What Did Ya Get Done This Weekend?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took my oldest son, daughter in law and the grandbabies

to the MONSTER JAM at Ford Field on Saturday.....got pit passes and the kids were excited...
Then to the Motor city swap meet on Sunday with the younger son....not a darned thing on the v-hicles....but had fun anyway.....:D

Saturday I found a 70 MGB GT gas tank. It fit perfectly between the frame rails behind the rear end in my 38. Finally, another problem solved on the cheap. I even got the gauge to go with it. Sunday I went to a swap meet and wore my feet out. Found a few little trinkets. Best was a couple restoreable OR plates. 1938 & 1939. That will take care of the next two projects.

Weekend kinda' started Thursday evening. Scored two 41 Chevy PU hoods. Free! Got a call Friday morning from a guy that got there second. Wants to buy one. I cut him a good deal. We'll see if he goes for it.

Today I picked up some 10x15, & 8.5x15 5/4.5 slots. And then the gentleman asked me if I needed a radiator. New Champion 4-core. It was damaged at the shop and replaced. Two little pin holes welded up. He is $250 richer, and I have wheels and a radiator for the altered. All in all, a good haul.

Sold the "spare" 235/3 spd (made a little), sold the '56 cab and doors (made a little more!), did some needed de-cluttering and tidying, and met earthman and 8literbeater! What great guys, and what a great weekend all around! And tomorrow (Sunday) there are 5 guys coming over for various reasons, all involving car guy FUN !!! :D

I changed the engine on my splitter and then split 3-4 ricks of wood. Not exactly a exciting day.

Built a woody cab and bed for my 53 chevy 3/4t chassis. I'll be using a 250 6 cyl and 350Tbh for motivation. I know it's not a rat rod, but it's cheap fun for me. Will post pics later..

After I finally got the alternator on my Ranchero replaced (the auto repair from hell), I noticed the battery wasn't charging. I thought how can this be & figured maybe the voltage regulator was faulty... but after checking... the wiring connector had just come loose! Plugged it back & bingo... works perfectly now. What a relief after fighting it every step of the way for 3 weeks!!! :mad:

BoB

MAJOR decision and accomplishment

Will update the other thread on this, but earthman and 8literbeater came by today, along with some other friends, and we all agree that the '88 Suburban has served its purpose, and its heart will live on in an older vehicle as a donor.

So we did the old rip and tear and got the front end off. This:

P7240217_zpsghz5lvg5.jpg

Will go in here:

P7240218_zpssjpmfb90.jpg

Which is the barren engine bay of THIS:

P7170207_zpsa330ddf2.jpg

Thanks for the help and encouragement, guys !!! AWESOME weekend. [cl

hey that will be a quick engine swap.. if you cant get the (frame) engine mounts loose just buy new ones they are about $8 each ,,, then make a plate to bolt them to and weld that to your frame and you will be on the down hill slide then... good luck ...

You betchya!

hey that will be a quick engine swap.. if you cant get the (frame) engine mounts loose just buy new ones they are about $8 each ,,, then make a plate to bolt them to and weld that to your frame and you will be on the down hill slide then... good luck ...

There are bolt holes to use front mount type, so either get those or build a solid plate (suggested by 8literbeater and e-man). Might just go that way instead of trying to fab brackets for the usual side mounts because the steering box might be in the way.

Glad that it will be "easy," and hope to be on the road soon!!! Still things to sort out, of course, but making progress like this is VERY satisfying! And again, thanks to the guys for help and guidance. [cl :D [cl

Awesome story guys! Heck if we keep getting -5*f and feet of snow I might come out and help! [cl

hey that may work too ...

I believe Jess's words were, "Don't worry, it'll be easy." I'm all for that!

Awesome story guys! Heck if we keep getting -5*f and feet of snow I might come out and help! [cl

The more the merrier! It was absolutely awesome to have that kind of help and knowledge around. We got a lot done! I'll be cleaning up the Pontiac this week, and disconnecting the engine and trans and might even get it out and ready to place in its new home! And oh, by the way, it will be sunny and in the 70s all week! :)

Good Karma coming to you guys for helping out!

You got that right !!! New friends and good comrades in rust! And they know that if they ever need a hand with something, I'm just a phone call away! :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back