1951 International L-110

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwaringa

Hey guys... I am new here and working on a project that is semi-rat rod. I enjoy the engineering part of working on my truck and figured you guys would find interest in my build thus far. I plan on setting up camp here for my build hopefully. Here is where I am so far:

Day 1: Had a kind of crappy attempt a restoration. Time to tear it down.

DSCN0188 by nwaringa, on Flickr

IMG_2209.JPG by nwaringa, on Flickr

DSCN0193 by nwaringa, on Flickr

Old frame: Had a bunch of surface rust etc... but held up well.

DSCN1588 by nwaringa, on Flickr

DSCN1743 by nwaringa, on Flickr

DSCN1789 by nwaringa, on Flickr

Old Engine: It ran strong but only produced 100 hp with a 4.10 gear ratio. It had to go. Swapped for a 350 mated to a 700r4.

IMG_2200.JPG by nwaringa, on Flickr

DSCN2914 by nwaringa, on Flickr

DSCN2994 by nwaringa, on Flickr

Last edited:
Old braking system: It had a single reservoir system leading to 4 drum brakes on straight axles. I went with an 8 inch booster 2 chamber system mounted under the cab.

DSCN0302 by nwaringa, on Flickr

DSCN3157 by nwaringa, on Flickr

DSCN2903 by nwaringa, on Flickr

Suspension: The 4.10 rear was really holding it back. Unfortunately IH doesn't make gears for these old guys. The front axle was straight and had drum brakes. I first attempted a disc conversion but said screw it and went independent in the end. The rear is a Ford 8.8 out of an Explorer. It gives me 4 wheel disc and a locker.

DSCN0565 by nwaringa, on Flickr

DSCN2887 by nwaringa, on Flickr

100_0752 by nwaringa, on Flickr

Steering: The old steering shaft didn't fit. It was straight and inside the frame rails. I went with a setup from Limeworks with some u-joints. It hooks up to a power steering rack with the help of some custom hoses and a pressure reducer.

DSCN0567 by nwaringa, on Flickr

DSCN2335 by nwaringa, on Flickr

DSCN2989 by nwaringa, on Flickr

DSCN3286 by nwaringa, on Flickr

Gas tank: I decided to dump the old under cab one for one with a little more room. I mounted it out back. Working on the fuel neck currently.

DSCN3306 by nwaringa, on Flickr

DSCN3316 by nwaringa, on Flickr

Other stuff I worked out so far... 12 wiring conversion (everything electrical is being converted to 12), Custom radiator mount, Stainless fuel and brake lines, Gas pedal installation, boxed frame, and a bunch of little stuff. You can view more pictures here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nwaringa/sets/72157622344974931/

That should do it for now... I'll update on specific projects in the build as I progress.

I did a bunch of stuff to accommodate this old guy. The front has adjustable coil overs and the rear has an axle over spring flip with new spring plates. I had to have a monster drive shaft made for it (84 inches) and am still working on some of the mechanicals (gas pedal and gas tank) before I start working on the body.

-Nick

I suppose I should mention that some of this stuff people bitch about (IFS, plain jane 350 etc...) but I don't much care. This truck is being built to drive the doors off of. I plan on using it as a DD for much of the time so I wanted it to be as reliable as possible and still be within my skill set to fix. Eventually I would love to get more wild with stuff but stability is key on this build. This is of course the first truck I have ever built (and first major mechanical project).

You are doing a mighty fine job. And smart for understanding what your use is for the truck. I hope my Plymout truck turns out as nice as your Binder.

What are you using for rust removal?

I posted it over in the Tech. section its a product called Evaporust sold at Harbor Freight. Unfortunately the stuff ain't cheap but it works damn good and can be re-used for awhile (until it turns black).

Good looking truck already. And we get into rust removal etc. too. What did you use? I like the mouth and bar on the 54 front better, but like the headlight indents and outer shape on the other. Not a big fan of the upright grill teeth. Just my.02$

You are doing a very nice job,looks more like show quality then Rat Rod. Should be a great daily driver. I am using the evapo rust also,sofar just on small parts,because it is $10 a quart,so filling up a bigger container would cost a bit. Does work good tho.

Shows aren't for me... I am more of the type of guy that would drive it to the show and leave it in the lot outside than drive it in. You can get that rust removal stuff in like 50 gallon buckets a little cheaper. I bit the bullet and did it because I'd rather not go back and address undercarriage stuff for awhile.

I am really torn on the grills Sam. I read in an old International book that they designed the vertical grill to emulate a mustache and that it was very controversial when it came out.... still is to me.

Shows aren't for me... I am more of the type of guy that would drive it to the show and leave it in the lot outside than drive it in. You can get that rust removal stuff in like 50 gallon buckets a little cheaper. I bit the bullet and did it because I'd rather not go back and address undercarriage stuff for awhile.

I am really torn on the grills Sam. I read in an old International book that they designed the vertical grill to emulate a mustache and that it was very controversial when it came out.... still is to me.

NICE BUILD!! Lookin great!
I think i like the 54 grill slot better! I think it has more style. The 50's grill seems to be just a boring stamped product with no thought into style at all.

So it looks like that rust removal prosuct works pretty good. How long does it need to soak the part before it comes out clean? Im sure you;ve seen my build and im trying to find an easy way to remove the rust off my cab. I found a guy at the last hot rod and custom show here in denver a few weeks ago that quoted me $400 to sand blast the cab. I though that was a pretty good deal, but if i can find a product that i can do it myself, id prefer that :)

I think I like the '51 grill better, but only w/o the chrome strips. Seems to have more character that way. If they chrome strips have to stay on if you go with the '51, I'd vote 54, even though it's more common.
-Chaz

Old braking system: It had a single reservoir system leading to 4 drum brakes on straight axles. I went with an 8 inch booster 2 chamber system mounted under the cab.

DSCN0302 by nwaringa, on Flickr

DSCN3157 by nwaringa, on Flickr

DSCN2903 by nwaringa, on Flickr

Suspension: The 4.10 rear was really holding it back. Unfortunately IH doesn't make gears for these old guys. The front axle was straight and had drum brakes. I first attempted a disc conversion but said screw it and went independent in the end. The rear is a Ford 8.8 out of an Explorer. It gives me 4 wheel disc and a locker.

DSCN0565 by nwaringa, on Flickr

DSCN2887 by nwaringa, on Flickr

100_0752 by nwaringa, on Flickr

Steering: The old steering shaft didn't fit. It was straight and inside the frame rails. I went with a setup from Limeworks with some u-joints. It hooks up to a power steering rack with the help of some custom hoses and a pressure reducer.

DSCN0567 by nwaringa, on Flickr

DSCN2335 by nwaringa, on Flickr

DSCN2989 by nwaringa, on Flickr

DSCN3286 by nwaringa, on Flickr

Hey, i was wondering about your motor swap. Did you make your own motor mounts?

Man id go with the orange grill looks cool!!!!!

Nice!

I like your build. Great work! No worries about the front suspension setup or the 350. I think most folks here will agree that you build it the way you like. People normally will only give input when asked. And on that note...I like the 51' grill...more character.

Front end

Is your front end setup from a kit? I have been looking at mustang II set ups made for 53-56 f100's to adapt to my l110.

Latest posts

Back