1928 Ford PU channeled 4.5" no chop.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gacannon

Channeled looked good to me so I channeled mine 4.5" and its taken allot of work to make it look clean. That was successful and I had a smile on my face when the job was completed.

Working on seating now. Ergonomics is important to me as I want to travel in the rod place to place. Been sitting on stacks of boards and such to get an idea of the ergonomics.

Bought some seats that had thin backs like the original ford bench seats. THey are as far back as the original without a doubt. The cab is stock ford with no changes in length. With the seats set low, your butt is low and your knee's high which is not exactly comfortable. I thought to myself that I have put many miles on an original 28 PU and been relatively comfortable, for even if Henry did not give my any extras for pickups in 28. The reason seems to be that the original bench seats sat much higher off the floor board. Your knees were more level with your butt. Of course, the cab is 4.5" lower now so head height is lower over all.

Therefore I guess the best situation will be the highest vertical elevation I can mount the seats and maintain headroom for my six foot frame.

Looking at some of the hot rod video's on the web, some builders must be very flexible or double jointed to fit into Chopped and channeled rods.

I can see now that if I chopped and tried to use the frame I had, I would be in trouble. I figured 4.5" channel would not cause much or a problem but given the same cab length, it does make quite a difference. Sitting in a kitchen chair, your knees are at butt height for the most part. Shorter chair, butt is lower with respect to the knees. Length of cab is fixed and cannot be changed, but now I know why they offer an additional 6" extension to the side panels for this cab for hot rod use. Expensive option however.

Is going as high as possible the best way for overall best ergonomics (COMFORT)

thanks

Gacannon

Yes High seat bottom is better,thats why driving in my Silverado for longer distances is more comfortable then driving in the low seat of my wifes Car. But then a hot rod is about looking cool, so comfort is not what they are build for.

When I built my Morris Eight hot rod it was a scrunched up, knees-in-your-face ride, which was okay around town, but on a long haul I ended up with blisters on my heels from taking the weight of my legs on them whilst keeping the weight off the gas and brake pedals.

Some decent thigh support built into your seat foam will make it far more comfortable than just a flat bench seat. That hurts, when your knees are up in the air.

Latest posts

Back