Heirloom Headache - 1928 Hupmobile Century 6

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chickenlegs

For me this project started in 06, though we had been acquainted for near as long as I can remember. As a kid I would play in this car. She would fuel my imagination with thoughts of tommy guns and bank robbery. As I grew older it became a place to stash my adult mags, as no one would every pay her much attention. She had become basically invisable in that garage with the dust laden cover and mounds of 'stuff' stacked around her like so many things collected under 'good intentions'. As a young adult I would sometimes pour oil in the spark plug holes thinking that maybe, just maybe that old engine could be massaged back to life. This car has her secrets, which holds my history, like the clock in the rear view mirror with my grandfathers initials, marking he was here. She had survived the scrap drive of WWII, eighty plus years of southern humidity, three generations my prior to find herself awaiting new life. I can only hope what skills these hands have will prove to be enough.
hup1ie1.jpg

hup6mv6.jpg

hup2ro1.jpg

25jedf6.jpg

And now 6 years of procrastinating with a years worth of part time work:

Wet sandblasting things:
hupp0167hg.jpg

I removed the wood from the doors and plan to replace it with steel.
Wood framing from the doors:
hup20640x480.jpg

Door skins sat in:
hup21640x480.jpg

Last edited:
I had to back up in an effort to go forward. Originally I was going to leave the top alone, but I decided to ignore my moral compass about cutting up this heirloom, and opted to make it more of what I wanted.
hup032640x480.jpg

After photochopping 4", I decided to go with a 2" chop, and left the rear window original.
hup033640x480.jpg

Subtle change, I think it should look nice.
hup037640x480.jpg

I wanted to use a 300 six, 5spd, but after setting it in was just too large and took in too much of the firewall, leaving little room for three pedals, so I had to regroup.
rgw5ls.jpg

3531nyv.jpg

vo05u8.jpg

I installed a MustangII front (from Fatman). I had cut up two mustang II front ends from salvage yards but the width was too narrow, and I wasnt happy with the results. So I opted to throw some money at it versus pouring in the sweat equity. Sometimes its best just to suck it up.
16jjyvc.jpg

2i7lqht.jpg

rjhyt5.jpg

24b6zdd.jpg

fz9own.jpg

I bought a Buick Roadmaster. The LT1 powerplant and 4L60E tranmission were fitted in. I retained the fuel injection and rewired the computer for proper placement within the engine bay.
6zsuhz.jpg

2pocl7m.jpg

noss9t.jpg

Steering column was from an 89 Lincoln. It tilts at the wheel. I didnt want all the extra switches/controls as well as the column shift so after studying the column it seemed like a good idea to strip it down to bare basics. I removed the steering lock, ignition switch, column shift, and wiper controls. I now only have the turn signal switch, with high beam control and hazard button while also retaining the tilt of the wheel. The inner contol rod that links up to the steering linkage is tellescopic which makes adjusting to the right length easy to accomplish. I mounted the steering column much like the original, and kept the serial number badge in its original location.
2vxprgg.jpg

25hmnmr.jpg

I still have to build a dress ring for the rear of the column to hide the wire plug, but I think it will clean up nicely. Side view of the column:
alq9n8.jpg

Column tilted down:
3wk1g.jpg

Column tilted up:
of368j.jpg

I built the triangulated 4-link, and hung the 8.8 rear. I still have to cut out for drive shaft clearance on the cross member.
Initial set up. Pinion angle on 3 degrees up:
dort3n.jpg

kckqw8.jpg

10rpj55.jpg

30k535w.jpg

nxm5oi.jpg

I bought a Manex rear air from 'U yank it' which came out of a limo. I figured for $40 bucks the self contained heat and air was worth a shot. The size is a little more than I could stuff under the dash in its entirety so I decided to cut a hole thru the firewall and recess the double fan motor. It moves some air.
21kgww1.jpg

2502pok.jpg

m76fdc.jpg

I got it tucked under the dash pretty well. The car orginally had wood sill plates, which Ive redone in steel. I think I will duct a vent into the steel sill plate since its hollow, to channel heat and air to the rear of the car.
iop8pg.jpg

Built a cover.
1672eds.jpg

fond46.jpg

A/C compressor mounted too far outside. Hood bonnet wont clear without mods, so some different brackets are in order.
nzo8jo.jpg

Started off hangin the compress where I thought it should go, then I made some templates out of paper:
14mcnk.jpg

Some tracin, a little torch work and lots of grinding:
2utrjmh.jpg

Using some 1/2 sch. 40 pipe, I cut a few pieces and mounted them to the block using all-thread. The holes in the a/c, & alt. plates are large enough so the plates are adjustable as to set the correct spacing with aligning the belt.
6emanq.jpg

The belt tensioner wasnt working out well in the original position with the belts new angle, so I decided to move it to the driver side since I had more room to work with.
etczcy.jpg

vo35lz.jpg

Latest posts

Back