I beam question / your thoughts...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

23crate

been offered an old ford I beam for free - with stubs and English ford zephyr disks aside from grabbing it with both hands and running,, which I will...

it goes like this,, some clown has welded up the perch bolt holes...

have considered re drilling so im able to use this axle,, thoughts about this im in two minds as im aware of possible failure as a result of welding weakening etc

thoughts anyone ?
thanks 'crate

been offered an old ford I beam for free - with stubs and English ford zephyr disks aside from grabbing it with both hands and running,, which I will...

it goes like this,, some clown has welded up the perch bolt holes...

have considered re drilling so im able to use this axle,, thoughts about this im in two minds as im aware of possible failure as a result of welding weakening etc

thoughts anyone ?
thanks 'crate

Henry used some pretty good steel, so I doubt it is hurt.

Whether or not he used 'good steel' doesn't matter. If the welding wasn't performed with a proper heat treatment (before and after), depending on the temperature and process used, it could work just fine but may be more susceptible to breakage. Especially as the perch bolts usually go straight through top to bottom, I wouldn't trust it.

If it is for free, grab it. It may only have had small washers welded over the holes or filled with weld. You won't know until you dig into it. Once you do post up some pics so we can see it. It may only be good to use as a mock up axle or a piece of garage art.

Whether or not he used 'good steel' doesn't matter. If the welding wasn't performed with a proper heat treatment (before and after), depending on the temperature and process used, it could work just fine but may be more susceptible to breakage. Especially as the perch bolts usually go straight through top to bottom, I wouldn't trust it.

You could always heat treat it after you drill out the holes.
Really, it's no different than guys using a parallel spring axle and welding perches on it for a transverse spring. It's doubtful the entire hole was welded up, probably just a plug welded in the holes. Drill it out, and have it magnafluxed if you think it might be cracked due to the welding.

thanks guys... you've all reflected my own thoughts... worth a grab , possibly a little dubious, some good will come of it ... will post a couple pictures when I drag it home next weekend ....

You could always heat treat it after you drill out the holes.
Really, it's no different than guys using a parallel spring axle and welding perches on it for a transverse spring. It's doubtful the entire hole was welded up, probably just a plug welded in the holes. Drill it out, and have it magnafluxed if you think it might be cracked due to the welding.

It's very possible that there could be no cracks yet the axle could be brittle. You're right, it could be heat treated now. I have heard horror stories of axles twisting though. However, it's worth some investigation.

Take it, heat treat it and cool it properly then have it magnafluxed for cracks. It should be fine and can be straightened if it warps a little. I've seen people do way worse to axles when heat and they drop them

a little worse than i thought...

still good for mocking up / planning ..

shame is , initially looks like a perch bolt had snapped.. it could've been saved.. a 48 incher just what I was looking for too

.. ill get rid of the extra crap on it, its a good start point.

still very grateful for it . may also generate a little more income. my buddies 38 (who I got the axle off) needs a little body work ..

Attachments

• DSC_0164[1].jpg
    DSC_0164[1].jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC_0165[1].jpg
    DSC_0165[1].jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 28

Latest posts

Back