American Retro

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Z.Z.Rat

This is on the heels of Trippers thread of the new vette introduced this past weekend. Thought it would be interesting to see what you think about the other retro's that have been reintroduced to the american muscle scene.

Here's the ones that come to mind, (help me out here if I'm wrong on these yrs) Dodge Charger 70'/08'-13' , Ford Mustang 69' 70'/ 07'-13' , Ford T-Bird 57'/05'? , Ford GT 40 66'/ 06'07' , Dodge Challenger 70'/ 08'-13' , Chevy camaro 69'/ 12' -13'. Others?

Anyone own any of these cars? What do you think of them vs. the originals? Not really a fair question.

Forget the $$$ what one would you go out & buy tomorrow morning?

Sweet Dreams!!!

Generally, I think Ford did a pretty good job with their retro cars. My Son had a 2003 Mach I and it was very reminisant of the first version, down to the shaker hood and houndstooth interior pattern. It also felt and ran like the ones I remembered.

GM, IMO, has missed the mark on all of theirs. The Camaros are not even close, and things like that HHR (or whatever it is called) were too much like PT Cruisers to me.

Dodge has also missed the mark on ones like the Charger, but the Challenger is a different story. Those are pretty cool and are styled really well.

The two seat Ford T Birds were a big disappointment to me. The grille looks like it belongs on a model car and there is none of the flavor of the first gen birds. They seem to be chick cars for the most part, a lot like the newest VW Beetles are.

So if I had to say any company got close to the flavor of the old ones, my vote would have to go to Ford. But if I had some money I would by a Challenger, and if I had a lot of money I would buy a Roush Mustang or a Shelby Mustang.

Don

The first Camaro concept I saw was better than all of 'em. Then they built... well you know. And what about that SSR truck thing? Looks like a clown twisted up some balloons. :D

The Mustang is nice and Ford did a good job replicating the car but my vote goes to the Challenger. (insert tire smoke here.)

Sorry guys, present company accepted ! :eek: We all have our opinions and it would be pretty boring if we all like the same cars. I think you could post that Edsels were ugly and some guys would come on and say they love them. :D

I have had cars that other people thought sucked, but I liked them and that was all that mattered.

Don

Generally, I think Ford did a pretty good job with their retro cars. My Son had a 2003 Mach I and it was very reminisant of the first version, down to the shaker hood and houndstooth interior pattern. It also felt and ran like the ones I remembered.

GM, IMO, has missed the mark on all of theirs. The Camaros are not even close, and things like that HHR (or whatever it is called) were too much like PT Cruisers to me.

Dodge has also missed the mark on ones like the Charger, but the Challenger is a different story. Those are pretty cool and are styled really well.

The two seat Ford T Birds were a big disappointment to me. The grille looks like it belongs on a model car and there is none of the flavor of the first gen birds. They seem to be chick cars for the most part, a lot like the newest VW Beetles are.

So if I had to say any company got close to the flavor of the old ones, my vote would have to go to Ford. But if I had some money I would by a Challenger, and if I had a lot of money I would buy a Roush Mustang or a Shelby Mustang.

Don
I agree with Don, except I have no desire to own the bloated Challenger.

So am I the only one that likes the new Camaro? One of my buddies in Toledo, well more of an aquaintance, has one. Pretty sweet, has the paddle shifters in it and crap. Let me be the first to say, that thing will haul the mail!! He won't let me drive (goes back to the aquaintance thing I think) but it wasn't a bad ride. I would own one if I had the cash.

A guy that I used to work with has a new Mustang 5.0, manual, Brembo (or Bimbo which ever you prefer) wheels, loaded. That car as sad as I am to say it would leave the Camaro in it's dust.

The Challenger is the only one I would't own. Looks nice, but from what I have seen and heard, it is a soggy dog.

I have always had a soft spot for the Mustang. had a 68'K.R.500 & a Boss 302 70'. Sure would like to have them back but they kept the farm going.

Ford did a fine job with the new generation. I think the limited production of the new 12'/13' Boss 302 would be one to get ahold of. hopefuly they come down in price some where I could have one in the garage. The LS model is 51K & some dealers are still setting on them. Almost priced out of the market.

I've driven all the current generation pony/muscle cars listed (5.0 Stang, SS Camaro, SRT Challenger older 6.1L), and I'll put my 2c in, The mustang by far is the best all around drivers car, feel, look, interior, real head room and visibility. The Camaro has a great powerplant and brakes for the street, but thats where it ends (Unless I was to get a 1LE with no sun roof I would never consider this car)

Camaro head room is pathetic at best, and a sun visor of about 3.5" in height you understand how really close your head is to the ceiling at 6'0" tall.

The Challenger I feel has the best looks overall, but it does not fit in the pony car class, it is more of a muscle car and a bit on the large size.

I've driven all the current generation pony/muscle cars listed (5.0 Stang, SS Camaro, SRT Challenger older 6.1L), and I'll put my 2c in, The mustang by far is the best all around drivers car, feel, look, interior, real head room and visibility. The Camaro has a great powerplant and brakes for the street, but thats where it ends (Unless I was to get a 1LE with no sun roof I would never consider this car)

Camaro head room is pathetic at best, and a sun visor of about 3.5" in height you understand how really close your head is to the ceiling at 6'0" tall.

The Challenger I feel has the best looks overall, but it does not fit in the pony car class, it is more of a muscle car and a bit on the large size.

Magazine tests of all three showed about the same. The Dodge was a dismal third in every category and the Mustang won overall by a fair margin.
These are all a lot heavier cars than you'd think. The Dodge is like 4100 pounds, a real porker.

I liked the Pontiac kits they came out with for the Camaro. GM failed, but somebody else fixed it.
Phoenix-Trans-Ams1.jpg

With all the zombie films lately we could dig up Harley Earl and put him in a new suit...

I owned a 2010 5.7 6spd Challenger and it was a great car. I put heavy duty sway bars and a shock tower cross bar on and it handled great. It was extremely comfortable in the front, however you had to be a contorsionest to get in the back seat. Performance was dismal to say the least. Got rid of it and got a 2011 Ram crew cab and couldn't be happier. Pretty sure the Ram would beat the Challenger in a heads up race.:D

Im all about the SSR!!! I want one so bad I can taste it...Except that at 6'5, I dont fit. i love the challenger. Hate the camaro and the charger (which should never be a 4 door.) Despise the HHR and the PT cruiser. The Mustang is cool though. And the Dodge truck is a straight up remake of the 60's IHC. Which is why it is my favorite new vehicle.

"bloated Challenger"...............this is a perfect description. Looking at the new version leaves me wondering what is different from the originals. The new ones are taller from the ground to the bumpers or something. They look top heavy to me. Still cant put my finger on it, but bloated comes as close to how I feel as anything I've been able to figure out. I guess the lack of chrome bumpers on the new ones adds to my feeling that it is chunky looking. Dont get me wrong, I'd love to have one, just sayin'...

Attachments

• 2012_challenger_hp-bc33e0a54b265c2763793ef44ed60d24.jpg
    2012_challenger_hp-bc33e0a54b265c2763793ef44ed60d24.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 1
  • mopp_0201_04_z+1970_challenger_rt+backview.jpg
    mopp_0201_04_z+1970_challenger_rt+backview.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 2012_dodge_challenger_srt8  front .jpg
    2012_dodge_challenger_srt8 front .jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 1970_dodge_challenger_front.jpg
    1970_dodge_challenger_front.jpg