1/4 elliptical springs

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuckprev

New guy here. I have a 48 international that I picked up for $200 for my first rod build and I am planning it out. Naturally funds are light I am married and have a kid so you know no $$;) I really like the look of the 1/4 elliptical springs and want my front end done this way but, I am struggling, excuse me my wife is struggling, with paying $300 to $400 for a set from speedway or poises. I was wondering if anyone had a good link or know of a thread that would have a pretty good explination on how to build your own. I tried searching the suspension section but didn't find what I was looking for.

Thanks

Chuck

It is basically a pocket that the spring pack, when cut off a few inches past the center, slips into. Use the center tie bolt holes of the spring pack to bolt them into the pocket.

I've got this set.
I bought them from a guy for $100
They are new, never used, and I wont be using them.

$100 plus shipping and they are yours.:D

Attachments

• trac loc 047.jpg
    trac loc 047.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 91
  • trac loc 048.jpg
    trac loc 048.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 50
Thanks guys,

Maddog I will check with the accounting depart and hopefully get myself a early christmas present.

I went to the tractor supply and bought trailer springs for $26 each and cut them off. You can eliminate some of the leaves. I ended up cutting down some 46 Ford pickup fronts instead because I wanted a little longer wheelbase.

Home made

I cut down trailer springs,$8 each.
Used them on the front & back.

Attachments

• hp computer pictures 050.jpg
    hp computer pictures 050.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 114
  • hp computer pictures 106.jpg
    hp computer pictures 106.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 92
ouh506- What did you use to cut those springs with? would a chop saw do it? Im lookin to use the same type setup on the front of mine but i thought i might have to take them somewhere and pay somebody to cut em 4 me. Was there a special kind of drillbit you had to use to drill em with?

Chopsaw works fine, not sure on the drill, all the ones I made already had the center hole.
Also I re-arced the trailer springs to flatten them ut some. You can do that with a press. I read onece that you can also do it with a couple blocks and a cross peen hammer.

When I drilled the springs on my T to insert the teflon buttons I burned up 4 or 5 5/16 high speed drill bits. I could get about one hole out of a bit before it went dull. Then I went out and bought a Drill Doctor. :D

Don

I cut them with a 4 1/2" angle grinder with a thin cut off wheel. If you have access to a drill press that will go 100rpm or slower and use lots of cutting oil, you can get several holes out of a drill bit. I have noticed that some springs seem harder than others and cause the drill bit to dull much faster. I sharpen them by hand but they are never as good as the first time.

Slow rpm and lots of pressure to drill springs.

Many drill presses don't go slow enough.

Cheapo No Name imported drill bits won't stand much of a chance.

I was talkin to a buddy of mine that has a plasma cutter and he thinks he might be able to get a hole cut through a spring with that, at least a decent enough hole that you could run a drillbit through it and clean it up, and maybe keep from wearing out a few of those drill bits. Anybody ever tried that?

I was talkin to a buddy of mine that has a plasma cutter and he thinks he might be able to get a hole cut through a spring with that, at least a decent enough hole that you could run a drillbit through it and clean it up, and maybe keep from wearing out a few of those drill bits. Anybody ever tried that?

Should work okay, but the heat could take some of the temper out of the spring. Plasma would be far better than a torch.

Yep, my Jet drill press (a low price floor standing model) only goes down to 200rpm. I have good results at that rpm drilling holes through springs. I'll start with a 1/8" drill, then 3/8" and larger as needed when installing teflon slide discs.

50f3pu

It's been awhile that I've been on here.
I cut the springs with a "chop saw",no big deal.
I drilled the hole with a $200 16 speed Harbor Fright drill press.Slow speed/a lot of cuting oil.
I use to work in a fab shop(welder/fitter)and to drill hard meteral(T-1,AR -400,scanda) we heated the spot with a cutting torch keeping the heated area small,it made the job a lot easer.
Fred

Latest posts

Back