1946 Ford Pickup aka "The Herford

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More pics up

Attachments

• DSC_0060.jpg
    DSC_0060.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC_0121.jpg
    DSC_0121.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 109
Outstanding work...got any more pics of how you did your seat? Is it out of something else? Great looking truck!!

Outstanding work...got any more pics of how you did your seat? Is it out of something else? Great looking truck!!

Sorry, I don't. It's the seat out of a 84 S10. I took it all appart so I could get down to the frame and then I just cut off the humps on the sides to make it narrow enough to fit inside the cab. With those humps on there the doors wouldn't close.

Great work. Love the detail. Nice air ride. You must be part rocket scientist to get all the lights on that dash panel not to flash. [cl

Ha.... don't be fooled.... almost all the lights are on, they just aren't blinking.... I have been reading up on them and it looks like the simple solution is to pull the cluster appart and remove the lights that illuminate the warnings. I think I will remove all of them if I can when the time comes... for now they don't bother me.

Ha.... don't be fooled.... almost all the lights are on, they just aren't blinking.... I have been reading up on them and it looks like the simple solution is to pull the cluster appart and remove the lights that illuminate the warnings. I think I will remove all of them if I can when the time comes... for now they don't bother me.

get HP Tuners and you can shut off most of them. makes it easy to tune everything as well. [P

LS swap outs

It'd be nice if someone would start a engine and wire swap thread on the LS stuff using the factory harness.
Very Nice on the truck Powerplant. [cl [cl [cl

Last edited:
It'd be nice if someone would start a engine and wire swap thread on the LS stuff using the factory harness.

funny you should say that, I have been planning on doing just that. Even asked Tripper where I should post it. Maybe after next week I will have time to actually do it now that I am down to only 3 jobs!!

The problem with LS swap wiring harnesses is they are all a little different depending on what year and model you are dealing with. I did a lot of reading before I started on mine. Basically all I did was figure out what I could delete and still have the engine run and the minimum body wiring to still work. I didn't use the ABS so I yanked the module and traced all the wires back and depined / removed them (this was a big chunk of the wiring removed). Didn't need air conditioning so I yanked all the related wiring both for the compressor and the controls in the cab. Air pump, rear 02 sensors, evap and other emissions stuff, body control module, door harnesses (another gob of wires gone).

I didn't think I would have any issues with VATS since I had the original ignition and key but I still needed to buy a $20 module to send the right signal to the computer for the engine to run. That's about the only issue I had with the swap.

Just Google LS forums... pick one and search under "race wiring" or "wiring diet". LS1 Tech is about the best website for this.

It took me some time to do it but it wan't really that hard, paying $$$$ for an aftermarket harness or paying someone to do it for you is kind of a waste if you have any electrical knowledge at all. The LS forums will tell you to use a F body harness over a truck harness just because they are layed out better. I used a F body harness and still ended up shortening and lengthening wires in some places.

I usually use truck harnesses as they are cheap. like the OP said most of the stuff is eliminated. With HP tuners you can shut off DTC codes and turn off the VATS. also you can start to fool around with fueling, timing etc. I strip the harness down bare, lay it out to where it all needs to go and shorten / lengthen wires as needed.

Now I'm excited been lookin for something like this [dr
Thanks jfg, lookin forward to that thread.
Thanks powerplant, didn't know how else to get this started and with what you said about each being a little different maybe in the electrical forum there could be a permanent topic and each it's own thread in the topic to make them easier to find (what you think Tripper?)
I'm done and apology for posting in the wrong area :eek:

Badass

This truck is badass! My first car was an 81 Datsun 280zx that I bought for $1300 bucks. Slapped a paint job on and spent a year dropping an LT1 into. (took me a year cause at the time I didn't know crap about engines. so I had to have my father's help). But that car was badass. Now seeing this truck makes me want to build something with an LS motor!!

get HP Tuners and you can shut off most of them. makes it easy to tune everything as well. [P

That costs like real money though....

Yea.. I've looked at HP tuners and they seem to be about the best for the money. Search under LS1 Edit and you will see a bunch of 4 letter words, apparantly this is stone age technology compared to HP.

Maybe someday down the road I'll get into programing, my next engine will be a 5.3 out of a truck and mess with a turbo setup... that will no doubt require something.

Kick ass build. My high school ride was a '46 p/u. I still miss that truck. My current project, due to xtra space, is a '46 ford cpe.

Great job.

Ratty 46

You deserve the props. I still look out for a '46 ford truck ... to this date. I'm sure one will X my path.

If I can ask ... are you a power gen worker?

Ratty 46

Latest posts

Back