1931 Chevy Independence Coupe Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well there are quite a few jems sitting around in farmer's fields and backyards on farms, but most of them give you the same...." My son/grandson wants to fix it up one day " stories...

I've lost a lot of potential projects because of that, and those vehicles never did get done. The projects I ended up getting instead were way better and more unique though, so I guess it all works out.

I'm planning on being a little different. I've got a '56 331ci Hemi for it. I'm going to back it with a TH350. Not sure about rear end yet.

That's going to be a sweet powertrain and should get a few guys angry. Perfect.

Got the passenger door framed and squared up. Then took 1"x2" tubing and made the front door post to mount the door to. The passenger front of the body feels pretty solid now. 8 hours later, I had the door mounted and working decent. Now I turned the car around in the garage to start the work on the driver's side door. That door will hopefully be done by next weekend.
C4DE5879-E4FB-45C1-B8EF-8630CDB5E94C.jpg

79FADD1B-2906-4599-ACCE-FF04E9161DF2.jpg

FC8E4E20-B0E0-4BAB-AD79-9C323B58F4F9.jpg

03CF2ACB-C5DE-488A-B6CB-88CCB1A4075D.jpg

thats sweet ride, I'm doing a 31 chev five window also in Red Deer,Alberta.
I have front fenders and rear fenders in great shape for sale look on kijiji. check out my build, I'll be watching yours!! Mike

sweet!!! love these little coupes.... I love the way you did the doors, im goin to do something similar to mine. ill be watching your build also. I have a 32 chevy coupe but I don't post a lot of pics.

Well the build has been pretty slow as I have been down with a cold for the last couple weeks. Starting to feel a bit better so figured I'd get back out to the shop. After replacing the two week old regulator on my mig tank, I got back to the driver's door. I had it all welded up and hung it.......argh...out of square!!! Take it off and cut it apart I did. Rewelded everything and hung it again. Fits good this time! [cl

0EE260AD-0A0C-4E00-95C1-7B5C74128791.jpg

7F8976FD-2695-4938-B4FB-D1EAE7B3CC00.jpg

From day one, I knew I didn't like the style of the trunk lid. I didn't like the way comes all the way up to the back window. Kinda looked funny to me. So I ended up finding a '32 trunk lid here in Sask that I picked up. I'll be bracing up the rear deck area and filling it in. About 10" of rear deck will make it look better I think.

This first photo is the original trunk lid.

4CB1C192-CCA0-4EFE-9D52-77EF358FAC32.jpg

The next photos are of the '32 lid sitting in place.

F96251A3-0CD7-4C5D-BB70-8923EB838B1C.jpg

A7F2CE67-9C0B-4753-B60A-5621EECB1134.jpg

C4E39CB1-CBFE-44DC-AA3D-494F22C2D187.jpg

Now that's enough for tonight. Tomorrow's another day!

great job on the doors! you 31/32 chevy guy's are coming out of the "woodwork" lol. sure wish I could get back to work on mine:( keep the pictures coming, might have to steal some idea's from you.

are you going to run side glass? I'm just about to start my side glass frame work it sucks.

I was planning on it. But I'm hoping to be driving it before I worry about the side glass. I figured that it would be a p.i.t.a to fabricate window tracks. That will be the last thing on the list though.

love the 32 deck lid. I was thinking you was goin to chop the top but after seeing your frames im guessing not. [cl

I am planning on chopping it. But I want to make sure that I have the whole steel structure solid inside the body so there is absolutely no movement when I remove the top. Once the structure is done, she'll be getting a haircut for sure. Not sure how much yet though. I'm 5'11" so I still want to be comfortable. I plan on a 5" channel as well.

Be careful, you run out of comfortable space quick when working with coupes :eek:
Not just you but, your 6' 6" buddy will hate riding with you :(

Only had a few hours in the shop tonight so I figured I tackle the supports for the trunk. ****Note to self.... Don't go apesh!t and weld every cut in the tubing all the way along, because you'll end up with the curve not even being close to what you had it tacked to.*** I ended up making more and more cuts until I ended up with the proper curve. Now to trace it out and make the next one in about a quarter of the time tomorrow.

Looks good, I rolled my tubes with a tubing roller, saves the cutting/welding headache. I agree with 93 blazer, Chevys are way bigger, mine is chopped 6" and channeled 6", I fit no problem and I'm 6'1". I have a 32 Hudson that makes my chevy look small. Haha

Got some work done this weekend. I made up both trunk braces and have them welded in place now. Also, the trunk opening had spread apart about 2" because of the rear quarters being so flimsy do to the rotten wood. Needed to use a come-a-long to pull the sides together before I welded all of the rear supports in place. Starting to get real solid now.

Next will be installing the drip channels inside the trunk opening, working on the rear deck, and installing the trunk lid hinges....

Latest posts

Back