building one to smash!?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

38fordtruck

here it goes this old 73 lincoln has been in my familly for years its was looking pretty sad and trans was slipin so i considered hauling off for scrap but i deiced to give to my brother so he could derby it but later he talked me into derbing the poor gal because he dont have much time to build derby cars anymore but has lots of parts for me to use so anyway i ended up hauling it back to my house and i started striping her down

091711151158.jpg

091711151214.jpg

091711151230.jpg

091911200513.jpg

out with the 460 will be swaped for a 350sbc and a pontiac trans with just 8 derbies under its belt:eek: my buddy brian ran one through 11 derbies before it spun a rod:)
092511161205.jpg

all was going well untill i started re,ving the dashboard then i cut my hand open on the lip of it 5 stiches and i was good as new lol
100211082933.jpg

after 8 derbies on this motor my brother realized the block was cracked we didnt know how long it had been like that but that wasnt going to stop me from using this thing at 15 psi with my pressure tester thing i was only getting 2-3 drops every 5 seconds so a little jb weld and it was just fine :D

101711184707.jpg

thats i got for now mods if dont feel this thread belongs here then feel free to move it or delete it

102311141502.jpg

and heres some pics of a few of my bros previous cars notice that the same sbc was used in all of them lol

167992_190250720998609_100000410475504_627773_3073670_n.jpg

38621_144071352283213_100000410475504_330431_557896_n.jpg

Last edited:
I can't believe you're going to destroy such a good car! You should save it!!!

(Just kidding :p)

Maybe we need a Demo Derby / Figure 8 photo thread? :D

ruining good parts

usally the good parts dont get ruined the crew pulls the 9 inch rear ends out and the engines usally get re-used in other derby cars along with the cage and the tires

i think its a good way for old cars to get one last run before they hit the scrapers i would never derby a car that was worth saving

well i thought id update this the car getting very close after a couple steps back the first 350 ended up having a cracked cylinder wall wich caused a mayjor rod knock and it to spray water out the exhaust :mad: luckly i have a great friend who loaned me another one along with some giant cannon headers but this one has a flat cam :( so i deiced im going to jump it up a little with healthy cam and new lifters i just havent got them yet

heres how it sits as of now i still need to build a cage and finsh welding the doors and find something to use a fuel/tranny cooler box and some other things

Pinchelincoln.jpg

Pinchelincoln2.jpg

heres some misc pictures

Runner.jpg

heres my driveline one 4 foot peice of 2.5 1/4 wall square tube and a 4 foot peice of 2 inch 1/4 wall tube [ddd

103_1632.jpg

will you be runnin a radiater?
probally not the 460 radiator already has a hole on it but i will loop the hoses together deffiantly
That drive shaft is interesting...... [S first time I ever seen a square drive shaft on a car. Farm machinery yes, but never a car.....

square shafts like this are popular with rock crawlers because they are tough and cheap so i took thier idea lol my buddy has a fancy store bought derby driveshaft but for 650 i can build a whole mess of these lol

I wish those type cars were as easy to get around here.I would buy one to fix up.
You seem to have plenty of engines there too.
I have failed to find a reasonably priced sbc engine for my 27 project.
Everything that was around here, cars and engines,have been crushed.:mad:
I am building my last rod.Parts are just not available around this area to do it anymore.:(

well the blue block was junk too i put it all together had it running pretty good then devil had to start knocking in it :mad: so i pulled it out and removed the cam and new timing chain, i figured id have a good builder block for the trans am but i ran the casting and it turned out to be a 305 :mad: well i ended up buying 350 for 150 and this time pulled the oil pan and checked all the bearings everything looked good and a mayjor plus was its a 4 bolt main [ddd i put it back together with a good healtey cam my friend gave me and well heres a video :D

i smashed it up a little bit my first heat didnt go to well i made one solid hit and knocked the battery cable off so i became a sitting duck and got slamed hard in the passenger door the impact pushed the body of the car over about 3 inches and knocked the transmission dipstick tube off and busted the rag joint plus some other odds and ends we got it fixed for the grude match though i did pretty good in that untill i lost all my gears but forward lol i ended up getting pinned and i pulled my flag

heres some videos of the action

my first heat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEnfndJUBME&feature=BFa&list=HL1345092349

and the grudge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HWjWgno54A&feature=BFa&list=HL1345092349

the old lincoln aint finshed yet a little frame work on the rear and a diffrent steering collumn and se is ready to go again

Latest posts

Back