1929 International Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gee, I can't understand why your neighbors would not like a car being disected in the driveway right next door to them. :rolleyes: Not busting your chops, man, but what do you expect them to do..........looks like a pretty well kept neighborhood. It is one thing if you are out in the boondocks with no one around for miles, but in a close residential setting it is different.

Don

Well it wasn't the disconnecting a car that ****ed anyone off, that only took about three hours. It's actually the people across the street, they're the only ones that care what anyone does in this neighborhood. They call anytime we have a car that doesn't have current tags and doesn't run, no matter what the car looks like. I have a fairly nice military themed CJ-5 Jeep, and they called on that when I didn't drive it for a few months. Local code says anything not running or tagged must be out of public view, in a garage or behind a fence. They just have nothing better to do, they're crazy ladies that sit at home all day washing their sidewalk and grooming their lawn. Oh well. Anyway, I'm gonna try and work on making some friction shocks today or mounting the steering box.

I really understand both sides of the argument. For a lot of my life I was the guy who was getting code enforcement called on me. We built quite a few cars in our home garages and sometimes you have to push them outside to clean the garage or whatever. Whenever the cops would come I would use the logic that I did it with my two Sons and because they were so much into cars I never had any worries about them messing with drugs or getting into any trouble at all.

Now that I look back on it, I was actually a pretty inconsiderate neighbor and even my Sons say now that we shouldn't have been doing that stuff in a residential neighborhood where homes are right up against one another. The noise, clutter, and paint fumes are not fair to people who also paid good money for their homes and deserve to be able to enjoy them in peace.

No, I get it, but maybe my getting older has just changed the way I look at things a little bit. Sorry to interject this into the build of a very nice truck.

Don

No worries Don, I can see both sides too. Anyway, I accomplished my goal today and made some friction shocks! I hope they work alright.

IMAG0202.jpg

IMAG0201.jpg

The radius rods should be here by saturday I hope, so hopefully I'll get them going on sunday.

Well I got one side of the radius rods mostly done. Just have to weld up where they bolt on in the back. I'm going to do the other side in the next couple of days when I have a chance, but I have to go to a class monday through friday to get a certification for work, so progress may be a little slower next week. Anyway, pics!

IMAG0209.jpg

IMAG0211.jpg

Well the radius rods are all done! So I think the front end is all buttoned up. Next will be getting some steering figured out, then on to the rear end.

IMAG0212.jpg

I think I might get some spacers to kick the back of the rods out just a bit so they're not at such an angle
IMAG0215.jpg

Thats one of the coolest projects I've ever seen :) You gonna cut up the cab at all? Interior ideas?

If it were me, an old truck like that I'd make it a stakebed, just my 2 cents.

First off, I LOVE this truck. I live, Die, and bleed IHC red. Only problem I have with the build is Im to tall for it. Thats why I had to sell my model A. 302 wouldnt have been my first choice, but for the money, I'd have been all over it too. Nice work so far. I would be very jealous of you over it if (again) I could fit into it. 6'5 has its limitations

Holy hell, it's been over a year since I've posted anything on here. Let's get up to speed, shall we?

There has been very little progress on the truck. I got the steering mostly done, and that's been about it. I partly burned out a bit, but also spent my summer dedicated to something else...

Not to get into politics too much here, but did anyone hear about the recalls in Colorado over the recent gun control legislation? Well, I started one of those. So for the last 8 months I've done nothing but fight with politicians :D Matter of fact, I was in court on Monday suing the secretary of state lol. So I'm still in the thick of it, but it's finally winding down. As an aside, if there are any NRA member that get America's First Freedom magazine, I'm the tattooed guy on the cover this month :cool: lol

So anyway, I'm finally getting back into workin on the rod. My dad is doing great, cancer is still at bay and he's able to be more active than ever.

Now, onto the truck! I believe my next job will be setting up the rear end. I've got the 9 inch out of the Ranchero, and some air bags. I haven't decided what exact setup I'll go with (3 or 4 link, bag placement, etc.) still doing research on that. I did manage to gather a few other parts here and there though, so engine work will be coming soon I hope...

More updates as I get back into the swing of things!

Welcome back!!

Good luck fighting the politicians.....hope it goes well.....as for the carb set up...looks great.....be waiting for updates....[P

Alrighty, made some progress this weekend. I figured I need to get the rear end taken care of. Something about having a rolling chassis seems to get ya motivated. So I started by cutting the rear frame off and putting in a crossmember where I cut it.

I made some kick ups out of cardboard, then out of wood and mocked it up, and finally out of 2X3 1/4" rectangle tubing. After lots and lots of measuring, tacking, breaking it off and tacking again, measuring more, etc., here's what I ended up with.

After getting that much done, the backside of the kick ups were pretty easy. Here was the final product for the day.

The cross braces are just temporary, just pieces of angle and stuff I had laying around. I also got the axle all centered, pinion angle set, and welded on the air bag perches. I'm now waiting on the upper bag mounts, and I took all the measurements for the 4 link and ordered everything from speedway to get that done. So hopefully by next weekend the rear end will be mostly buttoned up and I can weld everything in place permanently.

While I'm waiting for the 4 link stuff, I thought I'd put together the headers. I haven't done any engine stuff yet, but I don't have any headers for it so I couldn't really start it even if I wanted to. I ordered the universal lake header kit from Speedway, and was originally going to put it together like a "regular" set, like this-

However, my dad had a different take on it. He mostly was concerned about the exhaust coming back into the cab and/or blowing onto the body itself. He wanted them lower and closer to the ground, where as I originally thought about having them higher up around the mid body line. After we mocked it all up and played with the pipes, the idea of putting them lower and angling down actually worked out well. So here was about the mid stage of assembly-

Here it is all tacked up-

And finally the finished product-

I only got the one side done, matching it up on the driver side will be really fun I'm sure :rolleyes: Hopefully I'll get it at least tacked up tomorrow, but I know the suspension stuff will be coming in so I might jump back onto that. We'll see, either way hopefully more updates coming throughout the week.

Latest posts

Back