  • GMC 298.jpg
    GMC 298.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 86
  • GMC 299.jpg
    GMC 299.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 95
  • GMC 300.jpg
    GMC 300.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 91
  • GMC 295.jpg
    GMC 295.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 117
Been chipping away at the small stuff lately.

I finished chopping the interior door trim...not too difficult, just time consuming. It was about the same as chopping the doors themselves. Take a little from here, add it to there, but it's too tall so section it a little and so on. I tossed the big old flat-head interior screws and replaced them with smaller hex, button-head screws which I think look way better.

I've also been workin' on chopping the door window frames. Again, not too tough, just really time consuming. I am determined to have properly working side windows so it's worth the work. It's kinda funny; since the truck is chopped it only takes two revolutions on the window crank to completely roll the window up or down.

I scored a set of slightly used air bags from a friend and I have an idea for mounting the fronts while keeping them hidden, so watch for that.

I also scored a set of pro comp headers that I really like but unfortunately they are 9" too narrow to clear the cab. I may rework them to fit or just make my own from scratch.

Thanks for lookin'. More soon.

Attachments

• GMC 303.jpg
    GMC 303.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 87
  • GMC 304.jpg
    GMC 304.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 79
  • GMC 304A.jpg
    GMC 304A.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 79
  • GMC 304B.jpg
    GMC 304B.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 78
  • GMC 304C.jpg
    GMC 304C.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 89
  • GMC 307.jpg
    GMC 307.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 102
  • GMC 308.jpg
    GMC 308.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 95
  • GMC 310.jpg
    GMC 310.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 79
  • GMC 309.jpg
    GMC 309.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 81
  • GMC 305.jpg
    GMC 305.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 87
I'll bet you thought I fell off of the planet!

I know it's been a while. Unfortunately, I haven't hit the Lotto yet so I've been forced to keep working for my hot rod money! Anywho, I've been chipping away at a few little things so I have some progress to report. I finished chopping both side window frames. They fit pretty well and roll up and down so that's cool. I mulled-over my gauge panel for a while then decided it might look cool if I perfed it so I laid out a 1/2" grid then drilled 133 holes in it. It looks better in person but I think I'll sand it a little to tone it down then call it done for now. I decided not to rework the super comp headers so I sold them for a decent profit. They now live in a very bad-ass tube-chassis '56 Chevy two door. I pulled the 71 year old blocks of oak out from the flex joints (?) in the floor and replaced them with some tees I made out of 1" tubing, in preparation for the latest sheet metal project.

Attachments

• GMC 309.jpg
    GMC 309.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 97
  • GMC 310.jpg
    GMC 310.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 95
  • GMC 313.jpg
    GMC 313.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 96
  • GMC 327.jpg
    GMC 327.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 92
  • GMC 328.jpg
    GMC 328.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 95
  • GMC 329.jpg
    GMC 329.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 101
  • GMC 332.jpg
    GMC 332.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 117
More on the floor...

Since the floor is in such good shape, I decided to work with it rather than rip it out and start from scratch. I blocked up the cab at its aired out height then mocked-up the engine and bellhousing, took a lot of measurements, stared at the whole thing for a while, took more measurements and then came up with the dimensions for a trans tunnel. I removed the seat riser with an air chisel and cut the center of the floor and rear cab wall out accordingly. Using a sheet of 16 gauge steel, I laid out the bends and beads. I rolled some shallow beads and flanged the front so I can overlap the trans cover/floorboard. I also drilled and tapped some holes in the flange to anchor the trans cover to the tunnel. After some bending, hammering and shaping, I fit and welded (gotta finish welding tomorrow) it in. More soon I hope. Thanks for lookin'!

Attachments

• GMC 324.jpg
    GMC 324.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 96
  • GMC 339.jpg
    GMC 339.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 100
  • GMC 338.jpg
    GMC 338.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 112
  • GMC 337.jpg
    GMC 337.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 98
  • GMC 333.jpg
    GMC 333.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 97
  • GMC 323.jpg
    GMC 323.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 98
  • GMC 320.jpg
    GMC 320.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 88
  • GMC 336.jpg
    GMC 336.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 103
Killer build bro!! I am doin a 42 chevy with a 7" chop yours looks better than mine as I have never done a chop before but I think it's still coming out pretty good. The door tops SUCK!!!!!!

Attachments

• 198032_1832510484897_1004436880_2120070_281895_n.jpg
    198032_1832510484897_1004436880_2120070_281895_n.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 65
Great work on the tunnel. Looks pro.

Thanks Sam. I have to give credit to my wife for crankin' the bead roller while I fed the sheet metal and yelled orders!

Killer build bro!! I am doin a 42 chevy with a 7" chop yours looks better than mine as I have never done a chop before but I think it's still coming out pretty good. The door tops SUCK!!!!!!

Thanks LD. This was my second chop. The first one was a 1940 truck too. I probably should have cut my teeth on something a little easier but, what the hell. Have you chopped your side window frames yet? Man, that was straight forward but way tedious.

