1933 Pontiac

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Iron

Well with the help of a RRR member, I was able to acquire my next project so, I want to share it with the rest of the RRR members.
First I want to thank Sneakysnake and say it was a real pleasure to meet you and Tim :cool:
I will start on this project without saying what direction I'm taking so, it will unfold as I go :p
This is the car, it's as the title says 1933 Pontiac more door

3_zps4194274d.jpg

12_zps319e1f58.jpg

11_zps87e2d604.jpg

She's in need of some structural metal replacement.
I've got a new mustang ll tubular front end with 2" dropped spindles, that I'll be putting in.
A Chassis Engineering rear leaf spring kit for it.
Power rack.
A 70 Bonneville 455 with a 700r4 tranny.
90 Trans Am rearend with 3.42 gears

Hey, glad to see you made it home in one piece.It was nice to meet you too. Hope you have fun building this to your liking.

build a custom straight 6 block out of aluminum to take a stock 400 Pontiac bore and a 235 chevy or 302 gmc crank and cam etc. but with a chevy/bop bellhousing and set up to fit 3 cylinders each from a set of edelbrock pontiac v8 heads.

Aw yeah.

I'd do it.

Another way I thought of (had this idea for a long time originally to big bore a slant six)
Machine the bores right out of a chevy block, spot face the bottom of the water jackets and drill them for head studs which would run completely through the water jacket down to the bottom of the block.
The deck surface would just be used to locate the top of the new sleeves and not have to take the load of the head studs
The sleeves which would have a wide flange at the top for the fire ring of the head gaskets to seal to not unlike a detroit diesel

And the heads could be sawed off flat just behind the 3rd cylinder and the exposed water jackets capped with some welded in plates

or you could just run with a 292

or a 302... they already have a 4" bore

I've been wanting a 302 for the collection. I missed out on a few during times i was broke and old farm trucks were getting scrapped

build a custom straight 6 block out of aluminum to take a stock 400 Pontiac bore and a 235 chevy or 302 gmc crank and cam etc. but with a chevy/bop bellhousing and set up to fit 3 cylinders each from a set of edelbrock pontiac v8 heads.

Aw yeah.

I'd do it.

Another way I thought of (had this idea for a long time originally to big bore a slant six)
Machine the bores right out of a chevy block, spot face the bottom of the water jackets and drill them for head studs which would run completely through the water jacket down to the bottom of the block.
The deck surface would just be used to locate the top of the new sleeves and not have to take the load of the head studs
The sleeves which would have a wide flange at the top for the fire ring of the head gaskets to seal to not unlike a detroit diesel

And the heads could be sawed off flat just behind the 3rd cylinder and the exposed water jackets capped with some welded in plates

or you could just run with a 292

or a 302... they already have a 4" bore

I've been wanting a 302 for the collection. I missed out on a few during times i was broke and old farm trucks were getting scrapped
[S :eek: [S :rolleyes: [S
Torchman, ya might want to draw that combo up, my imagination isn't that good :D

She's in need of some structural metal replacement.
I've got a new mustang ll tubular front end with 2" dropped spindles, that I'll be putting in.
A Chassis Engineering rear leaf spring kit for it.
Power rack.
A 70 Bonneville 455 with a 700r4 tranny.
90 Trans Am rearend with 3.42 gears

I think that's a great plan. I love that you're putting as much Pontiac stuff back in it as you can, it will make it a real unique ride, for sure! Of course, I'm partial to oddball motors in rare vehicles, and that you're planning on a 455 is awesome!

Sneaky, I can't say we made it quite in one piece :eek:
The first and only thing to go was, the metal roof that someone put on it :eek:
It took off and don't know where it landed [P All I know is, no one was behind us. Thank God.
Hind sight, I should have put a strap across the front part of the top but, I thought it was on there better.
It just saved me the time of removing it myself :cool:
I'll be putting a top off of a 62 Chevy wagon to fill the opening anyway.

I think that's a great plan. I love that you're putting as much Pontiac stuff back in it as you can, it will make it a real unique ride, for sure! Of course, I'm partial to oddball motors in rare vehicles, and that you're planning on a 455 is awesome!
I like keeping the components true to the make, most of the time, too.
I put a 73 455 in my 40 Pontiac and was concerned that I may only get 5 or 6 mpg but, when we took a road trip to Quincy Il, for the Tin Bender show, it got 17 mpg at 70 mph. It was only turning 1600 with the overdrive :cool:

Latest posts

Back