1926 Dodge Brothers

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the comments.

The packing was something we had left over from an old project, but it’s very similar to what you can get from most motor cycle shops.

Like the headers and baffles a lot. Good pics too. So they liked the cardboard mock up to work off of at the muffler shop?

Got the passenger header tacked up, incredible how long it takes to get each tube fitted. Hope to have it finished this week, just depends on my work schedule.

While I was doing that, my son bolted the steering wheel in and fixed a couple issues with the wiring. If we had our shifter done, we could’ve driven it, so a shifter is next on the list.

Did take it outside to clean it up and get some new pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0585s.jpg
    IMG_0585s.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0574s.jpg
    IMG_0574s.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0582s.jpg
    IMG_0582s.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0581s.jpg
    IMG_0581s.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0580s.jpg
    IMG_0580s.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0572s.jpg
    IMG_0572s.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0568s.jpg
    IMG_0568s.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0578s.jpg
    IMG_0578s.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0573s.jpg
    IMG_0573s.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0588s.jpg
    IMG_0588s.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 76
We still have a lot to do, but we couldn’t wait any longer to drive it. :D

The videos should be in order. The car started right up and drove down the driveway, but stalled at the end of the driveway. We ended up taking it back to the garage before we figured out that we failed to put the vacuum line back on the back of the carb when we put the PVC kit in. :eek:

Once we got that fixed it went on its first official run down the road. After a couple trips, we put the passenger seat in and both went for a ride. By the time we did this however, everything had warmed up and we soon found that our transmission was low on fluid. This is much more obvious in the videos than it was riding in the car. I must have been too consumed by the fact we were riding in it to have noticed. (My son was doing all the driving) Managed to get it back home, but when we did the water pump started leaking, so we parked it for the day.

All the videos are open header, the baffles were too restrictive. After we were done playing, we removed the insulation and just put the metal baffles back in. They seem to work great like that and still reduce the noise a lot. So that’s probably how we’ll be running those.

Still need to design and make a shifter, windshield, grill, air cleaner, etc. And now we can add a new water pump to the list. But at least it’s getting there, feels great having been able to actually drive it. [cl

http://youtu.be/UYPFmQO8oLI

http://youtu.be/Eg06Viw9XQ0

http://youtu.be/UX08L5IxkvU

http://youtu.be/4WfL9AuRSG4

http://youtu.be/IXLk2dVdi4A

http://youtu.be/_tX51NnwCLE

http://youtu.be/sw1DaDr0120

Sitting here watching my videos at lunch (having trouble concentrating on anything else) I realized that we had absolutely no bump steer and surprisingly didn’t bottom out going down the road. :D

Still have to get a compressor put on board to air the bag up with.

I’m really pleased with how smooth it traveled and drove.

Thanks man!
I had no plans to take it down the road Saturday, but sure I’m glad we did.

Still can’t believe we finally got to that point, far from finished, but it was quite the motivation builder.

I bet... I need some of that motivation

I bet... I need some of that motivation

I know it’s not the same motivation, but your build is my favorite on this site, just awesome.
I’m impressed with everything you’ve done from the fabrication right down to the metal cleaning and clear coat idea.
Keep at it, we all want to see it finished.

Very kool bro , i checked out the vids that thing is wikked , i want to put a 392 Hemi in mine in the future tho no hurry for that rite now.[P

Very kool bro , i checked out the vids that thing is wikked , i want to put a 392 Hemi in mine in the future tho no hurry for that rite now.[P

Thanks.
This is the first Hemi I’ve ever had and just wish I had gotten one 30+ years ago! I was a bit intimidated by it at first, but it turns out to be a very friendly motor to work with.
Hope you get your 392, it will be worth the wait :D

I have just found a headlight bucket and plan to put my gauges in them like you did.[;)
Yours Looks wicked cool.

Thanks.
I like the way the bucket worked out on ours; hope yours works as just as well.

Finding out that we can’t get parts for this Hemi! :mad:
We’re going to have to rebuild our water pump or lay out some cash for a conversion kit to put a Chevy pump on it.
Also, the fuel pump is leaking and same story there; no one has the old stock parts available.
I did find kits to rebuild both, so that’s the direction we’ll head in and see how it goes.

OK, I got a rebuild kit for the fuel pump and the water pump.

The fuel pump is good to go, no leaks or issues, but the water pump is a different story.

In the process of reassembling the pump, the vain broke (the casting with all the fins on it.)
We have some wire that’s good with casting so we tried to tig weld it back together. Hammered the weld to help spread it out, etc. etc. No matter how we tried, the casting would develop hair line cracks when it cooled.
So, I did some investigating and found a guy in California who had the same water pump. When I got the pump I greased it and made sure that it spun freely. We installed it Saturday and went for a short drive; water was sprayed all over the new windshield by the time we got home! :mad:

I’m going to find someone to rebuild this one for me, have a lead on a local shop that I’ll investigate soon.

What I’d like to know, are any of the big block Mopar pumps (the 4 bolt pattern pumps like on a 440) close to the same dimensions? [S

I’ve searched for dimensions off the web but have come up empty. So if anyone has a 440 or similar and can get some dimensions for me I would very much appreciate it.
I just want to know the bolt pattern and the pilot diameter on the mounting surface.

I’ll post this question in the proper place on the forums as well.

On the bright side, we did get the windshield installed Saturday and it looks great. :D
Also started to make some deflectors for the headers, they aren’t finished yet, but you can see how they’ll be.

Attachments

• IMAG0059s.jpg
    IMAG0059s.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMAG0057s.jpg
    IMAG0057s.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMAG0056s.jpg
    IMAG0056s.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMAG0054s.jpg
    IMAG0054s.jpg