1933 chevy tudor sedan aka Project Copper Tone!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good! Lots of work but worthwhile to save it. The sludge is more likely the result of not changing the oil regularly plus the oil back then was not of the quality it is now. Once the oil rings fail, the oil gets contaminated with fuel and carbon deposits speeding up the sludge buildup. The light grey goo you sometimes find is ash from low quality oil - remember service stations used to have a rack by the pumps with open quarts of bulk oil - glass bottles with the spouts on them?

Good point zz. Im not old enough to remember the old service stations. In fact ever since I was younger all I can remember are the self service pumps.

jb, remember that the lifters have a specific lifter bore, make sure they go back into the same bore they came out of.
Check the lifters, if they have a concaved bottom, replace them.
You piston cleaning is great [cl
[P[P[P

We used to say when you found an engine that gummed up that they ran Quaker State oil in it If it wasn’t changed regularly it would gum one up fast. Quaker State oil used to be high in paraffin content, don’t know if it still is or not.

We used to say when you found an engine that gummed up that they ran Quaker State oil in it If it wasn’t changed regularly it would gum one up fast. Quaker State oil used to be high in paraffin content, don’t know if it still is or not.

We had the same thoughts...:D

Still cleaning lifters. Every single one so far looks as if there is chocolate milk in them once disassembled so Im guessing the engine sucked water a few too many times. Cleaned up they are all looking good and check out. Hopefully finish this up today so I can pull the cam, clean it, and get all the junk out of the lifter valley. Then flip the block over and clean the crank. Right now its coated with white lithium grease to keep it protected. I know I should replace the bearings but the thrust is good at .010” and the rear main doesnt look to be leaking and we all know hoe these fes are with rear mains.

Looks like I should have pulled the cam before cleaning lifters. Cam is toast. It doesn’t appear to have any flat spots but due to sitting for so long and drinking water, theres a lot of pitting on the lobes. So now I have to decide if I want to go with a factory cam or one with a bit more snort. I’m thinking 1800-5800 rpm range and just a hair more lift and duration. And I guess while I’m at it I’ll pull the crank so I can replace all the bearings. May as well do a full rebuild now that I’ve gone this far.

Cam selection is something I've always had a hard time with. Common sense says add lift and not too much duration to make more torque and power over a lower broader range, which is actually where the engine lives in the real world...
However every time I look at specs I'm thinking - that wild and lumpy cam doesn't cost more than a mild one and that glorious lopey, lumpy idle is so tempting, I just can't resist throwing common sense out the window:eek:.
I used a Thumper cam in the rat motor in my 36 Packard - loved the sound but of course it was a turd at low rpm with a stock converter and 2.75 gears - but it sounded so Kool :D

Cam selection is something I've always had a hard time with. Common sense says add lift and not too much duration to make more torque and power over a lower broader range, which is actually where the engine lives in the real world...
However every time I look at specs I'm thinking - that wild and lumpy cam doesn't cost more than a mild one and that glorious lopey, lumpy idle is so tempting, I just can't resist throwing common sense out the window:eek:.
I used a Thumper cam in the rat motor in my 36 Packard - loved the sound but of course it was a turd at low rpm with a stock converter and 2.75 gears - but it sounded so Kool :D

Glad someone understands. Im leaning towards this cam, and whether I go with almost stock to wild, I have to work the heads so it’s the same price across the board. Im really leaning towards this one as it’ll be in the rpm range that I want. My only concern is the gearing. Since I’m only running 3.08s, they may be a bit too high geared. But aside from that, everything should play well together.

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=939&sb=2

What diameter rear tires are you going to run?
3.08 with 26" to 30" tall tires should be about right.
If you run an OD tranny, it'll be too high [P[P[P

What diameter rear tires are you going to run?
3.08 with 26" to 30" tall tires should be about right.
If you run an OD tranny, it'll be too high [P[P[P

I’m running 8.50-15 firestone cheaters so roughly 31” diameter. Not an od tranny, t-19 with the granny low. Even with the 360, she wanted to lift up the front tires on hot asphault.

I’m running 8.50-15 firestone cheaters so roughly 31” diameter. Not an od tranny, t-19 with the granny low. Even with the 360, she wanted to lift up the front tires on hot asphault.

Right On [cl :cool:
I'm running 29" tall tires with 2.75 gears, Buick 401 Nailhead and a Borg Warner Super T10 four speed in my 33 Pontiac and it does extremely well.
2,300 at 70 mph with a hole shot from hell to boot [ddd
:eek: Had to stop and laugh at myself :p
Had a laps of what we were discussing :confused:
The cam selection :D will be great for your engine :cool:

Got the bottom end back together today. I had forgotten how big a pain in the ass the rear main/cap was to put in. Got the new cam ordered today so tomorrow I’ll take a set of heads apart to machine them for the new springs and valve seals. Figure while Im at it I’ll clean and lap the valves.

Heads are now ready. It’s funny how some of these old engines are. One side, the head had been rebuilt at one time and has press in guides and seats. The other appears to be stock. If it were going into a daily driver I’d be sending them off to be built but I’m gonna be cheap and just keep em the way they are. Now it’s just the waiting game.

After really thinking about it and talking with a buddy of mine, I’ve decided that it’d be in my best interest to have the bad head rebuilt. Had him look them over real good and the guides are real sloppy along with starting to suck in. So looks like on monday I’ve got to call around to a few machine shops. I think I’ll take em both heads and get the one fully rebuilt an the other I’ll have them deck. Theyre not warped but I think a little bit more compression will be good on this ol’ girl. Also, turns out these heads are the C8AE-H so 68-69 390-428 heads and the other set I have(with burned valves and broken exhaust bolts) are the DT2A-A heads so they’re 73-76 low compression truck heads and from what it appears have extremely restrictive ports. Only plus they have is the hardened seats but they would also need rebuilt.

Latest posts

Back