1925 Dodge Coupe a.k.a. "Big Dodge"

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2008_0428rust0001.jpg

I've been steadily working on the Dodge but lots of stuff isn't worth showing. Here's the homemade dash with some eBay gauges Leo bought.

2008_0429rust0001.jpg

Leo had bought some very nice black vinyl. In only a few aggravating hours it was spray glued on and nailed around the edges. Then Hide-em-Welt was nailed around the edge. It came out ok, but I'd rather be welding. If I was to do it over, I'd add a crossbow or use 22 ga sheetmetal. And, I'd use 1/4" thick foam.

2008_0517rust0012.jpg

Big Dodge runs! And, the $50 Craigslist 350 turbo seems to work, but so far the car has been run only on jackstands. I shortened the driveshaft based on advice from you RRR members. This is what it looks like from the front.

2008_0517rust0011.jpg

From the rear, the gas tank, sloppy wiring and the slightly frenched '48 Nash tail lights can be seen.

2008_0517rust0007.jpg

The 3/4" plywood floor is stained Brazilian Rosewood and has several coats of varnish on it. The seat risers are from a 60's Dodge van as are the ratty seats. I couldn't help myself, I like those seats because they were used in old Superstock Mopars. Behind the switch panel is a small fuse panel with a stainless steel cover. This simple car doesn't need many fuses. I should get the windshield next week and then I can test drive it.

Who needs a windshield? Jump in that baby and go for a spin. :D:D The whole car looks great Bob. I love these T coupes anyways, but you did a nice job on the whole thing.

I also envy you for those front spoked wheels.

Don

You guys are so complimentary and supportive it's an added benefit to building a hot rod. Thank you. The next report should be a road test, and soon too. Got to take care of that little puddle of ATF under the car, get my friend Farmer Don to stitch up some seat bottom covers in trade for the ton of scrap metal I gave him, put in the windshield, when I get it, that's about it. Hah! everyone knows there will be problems to fix once it get rolling.

Last edited:
2008_0520roomlocker0034.jpg

Leo stopped in Monday and asked if the Dodge ran. I dropped it off the jack stands and started it. The look on his face was priceless. I had not yet tried the $50 350 turbo so I put it in "R" and it backed up. I put it in "D" and it went forward. I power braked it and left this little patch. Guess I'll never grow up!

Ah, spinning the tires as soon as you determine that the car will move under it's own power. How Juvenile, I would never do anything like that:rolleyes:.

Congrats Bob. It seems like you just started on that project.

Way back in 1958, Leo bought his first car, a '41 Ford Coupe. He had a lot of trouble with it so he named it "Little Lemon". Well, I've been having my share of trouble with Big Dodge, so in honor of Leo's first car I had "Little Lemon" written on the deck lid. It's supposed to look like it was painted 40 years ago.
2008_0522littlelemon0001.jpg

Latest posts

Back