1936 chevy build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willmceliece

hey guys, i have this posted over at KB but thought id get it over here too. im will, i live in kennesaw, georgia, and im 20 yeas old. about two months ago i got a 36' chevy low cab, and the start of a 2x4 frame. the body is sectioned 8 inches, and channeled 4' over the rails. 8" Z up front and 18" in the back. 350/ 350(kinda boring but cheap), 4" speedway dropped axle, ford spindles w/ chevy discs. shortened 9" rear with 4 link. heres a little review of what i got thus far. this is my first ground up build, and ive gotten so much info and help from you guys, so any ideas, things to changs, like/ dislike lets hear em! ill update as we progress, will
IMG_0241.jpg

willspics128.jpg

willspics127.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

thanks brother, i had a big mess with the tube axle so i actually just swapped it out for a superbell and pete and jakes batwings, pic coming soon!

Looks really good willmceliece. Do you have any more pics of the upper 4-bar mounts at the front. I can't figure them out in the picture.

Looks good for starters. Nice job on the frame so far. Am looking forward to your updates.

here ya go gastrick
IMG_0218.jpg

quick question, i had the truck originally set up for a 700r4, but bought a th400 tonight. is the mount the only difference?

Thanks for the additional photo.

The TH400 and 700R4 bolt up the same to the engine if that's what you meant by difference willmceliece. You'll just have to move the mount like you already stated. Here's a handy dimension chart for you.

I'd keep the 700R4 it's lighter, has less fictional loss, low first gear, and overdrive. The TH400s are great but is older technology, but bullet proof if you're running a big block.

that is a great diagram, thanks brother, saved! dmw, the 700 was a buddies, i was going to run but the fluid looked and smelled toasty, so i found a newly rebuilt 400 for a price i couldnt turn down. i guess that means i can dog the sheot out of it and it'll last.

i like a little overbuilt! haha so far she just has a mild cam, but later down the road when i recoup from the spending on the truck, i may just put some more go fast goodies on the old sbc. but then again i do have a Nixon drag boat front mount for BBC...hmm

well. after patiently waiting for ups to bring all my crap i finnally got the front end re done. i shortened it 8 inches, superbell axle, pete and jakes suicide batwings, and new hair pins all on. also redid the spring perch and hairpin mounts. i still have to beef up the perch some. got my coker wwws and a turbo 400 tranny. also got my body mounts on and bolted up. next is yank the body to put on another crossmember for the tranny, finish the floor and tunnel, and take that top down two inches. anyone got any advice on where to cut this sucker? the two pics are photo chopped to get an idea.
chopv2.jpg

willspics134.jpg

willspics130.jpg

willspics131.jpg

Latest posts

Back