The 40G

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you so much guys, I appreciate it. Yeah, it's fun to pretend. One of these days she'll be a runner! I'll have some build pictures up soon I hope.

Well, a little progress to report. I finally got around to finishing the kick panels. I cleaned 'em up, spread a little mud on them to smooth them out and primed 'em. One step closer to the cab being one color!

The original kick panels have a lump stamped into them which starts the lower trim line. Since I didn't have a way (I have since thought of a way, of course!) to stamp a duplicate lump into the new patch panels, I left them flat. Originally I made a matching lump out of sheet metal and was going to cut and weld it into the patch panel. But, after looking at it I thought it wasn't worth the work since I think the kick panels look better without it. So, since the rocker carried that trim line into the kick panels they were now too wide so I pinched them in a little. Now the rocker sweeps in gradually to meet the same profile as the new kick panels. I think they look pretty good.:) More soon.

Attachments

• GMC 248.jpg
    GMC 248.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 96
  • GMC 249.jpg
    GMC 249.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 89
  • GMC 250.jpg
    GMC 250.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 98
  • GMC 251.jpg
    GMC 251.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 85
  • GMC 252.jpg
    GMC 252.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 87
  • GMC 253.jpg
    GMC 253.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 83
  • GMC 254.jpg
    GMC 254.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 88
  • GMC 247.jpg
    GMC 247.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 98
Any progress is GOOD progress ... big or small.

I'm with you on leaving the hump out - it does look better.

Ratty 46

Any progress is GOOD progress ... big or small.

I'm with you on leaving the hump out - it does look better.

Ratty 46

Thanks Ratty. I agree, any progress is still progress!

And speaking of progress, I have a little more to report. After tons of work, I finished all of the body work on the cab last week and it is finally one color! It's great to look at it and see it finished. Pretty big milestone. Along with that, I finished the passenger door which was the better of the two so it wasn't too much work but it sure is nice to get it done too. I started the driver's door yesterday. The bottom was rusted through so I had to cut it out and weld in a patch that I made. I had used up my sheet metal but I had a pair of step side fenders laying around that no one would buy so I cut a patch panel out of one of them. I cleaned it up in my blasting cabinet, rolled the edges on a box and pan brake and popped it on the door. After about a million spot welds it's ready for a skim coat of mud to smooth it out. Thanks for takin' a look. More soon.

Attachments

• GMC 260.jpg
    GMC 260.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 119
  • GMC 262.jpg
    GMC 262.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 94
  • GMC 265.jpg
    GMC 265.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 95
  • GMC 266.jpg
    GMC 266.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 85
  • GMC 271.jpg
    GMC 271.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 92
  • GMC 270.jpg
    GMC 270.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 83
  • GMC 273.jpg
    GMC 273.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 84
  • GMC 272.jpg
    GMC 272.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 88
  • GMC 268.jpg
    GMC 268.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 95
  • GMC 267.jpg
    GMC 267.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 104
Thanks for the compliments guys, I appreciate it. I am glad this thread is still entertaining.

This may sound a little morbid, but do you ever wonder what is gonna kill you? It's a crazy world, could be anything. Ninjas, locusts, a jealous husband, drunken clown attack and so on. Well, up until a few days ago I thought it was gonna be the damn driver's door off of my '40 GMC that was gonna kill me! I cut out and patched the lower outside skin (as I showed earlier) and that went well. But, fixing a few more rust holes and a little stretched metal turned into a cutting, welding, hammering free-for-all of which I eventually lost! I couldn't get the door to shape up so I ended up skinning about 2/3 of it. After a few more hours of muding, sanding and so on, it's finally done. In the end however, the door did claim a victim. Gentleman, please remove your hats out of respect. My trusty 12 or so year old Craftsman compressor died. I haven't torn into it yet but judging by the symptoms, it's time to replace it.

Stay tuned. Next on the list is rims, tires, chassis and so on. Gonna get fun![cl

Attachments

• GMC 278.jpg
    GMC 278.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 79
  • GMC 279.jpg
    GMC 279.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 78
  • GMC 282.jpg
    GMC 282.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 68
  • GMC 283.jpg
    GMC 283.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 79
  • GMC 286.jpg
    GMC 286.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 81
  • GMC 287.jpg
    GMC 287.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Thank you for the compliments guys. I am glad you guys are diggin' my build.

A tiny bit of progress to report. I got my dash and wiper motor cover (upper dash?) media blasted yesterday, then I did a little bit of bodywork around the areas that I welded up and primed them. I bolted them in to get an idea of how the windshield opening is going to look from the interior. I like it! It looks nice and chopped![ddev I am still debating on my wheels so as soon as I make up my mind I'll get after a chassis.

Also, I tore into my wounded compressor and found and fixed the problem so I am back in action! I might just bob the bed this weekend. You never know?

Attachments

• GMC 289.jpg
    GMC 289.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 77
  • GMC 290.jpg
    GMC 290.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 72
  • GMC 291.jpg
    GMC 291.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 92
  • GMC 292.jpg
    GMC 292.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 101
that lookin out the windshield view is sick..love it

Thanks Tim. It 's a 6 1/2" opening.:) Here's a funny story. My equilibrium is overly sensitive sometimes. The first two times I sat in the truck after I chopped it I got nauseous. I thought, oh man, I am screwed! I am used to it now, thankfully.

I have a question for you guys. What do you think of the gauge plate I made. I am kinda walking the fence on it. I think it will look good with the gauges in it but ...?

Last edited:
Thanks Tim. It 's a 6 1/2" opening.:) Here's a funny story. My equilibrium is overly sensitive sometimes. The first two times I sat in the truck after I chopped it I got nauseous. I thought, oh man, I am screwed! I am used to it now, thankfully.

I have a question for you guys. What do you think of the gauge plate I made. I am kinda walking the fence on it. I think it will look good with the gauges in it but ...?

What is the alternative to the gauge plate?

What is the alternative to the gauge plate?

I've seen a couple of dash inserts that are way too billet and way too far from the look I am after. I like the plate but not sure if I like my ghetto engine turning which admittedly doesn't look much like real engine turning. I have a couple of ideas that I may try out. Eventually it's going to hold two 3 3/8" gauges.

Latest posts

Back