Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Throwback Thursday!

Throwback Thursday! Ok it's Throwback Thursday... let's see your phto from the past!

Old 03-26-2020, 02:48 PM
Still crazy after all these years!

A few more. Plus one little roadster. The kid with the baseball cap sitting behind the roadster is my son, and he is now 50 years old.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Anglias 009.jpg (69.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Anglias 010.jpg (86.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Anglias 011.jpg (86.4 KB, 38 views)
Old 03-26-2020, 06:30 PM
Rocket Surgeon

I'll bet the Hondaroadster was surrounded by kids all day.

Thanks for all the Anglias, too. This has been my desktop photo for years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1948-anglia-gasser.jpg (148.3 KB, 17 views)

1937 Chevy Coupe
1938 Chevy Sedan

Photo Posting and Resizing
Old 04-09-2020, 12:48 PM

Yes, Dr. C, I've always liked little, fast cars. Anglias in particular. I might make mine nice, like your desktop photo, someday.

I've reached the end of the old pics. This is the last one. During my VW period I had some left over parts. Also had some 1" square tubing and sheet metal. Combine that with severely limited skills and I came up with this (ahem) dune buggy.

The night I got it running my wife's cousin and her husband were over. He and I jumped in it and drove it around the neighborhood. He bought it right then and there. Around midnight he hopped in and headed for Minneapolis

A little back story: My wife's cousin's husband was going to the U of Minn. pre-med. on a stipend from a county in Iowa. No one knew he was spending all the money racing around buying cars and storing them in rented garages in sketchy neighborhoods. The reason he was racing around and never sleeping was because the rest of the stipend was spent on speed. The pharmacutical kind.

As a result, he forgot where he stored the buggy. It was never seen again. Which is probably a good thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dune 001.jpg (65.9 KB, 24 views)
Old 04-09-2020, 03:13 PM
Rocket Surgeon

Another good story, Bob.

How did Mr Speed turn out? Dead with a needle in his arm? I hope not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd3oqvnDKQk

I'll tell a story if you don't mind...

A friend's father (Skip) built a similar VW buggy contraption with some help from my father. If you knew the two them, you'd already be cringing... anyhow, they made several "improvements" over the course of a couple years, until the day Skip pushed it a little too far...

He launched it faster and flew higher than ever before and it landed hard, pancake flat. It broke a few things, most notably the seat and his back. Mrs Skip went ballistic and that was the end of that. When Skip could walk again, he and my father repaired the buggy and sold it to a friend of his.

Now this may sound corny, but I'm not making it up. Skip had three sons and I had a younger brother, for a total of five young boys less than three years apart in age. We chose to name it "The Black Widow" and the name stuck, which didn't help Mrs Skip's demeanor at all. In a strange twist of irony, the next owner actually died in an accident which had nothing to do with the buggy, but the name bothered us kids when we heard about it.

1937 Chevy Coupe
1938 Chevy Sedan

Old 04-09-2020, 09:40 PM

Mr. Speed spent many years paying back the money the Iowa county gave him. He quit the drugs, but is now battling lung cancer caused from lifelong smoking. He didn't go to medical school but did get a degree and was an instructor in a small college in Wisconsin.

He bought and sold a lot of hot rods through the years but couldn't turn a wrench.

Sounds like "The Black Widow" caused enough havoc.
Old 04-10-2020, 12:33 AM
Fascinated by rolling objects!

Tales of Yesteryear. I love these stories of real life and times. I try to forget my stories and i sleep better at night when i do.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:54 AM
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob w View Post
Mr. Speed spent many years paying back the money the Iowa county gave him. He quit the drugs, but is now battling lung cancer caused from lifelong smoking. He didn't go to medical school but did get a degree and was an instructor in a small college in Wisconsin.

He bought and sold a lot of hot rods through the years but couldn't turn a wrench.

Sounds like "The Black Widow" caused enough havoc.
Thanks for the rest of the Mr Speed story, I guess.

I'm sure we all know somebody who doesn't know which way to turn a screw. (A former coworker had several very nice cars, but couldn't do the simplest work on any of them.)

Skip retrieved "The Black Widow" from the actual widow, painted it red and sold it on her behalf. (The right thing to do, regardless.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthman View Post
Tales of Yesteryear. I love these stories of real life and times. I try to forget my stories and i sleep better at night when i do.
C'mon, how bad can it be?

1937 Chevy Coupe
1938 Chevy Sedan