Thanks Sam. I have to give credit to my wife for crankin' the bead roller while I fed the sheet metal and yelled orders!

Thanks LD. This was my second chop. The first one was a 1940 truck too. I probably should have cut my teeth on something a little easier but, what the hell. Have you chopped your side window frames yet? Man, that was straight forward but way tedious.

No I haven't done those yet been finishing up lil things on the frame so I can get it off to the powder coater

Update to the update

No I haven't done those yet been finishing up lil things on the frame so I can get it off to the powder coater

Man, I can't wait to get after my chassis. Soon I hope. You're truck's lookin' good man, keep after it.

Finished welding in the tunnel and primed the rest of the interior today. I've been waiting to remove the 1"x1" interior bracing until I had the floor figured out so yesterday, after I had the tunnel mostly welded in, I removed the bracing for the first time in eight months. Finally!

Attachments

• GMC 340.jpg
    GMC 340.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 110
Well, I was hoping that the 16 gauge tunnel would be stiff enough to support the center of the floor but it wasn't. It didn't flex too bad but I do weigh 230 pounds so I thought it would be wise to add a little support to it. So, using 1"x1" left over from the interior bracing, I welded in a little cross member that supports the front of the floor and ties it into both outside rails. Simple enough and it added a ton of support. Baby steps forward!

Attachments

• GMC 341.jpg
    GMC 341.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 129
  • GMC 342.jpg
    GMC 342.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 138
  • GMC 343.jpg
    GMC 343.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 140
  • GMC 345.jpg
    GMC 345.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 125
Ordinarily I would rather have had the bed media blasted before I started cutting on it but I got antsy on Sunday and started anyway. After fighting welds and rusted bolts for a while (and in the pouring rain no less) I finally got one side loose. I initially thought a 4' bed would be right but after mocking it up I decided it was too long. After trying different lengths I enlisted my wife for her opinion. Don't let the fact that she married me fool ya, she's actually very intelligent. :) We both agreed that 3'9" long and 7" higher were the magic numbers. So, I cut 34" out of the bedside and welded the halves together. Gotta get the other side to match now. Thanks for lookin', more later.

Attachments

• GMC 349.jpg
    GMC 349.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 100
  • GMC 352.jpg
    GMC 352.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 161
  • GMC 351.jpg
    GMC 351.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 108
  • GMC 347.jpg
    GMC 347.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 109
Just went through the whole post from the start, makes the chop seem so much quicker than it really is when all you have to do is click. Cab looks great! I like the gauge insert with the holes drilled in it also. The cab and box together is also a great match, I have to agree with your wife on the dimensions.

Not sure what your plans are for the bottom of your bed but If you plan on skirting it, A 6" perlin works real well for this and puts the bed about the right height. Heres how I did mine

Attachments

• GMC%20352.jpg
    GMC%20352.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 113
  • bed1.jpg
    bed1.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 132
  • bed.jpg
    bed.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 128
  • 2011-04-12 16.02.41.jpg
    2011-04-12 16.02.41.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 197
Just went through the whole post from the start, makes the chop seem so much quicker than it really is when all you have to do is click. Cab looks great! I like the gauge insert with the holes drilled in it also. The cab and box together is also a great match, I have to agree with your wife on the dimensions.

Thanks for the compliments Sulzst. Yeah, chops look pretty easy online. That's how we all get suckered into doing it! :) It's worth the work though. I am glad you like the gauge panel too. I am happy with it but I may change it a little... I can't leave anything alone!

Not sure what your plans are for the bottom of your bed but If you plan on skirting it, A 6" perlin works real well for this and puts the bed about the right height. Heres how I did mine

I do plan on adding a skirt around the bottom. Thanks for the tip.

looking good man.. I still plan on doing a little skirting to the bottom of my bed ... I have an interesting idea on how to do it.. just need to find the time to do it!

your tires look a little too skinny in my opinion..I think I would get some wider tires for back there.. haha

looking good man.. I still plan on doing a little skirting to the bottom of my bed ... I have an interesting idea on how to do it.. just need to find the time to do it!

your tires look a little too skinny in my opinion..I think I would get some wider tires for back there.. haha

Thanks Corpo. I call those my Maytag wheels because I cut them out of an appliance box. I think you're right though, I may have to switch to somethin' a little wider at least. You gonna give us a hint as to how you're gonna skirt your bed? I promise I won't steal the idea.;)

Second verse same as the first!

So after a second round of cutting, prying and so on, I got the second side (driver) and the front of the bed off. As with the passenger side, I cut 34" out of it and welded the remaining pieces together leaving a 3'9" bedside. Next is media blasting, bumping dents and more bodywork.[;)

Attachments

• GMC 353.jpg
    GMC 353.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 60
  • GMC 354.jpg
    GMC 354.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 59
  • GMC 355.jpg
    GMC 355.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 78
  • GMC 357.jpg
    GMC 357.jpg