1933 chevy tudor sedan aka Project Copper Tone!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pulled the drive shaft out this afternoon, removed the front u joint to replace it. ORearry's actually had one on the shelf. So I got that changed out. No more vibrations above 25mph. Decided while I was at it that I'd inspect the slip yoke and old u-joint. I'm thinking I forgot to load it with grease after installing it in the car. You could see where it got a little hot in spots. No burnelling though so I know it wasn't over greased ever. As for the yoke, yeah, it's been beat on a little too hard in the past so there's some slop there. I'll find a new yoke this winter and get her changed out but its not causing any vibrations. Hopefully I won't have to have another shaft made cause I still have to get the one from the 31 balanced.

So the old lady an I took the car out last night for a run to Wally World. The vibrations got a lot worse. So today I decided to pull it into the shop and check everything out. I was able to move the axle shafts side to side pretty easily without even pulling the wheels off. Pulled the axles out and the bearings and seals are toast. Got one side disassembled and cleaned up in preparation to replace the bearings and seals. Starting on the other side now. Really wishing I pulled the car all the way in but I've got some wheel fillets I can throw under the ass end and slide it back a few feet so she's all in the garage for the night.

hopefully you got it this time.. i thought I had it solved a few times before i actually did... Good luck

So I decided yesterday that I was gonna take her to a car show in great falls, mt. And by take it, I mean drive her and trailer the 31 with the tow rig. Didn't start out well, I forgot the key on Friday night in her but was able to get her jump started fairly quickly. Got on the road around 7:30 am for my 115mile trip. Didn't get it 26 miles before disaster insued. I was cruising at about 65 mph and everything felt real good until it grabbed really hard on the driver's side. Thought it was the road until it happened again so I pulled over. Pulled off the hubcap on the drivers front and smoke just started bellowing out. I wasn't in the safest of places so I limped it along the side of the road for another mile or so at 2mph until I came to the first dirt road I found. Pulled off the hubcap again and it was real bad. Called the ol' lady and finished the trip with just the 31 in tow and picked Coppertone back up after we got back. I'm hoping the spindle is okay but I won't know for sure until I remove everything today and inspect it all. On a positive note, it sure made for a good photo op.

Bummer. You might have taken home two trophies. :D

Hope the damage is minor. Glad nobody molested her while unattended.

And yes, nice pic.

Well, pulled the driver's side apart. Rotor's okay, so are the pads, and the caliper. Downfall is the spindle is trashed as are the kingpin bushings. Luckily I have some spare kingpin parts and the other spindle from the parts axle. So all I'll have to order are the new bearings.

Well, pulled the driver's side apart. Rotor's okay, so are the pads, and the caliper. Downfall is the spindle is trashed as are the kingpin bushings. Luckily I have some spare kingpin parts and the other spindle from the parts axle. So all I'll have to order are the new bearings.
And people wonder why we save all those old parts. [cl

Well, pulled her apart and got her cleaned up. Turns out the bearings failed because in my sleeplesness, I set the preload too tight. Luckily, I caught the passenger side in time and didn't destroy anymore than the outer bearing. So she's back together and ready for a longer test run. May do take her out to Chinook or Big Sandy tomorrow. I haven't quite decided but I have got to do some longer drives with her before I know she's good to go for the summer.

Latest posts

Back